NYU Chances (please help) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rachmaninov

New

NYU Chances (please help)

Post by rachmaninov » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 pm

Hello TLS,

I've done a large amount of research but because of my diverse background, its incredibly difficult to decide whether it's even worth it to apply to one of my goal schools: NYU. If anyone with a similar background or who knows someone similar could weigh in, it would be very helpful.

My background:
-174 LSAT
-2.98 LSAC GPA (I transferred from a community college after a year of no motivation and multiple F's. Since then, my GPA has seen considerable increases at my university and I have made the Dean's list a few times)
-URM (biracial, black and russian)
-STEM Major (Computer Science w/ concentration in cybersecurity, 3.75 major GPA)
-Air Force Reserves Intel Operator (2nd Lt.)
-4 Years of work experience (60-70 hours a week, 2-3 jobs at a time to cover college myself)
-2 Years work experience on the IT side of the nuclear industry
-Trilingual (English, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese)

I wouldn't be applying until the fall of this year but I like to plan ahead. I've read that NYU has a GPA cut-off of 3.1, even for minorities. If not NYU, where else in the T14 could I apply? Thank you in advance for your help!

chargers21

Gold

Re: NYU Chances (please help)

Post by chargers21 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:06 pm

Apply across the board in the t13 and at least WUSTL outside

VeiledProtectorate

New

Post by VeiledProtectorate » Wed May 24, 2017 10:09 pm

chargers21 wrote:Apply across the board in the t13 and at least WUSTL outside
Agreed. If there is a particular region where you'd like to practice, I'd apply to their regional flagship as well.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Thu May 25, 2017 8:50 am

rachmaninov wrote:Hello TLS,

I've done a large amount of research but because of my diverse background, its incredibly difficult to decide whether it's even worth it to apply to one of my goal schools: NYU. If anyone with a similar background or who knows someone similar could weigh in, it would be very helpful.
Not impossible, http://lawschoolnumbers.com/PinkMachette
NYU favors splitters. With your background, I'd put your odds greater than 50%

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:20 am

saf18hornet wrote:
rachmaninov wrote:Hello TLS,

Not impossible, http://lawschoolnumbers.com/PinkMachette
NYU favors splitters. With your background, I'd put your odds greater than 50%
I wouldn't be that optimistic, especially not based on a single student from four years ago who got waitlisted. NYU might not be out of the question, but it's definitely not likely.

OP: You're a super-splitter, and you need apply broadly across the T20. There's no way to predict what you'll get, but the more schools you apply to, the more likely you are to get something decent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

34iplaw

Gold

Post by 34iplaw » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:56 am

I'd think you will outperform your numbers a great deal due to URM and veteran status. I know most MBAs and MDs look extremely favorably on vets and, while I haven't heard it explicitly for JDs, my anecdata from looking on LSN shows many 'marginal' admits (i.e. those whose numbers wouldn't get them in) are vets.

Either way, you should apply broadly to the T20 as others have said. Your LSAT will probably get you fee waivers to most of them. TBH, I think you'll get a top 10, but it can't be guaranteed by any means.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:59 am

OP, you are a perfect case of someone who might get all three of Chicago, Columbia, and NYU, or get shut out of the t10 all together. The sample size is too small. Just make sure you have great recommendations, a compelling PS, everything is well written, etc and you have a good chance. But its too speculative at this point to give an accurate prediction. Apply to the t13, WUSTL, and the regional flagships in the market you want to be in.

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:58 am

grades?? wrote:OP, you are a perfect case of someone who might get all three of Chicago, Columbia, and NYU, or get shut out of the t10 all together. The sample size is too small. Just make sure you have great recommendations, a compelling PS, everything is well written, etc and you have a good chance. But its too speculative at this point to give an accurate prediction. Apply to the t13, WUSTL, and the regional flagships in the market you want to be in.
This is probably true. NYU is a long shot, but worth the application fee...

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:17 am

I don't know how admissions would handle the gpa but sounds like we'd be lucky to have you at Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”