Where Should I Aim? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Fauken

New

Where Should I Aim?

Post by Fauken » Mon May 22, 2017 11:08 pm

Thank you all for your time in reading this and giving me advice!

I'm a female electrical engineering student at Texas A&M University and will be graduating this December. My GPA will likely be a 3.0, and I'll be taking the June and September LSATs. I'm aiming for a 165+. I think I have some decent extracurriculars with my church, no work experience, two good letters, and I'm trying to find a third. UT is my top choice, though I'm not sure of my chances, so I'm looking for other schools that have IP programs (BU, among others). So my questions are:
1. Where else should I be applying?
2. I'm on the fence for going ED with UT, should I bother?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Where Should I Aim?

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 22, 2017 11:19 pm

Don't waste your time worrying about how high you should aim in terms of schools. Aim as high as you can on the LSAT first, figure things out from there.

Assuming you dedicate yourself to studying for and maxing the LSAT (ideally getting a 170+ to help counter your low GPA), you should aim for schools like the lower T14 (to include UT not on an ED), along with a few others that are friendly to splitter applicants like WUSTL and BU.

Don't worry about finding schools with IP programs. The IP program isn't going to get you a job as a patent attorney, your EE degree will. So try to minimize cost while maximizing opportunities within ~T20, and use your desirable EE degree to get a job as a patent attorney. This is all very overly simplistic, but since you haven't even taken the LSAT yet, it's good starter advice. You need a 170+ LSAT for good options. Start there and then start worrying about where to apply.

KMart

Gold

Re: Where Should I Aim?

Post by KMart » Tue May 23, 2017 2:01 am

Fauken wrote:Thank you all for your time in reading this and giving me advice!

I'm a female electrical engineering student at Texas A&M University and will be graduating this December. My GPA will likely be a 3.0, and I'll be taking the June and September LSATs. I'm aiming for a 165+. I think I have some decent extracurriculars with my church, no work experience, two good letters, and I'm trying to find a third. UT is my top choice, though I'm not sure of my chances, so I'm looking for other schools that have IP programs (BU, among others). So my questions are:
1. Where else should I be applying?
2. I'm on the fence for going ED with UT, should I bother?
you're too early. focus on crushing the LSAT and then we can discuss things like where you should apply and if you should ED. too much hinges on that score for anyone to give an answer to you now.

Return to “What are my chances?”