Any chances for GT or GW part time? I am an attorney Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
equitus

New

Any chances for GT or GW part time? I am an attorney

Post by equitus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:26 am

Hi, Here is my story: I graduated from the top law school with horrible GPA (2.1) around 16 years ago (2.1 was an undergrad GPA; in my home country, a law school was an undergraduate where students majored in law and were awarded LLB (Bachelor of Laws)). After 6 years of working for a venture that was listed on public market in my country, I got into GW LLM (Master of laws), graduated with 3.0 GPA, and passed a NY bar on my first try. After that, I worked as an in-house legal counsel for Samsung and as a head of legal team for Sovereign Wealth Fund in Asia (Fund's AUM was 150 billion USD). Last year, I came back to the US and now running a boutique law firm with other partner at metro D.C. area. I would like to study at GW or GT part time JD because 1 year LLM program was too short for me to have a deep understanding of US law and legal system. I plan to take LSAT in September and submit application this year.

Any chances for GT or GW part time JD if I secure LSAT score?

In summary:
GPA: 2.1 from undergraduate i& 3.0 from GW law
NY bar license holder
14 years of working experiences (8 years as an attorney after GW law)
One publication (the first book in my country regarding alternative investment)

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Any chances for GT or GW part time? I am an attorney

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:15 am

I don't get it. Why do you want a JD?

equitus

New

Post by equitus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:27 am

Two reasons for my pursuing JD: (1) understanding of US laws relating to my specialties including international transaction & investments, and immigration; and (2) JD degree is required to sit for a Virginia Bar. The graduate from US LLM with foreign law degree cannot sit for a VA bar.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:32 pm

equitus wrote:Two reasons for my pursuing JD: (1) understanding of US laws relating to my specialties including international transaction & investments, and immigration; and (2) JD degree is required to sit for a Virginia Bar. The graduate from US LLM with foreign law degree cannot sit for a VA bar.
I do not know about number 2 but a JD definitely won't provide you with number 1.

equitus

New

Post by equitus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Apart from 'why JD', can you provide your thoughts on the chances for admission?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:13 pm

If you hit at or above GT/GW's LSAT median, you'd probably be close to a lock for admission considering your work experience and prior LLM (assuming you can enter a JD program after taking the Bar).
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it's allgood

Bronze

Post by it's allgood » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:00 pm

equitus wrote:Apart from 'why JD', can you provide your thoughts on the chances for admission?
I think you should email GT and GW and tell them your unique situation and see if you are eligible to apply. If you are, then I really don't see why you would not have a good chance to get in if you score above their medians for the LSAT because foreign gpa is not factored in as a US undergrad gpa is. But having already passed a bar is a unique situation that virtually no one in a JD program goes in with--so ask the schools!!!!

DolnaRay

New

Post by DolnaRay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:23 am

Foreign GPA might not matter as much as say US GPA, but nevertheless it is important. Your LSAC evaluation will be termed as average if you are lucky, or below average ( worst case scenario).

You have many plus going for you - you have passed the bar, have extensive work experience etc. Just crush the LSAT - get 175+, and apply to GT, you might have a pleasant surprise...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”