Cuban, Female, 170 LSAT, 3.7 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
oneofthecrits

New

Cuban, Female, 170 LSAT, 3.7 GPA

Post by oneofthecrits » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:05 pm

Softs= Worked as a paralegal for the DA in the Special Victims Unit, worked for the ACLU, won two minor fellowships, i have a rec from a professor who is close to law professors at Harvard.

Harvard is my top, what do you think my chance is? Should I retake the LSAT?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Cuban, Female, 170 LSAT, 3.7 GPA

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:07 pm

What do you want to do with a JD?

oneofthecrits

New

Post by oneofthecrits » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:09 pm

UVA2B wrote:What do you want to do with a JD?
Public interest/ academia. they have fantastic critical legal scholars and am interested in interdisciplinary legal scholarship.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:14 pm

oneofthecrits wrote:
Public interest/ academia
Ok, that's incredibly generic. What does that mean? Are you hoping to parlay your pre-law experience into JD employment?

You're perfectly well-suited to have good options, and Harvard is certainly possible. But my one suggestion is to define your goals for the degree first, and then figure out what school/debt load makes the most sense. If you want to do ACLU impact lit, that's one thing. If you want to do child advocacy, that's quite another.

If you're pursuing academia, no path is a guarantee at all. If you want PI related to your experience, you should be focused on limiting debt.

oneofthecrits

New

Post by oneofthecrits » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 am

UVA2B wrote:
oneofthecrits wrote:
Public interest/ academia
Ok, that's incredibly generic. What does that mean? Are you hoping to parlay your pre-law experience into JD employment?

You're perfectly well-suited to have good options, and Harvard is certainly possible. But my one suggestion is to define your goals for the degree first, and then figure out what school/debt load makes the most sense. If you want to do ACLU impact lit, that's one thing. If you want to do child advocacy, that's quite another.

If you're pursuing academia, no path is a guarantee at all. If you want PI related to your experience, you should be focused on limiting debt.
Great, this is super helpful. I'm applying next application season so I have a minute to think about it. Thank you!

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:12 am

Im also Cuban, with almost indentical stats (170/3.6) and I don't believe being Cuban gave me a boost whatsoever, so I don't think you have much of a shot at Harvard. You'll likely get into several T13s with some $

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”