Former Law Student, Great Softs, Great GPA, Low LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
EricaH

New

Former Law Student, Great Softs, Great GPA, Low LSAT

Post by EricaH » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Hello! I was accepted and began my full-time 1L year in 2012 at St. Louis University. At that time, I had a very difficult family emergency that required me to leave unexpectantly before finals. I left on good terms. Since leaving law school, I have obtained a Masters and am teaching law classes at the high school level. I worked as a paralegal before going to law school. I am 35 so likely a non-traditional student and am really only interested in restarting my first year as a part-time student at SLU due to teaching contract and location(unable to relocate.) I would like to take full-time classes during the summer if that's a possibility. During 2011 cycle, I claimed both Caucasian and American Indian, which I will claim again.

What are your thoughts on admission to the part-time program? I believe that part-time candidates have lower LSAT scores but SOFTS are looked at more closely. I have a 3.4 GPA for undergrad, 4.0 GPA for Masters and a 148 LSAT score (sucks, I know.) I am retaking the LSAT in June but would still like to be considered for this cycle. I appreciate your responses!

cavalier1138

Re: Former Law Student, Great Softs, Great GPA, Low LSAT

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:28 pm

What are your career goals?

EricaH

New

Post by EricaH » Mon May 01, 2017 1:27 am

cavalier1138 wrote:What are your career goals?
Thank you for responding. My goal would be to practice in the area of personal injury or contract law. I'm not looking at BigLaw. And would be perfectly happy practicing in my hometown at a local law firm.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Mon May 01, 2017 3:21 am

EricaH wrote:Hello! I was accepted and began my full-time 1L year in 2012 at St. Louis University. At that time, I had a very difficult family emergency that required me to leave unexpectantly before finals. I left on good terms. Since leaving law school, I have obtained a Masters and am teaching law classes at the high school level. I worked as a paralegal before going to law school. I am 35 so likely a non-traditional student and am really only interested in restarting my first year as a part-time student at SLU due to teaching contract and location(unable to relocate.) I would like to take full-time classes during the summer if that's a possibility. During 2011 cycle, I claimed both Caucasian and American Indian, which I will claim again.

What are your thoughts on admission to the part-time program? I believe that part-time candidates have lower LSAT scores but SOFTS are looked at more closely. I have a 3.4 GPA for undergrad, 4.0 GPA for Masters and a 148 LSAT score (sucks, I know.) I am retaking the LSAT in June but would still like to be considered for this cycle. I appreciate your responses!
Forget this cycle, it's too late in the game to receive scholarship awards. Re-take the LSAT, try to score at least 5-10 points higher, and re-apply next year. I don't know much about part-time programs, but if you can keep costs low and are fine with a non-Big law job, then it could be a solid option for you.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:54 am

EricaH wrote:
Thank you for responding. My goal would be to practice in the area of personal injury or contract law. I'm not looking at BigLaw. And would be perfectly happy practicing in my hometown at a local law firm.
All due respect... why?

That kind of small practice isn't likely to pay more than your current salary, and you're currently not swimming in debt, which you will be if you go to any school that would accept you this late in the cycle (especially with a sub-150 LSAT). If you were working some dead-end retail job, this would make more sense to me, but you're already in a field that lets you engage with the subject in a way you seem to enjoy (unless you really hate teaching and just got a masters for the hell of it).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EricaH

New

Post by EricaH » Mon May 01, 2017 10:55 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
EricaH wrote:
All due respect... why?

That kind of small practice isn't likely to pay more than your current salary, and you're currently not swimming in debt, which you will be if you go to any school that would accept you this late in the cycle (especially with a sub-150 LSAT). If you were working some dead-end retail job, this would make more sense to me, but you're already in a field that lets you engage with the subject in a way you seem to enjoy (unless you really hate teaching and just got a masters for the hell of it).
I've only been teaching 3 years and I couldn't be more unhappy with the job. I hate teaching and being a teacher. I should've mentioned that I live in the suburbs of St. Louis in an affluent area where it is likely that I'll make considerable more than my $38,000 salary . I have a guaranteed position after law school with a friends firm. And I did get a masters in an effort to increase my salary but for no other reason. I already have a considerable amount of student loan debt so it really doesn't matter. I'll be on income based repayment until forgiven at 25 yrs.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon May 01, 2017 6:10 pm

EricaH wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
EricaH wrote:
All due respect... why?

I've only been teaching 3 years and I couldn't be more unhappy with the job. I hate teaching and being a teacher. I should've mentioned that I live in the suburbs of St. Louis in an affluent area where it is likely that I'll make considerable more than my $38,000 salary . I have a guaranteed position after law school with a friends firm. And I did get a masters in an effort to increase my salary but for no other reason. I already have a considerable amount of student loan debt so it really doesn't matter. I'll be on income based repayment until forgiven at 25 yrs.
I think you would be crazy to try and go this cycle because even if you got into SLU you'd be paying sticker. I guess if you're committed to IBR whatever, but that will still be a helluva tax bomb. Retake in June, study your ass off and at least go on a good scholarship to reduce debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”