Will Sept. v. Dec. LSAT Affect My Chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
svanderwoodsen

New

Will Sept. v. Dec. LSAT Affect My Chances?

Post by svanderwoodsen » Thu May 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Up until now, I was all set to take the LSAT exam this December. I had already used be three LSAT takes, and wouldn't be eligible to take again. But now I'm hearing that LSAC is getting rid of this rule starting with the Sept. 2017 exam, and that this would make me eligible to take the Sept. exam.

My highest LSAT score thus far is a 162, and my goal is to hit the high 160's. My plan was to starting studying in June, giving me about six months to study until December. For the Sept. LSAT, I'd only have about three months - not even sure if that's enough. Any advice on what I should do here to maximize my chances? I have a low GPA (3.1) and my goal is to get into T-20 school. I have a bunch of strong regional schools on my application list that I'm going to apply to early, so I'm just retaking this exam to get into a couple of my dream schools. Would waiting until December kill my chances at getting in? I'm just a bit confused on what to do here.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Will Sept. v. Dec. LSAT Affect My Chances?

Post by Rigo » Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 pm

I don't see a reason not to shoot for September. Full speed ahead!

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Thu May 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Depending on what your dream schools are it won't necessarily kill your chances completely, but your app will be a little on the late side if you're relying on a December score. If they are T13 schools waiting until January to apply could mean getting waitlisted instead of getting in.

svanderwoodsen

New

Post by svanderwoodsen » Thu May 18, 2017 9:27 pm

stego wrote:Depending on what your dream schools are it won't necessarily kill your chances completely, but your app will be a little on the late side if you're relying on a December score. If they are T13 schools waiting until January to apply could mean getting waitlisted instead of getting in.
That's very true, which is why I'm thinking about taking it in Sep. At the same time, I haven't studied for this exam in a while - will three months be enough for someone to jump from a 162 to mid-high 160's? With my GPA, a low LSAT will result in an auto-reject at the T-20.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu May 18, 2017 10:12 pm

svanderwoodsen wrote:
stego wrote:Depending on what your dream schools are it won't necessarily kill your chances completely, but your app will be a little on the late side if you're relying on a December score. If they are T13 schools waiting until January to apply could mean getting waitlisted instead of getting in.
That's very true, which is why I'm thinking about taking it in Sep. At the same time, I haven't studied for this exam in a while - will three months be enough for someone to jump from a 162 to mid-high 160's? With my GPA, a low LSAT will result in an auto-reject at the T-20.
Start studying now and you'll have almost four months. If you're really not where you'd like by September, cancel and switch to December.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”