2.86 GPA, 3.46 Masters GPA, 5 years experience in international development (NGOs, UN) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
bibik786

New

2.86 GPA, 3.46 Masters GPA, 5 years experience in international development (NGOs, UN)

Post by bibik786 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Hi All,

Here is my story in a nutshell.

1. Undergrad Degree GPA: 2.86 - I went to a top 30 university, had no idea what I wanted to do, went through some personal stuff at home and came out with a 2.86 GPA (double major + minor).
2. Work Experience: I spent three years working and interning for NGOs, a think tank, volunteering abroad
3. Graduate Degree GPA: 3.46 - Got into a top three university for public administration, focused on international development, and came out with a 3.46 GPA. This is lower than I had hoped because I was very active professionally. I was an intern and consultant for a few UN agencies nearly full time and I did some research internationally.
4. Work Experience: now working at the UN for two years since grad school
5. Central-Asian female

Keeping in mind this trajectory, and if I can score 170+ on the LSAT (my scores are promising), what are my chances of getting into a T14 school. My first choice is NYU.

bibik786

New

Re: 2.86 GPA, 3.46 Masters GPA, 5 years experience in international development (NGOs, UN)

Post by bibik786 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:00 pm

I forgot to add, I'm 8 years out of undergrad - aka 8 years removed from my atrocious GPA. :oops: :(

laqueredup

Bronze

Re: 2.86 GPA, 3.46 Masters GPA, 5 years experience in international development (NGOs, UN)

Post by laqueredup » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:41 am

Hey,

I think that while NYU will be a very long shot, you have a better shot at a few T14 acceptances if you break 171.

Source: 2.7/ 173 STEM major from a notorious grade deflator with 10 years military experience/3.8 engineering MS and did not get into NYU. I did get into UVA, Georgetown, Northwestern, Penn, and Duke (off the waitlist). I think my focus on tech/law intersection is what rung true with Penn's interdisciplinary focus and got me into my long shot. Maybe your NGO and UN experience will speak to NYU? Make sure you try to tell an interesting story with your PS and resume. I'm sure you have one to tell. A 171+ LSAT and interesting WE will get most of the schools to take a second look despite the GPA. If you get to that point, your story will matter, and it won't be numbers only ( I do think there is a psychological barrier between 2.99 and 3.01 for most schools above NW, but everyone up to Penn dips below 3.0 a few times per cycle based on LSN). I can't speak to chances at $$ as the schools knew I had GI bill, but I wouldn't expect much.

Good Luck!

bibik786

New

Post by bibik786 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:06 am

Thanks for your reply! I'm based in New York and have a background in women/children's rights + international development (NGOs and UN), so the dream is NYU law given their strong international/human rights curriculum. I've also taken an NYU law class on human rights with Philip Alston during grad school and it was absolutely phenomenal - another reason for my interest in NYU. Additionally - I attended NYU undergrad and graduate school, so I have quite a history with the institution. I'm hoping my NYU connection/history (relationships with professors and the network in general) will help.

It's really a shame regarding the bias on the GPA range. People grow into their expertise/strengths at different rates and at different times - its often circumstantial and this is unfortunate for those of us who shine later on in life as opposed to when they were 18 y/o :).

Your 10 year military experience is quite impressive - I'm hoping my 8 years in the NGO/UN field will be useful on the application.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”