Admission Chances For T25 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
amorga14

New

Admission Chances For T25

Post by amorga14 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Hey all!

I’m inquiring as to my chances of admission into a top 25 program. My gpa is 3.87 and my LSAT score is 160. I am Latino, and therefore have URM status. I go to a state school in the rural Midwest. What follows is a list of the “soft” aspects of my application:

• I took senior-level courses as a freshman and graduate-level courses as a sophomore and received A’s in all of them.
• I had a McNair research internship.
• I have an article published in Psychology Today.
• I was a finalist for the Truman Scholarship.
• I have presented at 8 conferences or so (will only be listing a few on my resume, such as the AAA and ASA).
• I am in contact with several top lawyers (both likely in the top 20 criminal defense attorneys of all time) and learning cross-examination skills, etc. from them.
• I took part in a service project to raise money for food to feed orphans.
• I am in the acknowledgements of a book published in NYU press on inequity in the criminal justice system.
• I have been involved in three research projects total, one of them independently driven and the other two based on a faculty member’s research.
• I have teaching experience (several guest lectures and a teaching internship)
• Lots of travel experience (Mexico, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc.)
• I can get by with Spanish, and was raised in a Spanish-speaking household.
• I write for the university newspaper.
• I’m involved with several student groups on campus.
• I come from a single-parent household.
• I’m bisexual.

What do you think my chances are to get into a T14 program? A T25 program? Really counting on these soft factors, here.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Re: Admission Chances For T25

Post by BulletTooth » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:35 pm

amorga14 wrote:Hey all!

I’m inquiring as to my chances of admission into a top 25 program. My gpa is 3.87 and my LSAT score is 160. I am Latino, and therefore have URM status. I go to a state school in the rural Midwest. What follows is a list of the “soft” aspects of my application:

• I took senior-level courses as a freshman and graduate-level courses as a sophomore and received A’s in all of them.
• I had a McNair research internship.
• I have an article published in Psychology Today.
• I was a finalist for the Truman Scholarship.
• I have presented at 8 conferences or so (will only be listing a few on my resume, such as the AAA and ASA).
• I am in contact with several top lawyers (both likely in the top 20 criminal defense attorneys of all time) and learning cross-examination skills, etc. from them.
• I took part in a service project to raise money for food to feed orphans.
• I am in the acknowledgements of a book published in NYU press on inequity in the criminal justice system.
• I have been involved in three research projects total, one of them independently driven and the other two based on a faculty member’s research.
• I have teaching experience (several guest lectures and a teaching internship)
• Lots of travel experience (Mexico, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc.)
• I can get by with Spanish, and was raised in a Spanish-speaking household.
• I write for the university newspaper.
• I’m involved with several student groups on campus.
• I come from a single-parent household.
• I’m bisexual.

What do you think my chances are to get into a T14 program? A T25 program? Really counting on these soft factors, here.
You're a long shot at most t14s, but you'll have a chance at some t25s. I don't know how much weight the soft factors (other than URM and maybe bisexual) will play into your chances. You may want to consider retaking as a couple points (3-4) could give you a much better chance at breaking into the t14 and getting good $ from t25s.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:23 am

Just a clarifying question:

When you say that you're Latino, can you be more specific? Some Latinx groups are considered URMs, but others aren't. If you're in the latter group, you need to retake for your goals. And as already mentioned, you're a long shot at the top schools with a URM boost, so retaking is a good idea regardless.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 am

5 more points on the LSAT is going to mean a good deal more than all your softs piled together ten times over. Retake the LSAT.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:46 am

how do you know if someone is in the top 20 of criminal defense lawyers of all time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:01 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:how do you know if someone is in the top 20 of criminal defense lawyers of all time?
Homemade plaque on the office wall.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:16 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:how do you know if someone is in the top 20 of criminal defense lawyers of all time?
Homemade plaque on the office wall.
USNWR has a new survey and office library size is a huge factor.

amorga14

New

Post by amorga14 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:12 pm

They're in the trial lawyers hall of fame, nationally recognized, and have participated in (and won) high profile cases. Selection for the trial lawyers hall of fame is peer-determined and quite rigorous.

GFox345

Bronze

Post by GFox345 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:56 pm

amorga14 wrote:
They're in the trial lawyers hall of fame, nationally recognized, and have participated in (and won) high profile cases. Selection for the trial lawyers hall of fame is peer-determined and quite rigorous.
I suggest you rigorously study for the LSAT and retake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:57 pm

amorga14 wrote:
Glorious.

amorga14

New

Post by amorga14 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:14 am

Do y'all at least think that I could get into the University of Washington (I want to practice law in the Pacific Northwest)? Or how about Washington and Lee? I know it's just a guessing game, but it makes me feel a lot better to have the reassurance of others.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:21 am

amorga14 wrote:Do y'all at least think that I could get into the University of Washington (I want to practice law in the Pacific Northwest)? Or how about Washington and Lee? I know it's just a guessing game, but it makes me feel a lot better to have the reassurance of others.
Yeah, you have a decent shot at UW. But it still wouldn't hurt to move that lsat closer to the median, which is usually 163 or 164.

W&L makes zero sense if you want to practice here in the PNW. None at all.
Last edited by mcmand on Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:16 am

amorga14 wrote:Do y'all at least think that I could get into the University of Washington (I want to practice law in the Pacific Northwest)? Or how about Washington and Lee? I know it's just a guessing game, but it makes me feel a lot better to have the reassurance of others.
I know that expecting a response to some of the questions you've completely ignored is just wishful thinking at this point, but...

Earlier in the thread, I asked what your specific ethnic background is. You classified yourself as a URM because you're Latino, but only some Latinx groups actually get the URM boost (Mexicans and Puerto Ricans seem to be the only two groups everyone can agree on). So it's actually pretty important, because if you don't actually qualify as a URM, then it completely changes the equation.

mcmand

Silver

Post by mcmand » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”