Super splitter, looking at fringe t14 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hegelexercises

New

Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Post by hegelexercises » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi TLS,

I've done a fair bit of research and looked through MyLSN but wanted to ask you folks for some perspective as well given my super splitter status. Undergrad LSAC GPA is a 3.06, major GPA 3.87. I have a bit of a strange situation, as the primary reason for my low GPA is my first three semesters of college straight out of high school. I wasn't mentally prepared for school and ended up doing extremely poorly--multiple Ds and Fs--and dropped out and enlisted in the military. I was eventually medically discharged with a service-connected disability, and returned to school and had a clear and significant upward trend to bring my GPA over a 3.0, with the only hiccup being a semester I had to drop several courses, because of a medical issue related to my disability.

My LORs and softs I believe to be very strong, I won a number of undergraduate awards, I have one year of work experience in the startup community, and my LSAT is 173. I'm going to UChicago for an MA and hope that a high GPA will help show my improvement a bit more. My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?

AdieuCali

Bronze

Re: Super splitter, looking at fringe t14

Post by AdieuCali » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:33 pm

PM'd

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:51 pm

hegelexercises wrote:Hi TLS,

I've done a fair bit of research and looked through MyLSN but wanted to ask you folks for some perspective as well given my super splitter status. Undergrad LSAC GPA is a 3.06, major GPA 3.87. I have a bit of a strange situation, as the primary reason for my low GPA is my first three semesters of college straight out of high school. I wasn't mentally prepared for school and ended up doing extremely poorly--multiple Ds and Fs--and dropped out and enlisted in the military. I was eventually medically discharged with a service-connected disability, and returned to school and had a clear and significant upward trend to bring my GPA over a 3.0, with the only hiccup being a semester I had to drop several courses, because of a medical issue related to my disability.

My LORs and softs I believe to be very strong, I won a number of undergraduate awards, I have one year of work experience in the startup community, and my LSAT is 173. I'm going to UChicago for an MA and hope that a high GPA will help show my improvement a bit more. My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?
Comrade,

You're probably in at NU and Michigan. And you'd probably get into at least one or two higher ranked schools. I don't think Harvard/S/Y are out of the picture either.

There is a fantastic veteran-led program that helps people work through the application process. They'd pair you up with someone who had your same stats/situation.

It is called Service 2 Schools. I highly recommend it. They have stupidly good access to admissions people, among other things.

Also, if you want to reach out to UCHI-based vets, or the NU Law's veterans association, just let me know, we got you.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Wipfelder wrote:

Comrade,

You're probably in at NU and Michigan. And you'd probably get into at least one or two higher ranked schools. I don't think Harvard/S/Y are out of the picture either.

There is a fantastic veteran-led program that helps people work through the application process. They'd pair you up with someone who had your same stats/situation.

It is called Service 2 Schools. I highly recommend it. They have stupidly good access to admissions people, among other things.

Also, if you want to reach out to UCHI-based vets, or the NU Law's veterans association, just let me know, we got you.
HYS and most definitely out of the picture with OP's LSAC GPA.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:10 pm

hegelexercises wrote:My ultimate dream schools are Michigan and Northwestern, but I more realistically am shooting for UCLA/GULC range schools. What are my chances?
Likely in at NU. (In fact, I'd say you have a better chance at NU than UCLA). You also have a good shot at Michigan. Apply broadly, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:43 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

Comrade,

False. (Speaking anecdotally, based on friends with that GPA attending HYS)

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

Comrade,

Really? You have multiple friends attending Harvard, Yale, and Stanford with a 3.0x LSAC GPA? Or is the reality a little closer to this: "Well, actually it's just one friend at Harvard and I don't know his exact GPA but I think it's pretty low"?

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:16 pm

Yeah, the lowest GPA admitted at Yale last year was 3.45. It was 3.21 at Chicago. I don't think H and S are admitting multiple candidates below that.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:21 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

Comrade,

Really? You have multiple friends attending Harvard, Yale, and Stanford with a 3.0x LSAC GPA? Or is the reality a little closer to this: "Well, actually it's just one friend at Harvard and I don't know his exact GPA but I think it's pretty low"?
My statement wasn't wholly accurate: attend/attended HYS. But also, didn't see their LSAC GPA for myself, so this is second hand.

If you are a decorated veteran (especially from a service academy) with a 3.0+ GPA and a 170's LSAT you have a shot at HYS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:17 am

Wipfelder wrote:My statement wasn't wholly accurate: attend/attended HYS. But also, didn't see their LSAC GPA for myself, so this is second hand.

If you are a decorated veteran (especially from a service academy) with a 3.0+ GPA and a 170's LSAT you have a shot at HYS.
So in other words, you're kind of guessing. And as pointed out, the actual released numbers say that you're wrong. HYS all have pretty strict GPA floors and almost never favor splitters.

sanzgo

New

Post by sanzgo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:16 am

Wipfelder wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:

Comrade,

False. I'd rather believe official numbers released by HYS than some random TLS user's anecdote.

That being said, you have a pretty good chance nabbing a T-14 given your stats + we.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”