3.99 / 172 LSAT w/ Engineering GPA, chances at Yale? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
meemoolawyer

New

3.99 / 172 LSAT w/ Engineering GPA, chances at Yale?

Post by meemoolawyer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:40 pm

Hey there,

Just took the June LSAT, and came out with those scores. I'll be applying in the current cycle, but I'm considering waiting off a year to take the LSAT again and aim for a couple points higher. I was PTing around 173, but up to the test was scoring around 176-177.

I'm currently a non-URM, double major in computer science and philosophy at a top 15 school with those stats. I've been taking a lot of course units and bulking up on Masters courses to make my transcript puff up, so those numbers are pretty solid. I did a bit of checking on MyLSN and Yale, my dream school, seems to yield me only about a 25-30% chance of getting in.

However, I've heard that your softs matter a lot more for schools like that because way more kids in my range are applying to Yale, so I wanted to know what would really push me over the edge. My softs are *okay*, I was the president of two different clubs, one focused on philosophy and the other on community activism. I spent my summers working at large, "big name" software companies. But I wouldn't say I have something that really makes your eyes pop. I wanted to know if it was worth it to retake, and whether my major choice / courses would be a big factor.

Thanks!

Dcc617

Gold

Re: 3.99 / 172 LSAT w/ Engineering GPA, chances at Yale?

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:46 pm

You have a chance, but it's a crap shoot. Why only Yale and not Stanford or Harvard?

meemoolawyer

New

Post by meemoolawyer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:50 pm

Damn, thanks for the quick reply haha!

I'll be applying to the top 10 law schools, and I'm definitely interested in Stanford and Harvard as well. I always wanted to go to Yale, but I'll be putting equal effort into my Harvard and Stanford admissions.

I forgot some softs:
I spent two years volunteering at immigration clinics, and also wrote opinion for my college newspaper for a couple years. I also TA for the Computer Science department. These, however, seem more like small things rather than real sells.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:29 am

Last edited by Platopus on Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil_Gorsuch

New

Post by Neil_Gorsuch » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:39 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”