CHANCE ME Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Andersblooms93

New

CHANCE ME

Post by Andersblooms93 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:03 am

At long last I get to post...long time lurker.
Applying this fall with a 3.6 lsac gpa and 170 lsat. Half AA-URM. no WE, strong LOR.

Really aiming for one of the T3, contemplating re-taking in September (only have a part-time job this summer).

Chance me!

thanks

GFox345

Bronze

Re: CHANCE ME

Post by GFox345 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Retaking can never really hurt. I urge you to reconsider on the T3 though. Go to a school in the mid-to-lower T14 for free.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu May 25, 2017 3:47 pm

GFox345 wrote: Go to a school in the mid-to-lower T14 for free.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu May 25, 2017 4:03 pm

GFox345 wrote:I urge you to reconsider on the T3 though. Go to a school in the mid-to-lower T14 for free.
We don't know anything about OPs goals or financial situation. Could be someone who has Y goals and would get max need-based aid. This is probably the right advice, but we don't know if it is.

Andersblooms93

New

Post by Andersblooms93 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:13 pm

guybourdin wrote:
GFox345 wrote:I urge you to reconsider on the T3 though. Go to a school in the mid-to-lower T14 for free.
We don't know anything about OPs goals or financial situation. Could be someone who has Y goals and would get max need-based aid. This is probably the right advice, but we don't know if it is.
Truth be told, my goal is to attend a T3. To pre-empt the flurry of outrage that will likely ensue regarding my willingness to pay sticker price V. $$$ at lower T-14 - my objective is fixed on T3 because my father attended Stanford. Friendly competition going on...you know how it goes -- make your father proud and all.

That being said, clerkship and legislative staffer are my career goals - though I am under no illusion that these are subject to change with the passage of time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VeiledProtectorate

New

Post by VeiledProtectorate » Thu May 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Andersblooms93 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Truth be told, my goal is to attend a T3. To pre-empt the flurry of outrage that will likely ensue regarding my willingness to pay sticker price V. $$$ at lower T-14 - my objective is fixed on T3 because my father attended Stanford. Friendly competition going on...you know how it goes -- make your father proud and all.

That being said, clerkship and legislative staffer are my career goals - though I am under no illusion that these are subject to change with the passage of time.
This is a very poor reason to take Stanford over big money at a T14.

Andersblooms93

New

Post by Andersblooms93 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Poor reason for whom I ask?
Lets forgo the notion that there is an objective standard here.
In so far as I have a narrowly defined objective (T3) have numbers that can secure me a position there and given that I can afford it, why not?
The opportunity cost for me is not what you pertain it to be.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:38 pm

Why do you need a JD to be a legislative staffer?

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Thu May 25, 2017 7:48 pm

This thread is a pretty hilarious example of the TLS company line being parroted without even a little thought. I mean, if OP's dad wants to pay for him to go to Stanford, why wouldn't he go to Stanford? I would like to go on record as saying that anyone with rich legacy parents covering the bill should go to a T3 school. Why not? Even if their career goals make no sense. Why not?

P.S. OP, your chances aren't bad, but just to save you some embarrassment down the line when you're trying to impress people at a T3 law school, that's not what "pertain" means.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Andersblooms93

New

Post by Andersblooms93 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:51 pm

WinterComing wrote:This thread is a pretty hilarious example of the TLS company line being parroted without even a little thought. I mean, if OP's dad wants to pay for him to go to Stanford, why wouldn't he go to Stanford? I would like to go on record as saying that anyone with rich legacy parents covering the bill should go to a T3 school. Why not? Even if their career goals make no sense. Why not?

P.S. OP, your chances aren't bad, but just to save you some embarrassment down the line when you're trying to impress people at a T3 law school, that's not what "pertain" means.
hahaha - duly noted.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:06 pm

WinterComing wrote:Even if their career goals make no sense. Why not?
I mean, if their career goals make no sense, then it's a waste of three years. I'd rather spend dad's money on a yacht.

Andersblooms93

New

Post by Andersblooms93 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:12 pm

legislative staffers often times have a JD...considering they draft legal memoranda, work on the fine print of legislation etc.
Take a quick look at the State Department legislative team (even the policy planning staff) or DOJ...their legislative staffers all have JD''s. In short, career plan makes sense.

WinterComing

Silver

Post by WinterComing » Thu May 25, 2017 8:14 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
WinterComing wrote:Even if their career goals make no sense. Why not?
I mean, if their career goals make no sense, then it's a waste of three years. I'd rather spend dad's money on a yacht.
You're thinking too small. If you go to Stanford, you can cruise the bay in your yacht between classes. Don't think either/or. Think both/and.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Impressionist

Bronze

Post by Impressionist » Thu May 25, 2017 8:41 pm

I really don't get this thread. No matter what is said in this thread you're going to be applying to HYS (what is this T3 nonsense?). The only question you should be asking is whether or not you should be retaking the LSAT, which you mention as a possibility. And the answer to that should be self evident: yes if you want to maximize your chances of getting into HYS. Since you aren't above either 75th, money isn't an issue for you, and there is no longer a cap on how many times you can take the test, there is no excuse.

Basically the answer to your question is: decent, but could be a lot better.

Unless ofc this is all just a humblebrag. In that case, carry on.

ParisHilton

New

Post by ParisHilton » Thu May 25, 2017 8:50 pm

I'd say you have a good shot at H, unlikely at Y and S because of GPA, so I would DEFINITELY try to at least hit Stanford's 50th with a 171.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”