2.79 GPA/178 LSAT any hope for T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
twiix

Silver

Re: 2.79 GPA/178 LSAT any hope for T14?

Post by twiix » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 am

theventriloquist wrote:was if the OP was a black or hispanic? then what are his chances?
Kind of a crapshoot.. but realistically I would say that anything besides HYS is realistic. All depends on date of application and total application package. If you write letters and have decent softs w/ WE I would say that the rest are pretty good chances.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:36 am

TWiiX wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:was if the OP was a black or hispanic? then what are his chances?
Kind of a crapshoot.. but realistically I would say that anything besides HYS is realistic. All depends on date of application and total application package. If you write letters and have decent softs w/ WE I would say that the rest are pretty good chances.
If the OP was black/hispanic, would he be a good candidate for northwestern ED?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:04 am

theventriloquist wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Being any URM does not change likelihood of getting the ED scholarship with these numbers. It's not literally impossible, but statistically very unlikely for all of the previous mentioned reasons.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 am

Apply broadly but your stats scream T20 regional and especially Wash U. You might want to consider a consultant

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:38 am

UVA2B wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Being any URM does not change likelihood of getting the ED scholarship with these numbers. It's not literally impossible, but statistically very unlikely for all of the previous mentioned reasons.
Thanks a lot for this advice. what about a black/hispanic with 3.1, and a biology master's degree (3.4). would that mean ED at northwestern? Thanks again

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:43 am

theventriloquist wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Thanks a lot for this advice. what about a black/hispanic with 3.1, and a biology master's degree (3.4). would that mean ED at northwestern? Thanks again
Northwestern generally targets their ED at students who are above both 75ths, not splitters. If you have a high LSAT and a 3.1, you still have a good shot at a number of T14 schools, especially with a URM boost.

Also, no need to include your major GPA. It has no effect on your application. Your GPA is a 3.1, full stop.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:38 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
TWiiX wrote:
Northwestern generally targets their ED at students who are above both 75ths, not splitters. If you have a high LSAT and a 3.1, you still have a good shot at a number of T14 schools, especially with a URM boost.

Also, no need to include your major GPA. It has no effect on your application. Your GPA is a 3.1, full stop.
Oh ok. But the only way I will be able to go to law school is Northwestern ED. So I guess that mean no law school for me, oh well.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:52 pm

theventriloquist wrote: Oh ok. But the only way I will be able to go to law school is Northwestern ED. So I guess that mean no law school for me, oh well.
That is factually untrue. I have no idea what your life circumstances are, but there is literally no way that Northwestern ED is the only way you can go to law school.

What are your career goals, and where do you want to work?

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:00 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote: Oh ok. But the only way I will be able to go to law school is Northwestern ED. So I guess that mean no law school for me, oh well.
That is factually untrue. I have no idea what your life circumstances are, but there is literally no way that Northwestern ED is the only way you can go to law school.

well I don't want to take out loans. No sir! I don't have any dept. Problem is, now I have no job. I just drive for uber, do borderline illegal work helping people get disability accommodation (extra time) for LSAT, GMAT, etc. Am looking for job. I just can't take on 150K in dept.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:09 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

well I don't want to take out loans. No sir! I don't have any dept. Problem is, now I have no job. I just drive for uber, do borderline illegal work helping people get disability accommodation (extra time) for LSAT, GMAT, etc. Am looking for job. I just can't take on 150K in dept.
If you're doing illegal work to help people con LSAC, I wouldn't post it on these forums lol.

If you can get admission into NU, you can typically muster a full ride (or majority ride) to WUSTL or another strong T20 school.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:37 pm

TWiiX wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

If you're doing illegal work to help people con LSAC, I wouldn't post it on these forums lol.

If you can get admission into NU, you can typically muster a full ride (or majority ride) to WUSTL or another strong T20 school.
Thank you; not illegal really. I was thinking about Boston U early decision. I wonder why these early decision programs get so little attention overall?

twiix

Silver

Post by twiix » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Likely because of two things;
1. They are super competitive. If you are committing to ED BU, your credentials could get you into a school marginally better and likely end up with similar scholarships through negotiation alone.
and
2. Committing ED severely limits your application process. You have to be 100% certain that going to BU (or any school) is your end goal, and a lot of people aren't that tied down to law school. They'd prefer to play the field and get the best offer possible.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:06 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Ok, but what job do you want to get?

Also, no matter how much scholarship you get, you'll have to take out loans (or use savings, or something) to cover some expenses during school.

I agree that if you're doing "borderline illegal" work, you probably shouldn't publicize it, or you should just stop doing it altogether. But literally nothing you've said means that ED anywhere is mandatory.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:12 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Also, no matter how much scholarship you get, you'll have to take out loans (or use savings, or something) to cover some expenses during school.

I agree that if you're doing "borderline illegal" work, you probably shouldn't publicize it, or you should just stop doing it altogether. But literally nothing you've said means that ED anywhere is mandatory.
I mean, I don't mind like small loans.

Only ED, b/c NU offers 150K scholarship. Other programs offer scholarship as well, but NU is the best and most prestegous.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:16 pm

theventriloquist wrote: I mean, I don't mind like small loans.

Only ED, b/c NU offers 150K scholarship. Other programs offer scholarship as well, but NU is the best and most prestegous.
*sigh*

What are your career goals? What are your career goals? What are your career goals?

glockov

New

Post by glockov » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Be better guys

NorCalOldGuy

New

Post by NorCalOldGuy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:59 pm

its all about minimizing the dept.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:15 pm

theventriloquist wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I mean, I don't mind like small loans.

ED is not the only way to get scholarships. I got a full ride offer this year that was not through ED.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:29 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote: I mean, I don't mind like small loans.

*sigh*

What are your career goals? What are your career goals? What are your career goals?
I want to get t JD/MBA. And move into Investment Banking. I can't get a MBA into a prestegous school cause I don't have enough work experiecnce.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:37 pm

theventriloquist wrote:I want to get t JD/MBA. And move into Investment Banking. I can't get a MBA into a prestegous school cause I don't have enough work experiecnce.
And how is the JD going to help you with investment banking? Just get some more work experience, save the money, and get your MBA.

A JD is for being a lawyer. That's it.

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:I want to get t JD/MBA. And move into Investment Banking. I can't get a MBA into a prestegous school cause I don't have enough work experiecnce.
And how is the JD going to help you with investment banking? Just get some more work experience, save the money, and get your MBA.

I can only get a lab tech job. I can't get any other job really. How do I get a prestegous job? MBA requires prestegous jobs! You can get into IB w/ a top Jd.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawlzzz

New

Post by lawlzzz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:02 pm

bananasplit17 wrote:To summarize my situation into a series of steps:

1). Have taken the LSAT once. Scored 178. Have heard of others retesting when scoring that high but I don't believe a point or two higher would yield much of a difference. Besides, the retest could always be lower.
2). Have been a non-traditional student. Have had a series of health-problems. All my work experience has been before and within undergrad. I will graduate this December.
3). When figuring my absolute gpa with every transcript grade it comes to 2.79 because of a semester of all F's earlier on when I was ill. Applied for retroactive withdrawal at my university and was denied. Have a seven term trend of all A's toward the end.
4). Have seen individuals with a 3.0/178 receive acceptances at Georgetown, Cornell, and UVA, but cant find any statistics on LSN for anyone with near a 2.8. There isn't much difference in my mind between a 2.79 and a 3.0
5). I don't want to put law school off for a year or two longer since I am already in my late 20s.

So with a 2.79/178 and a rock hard addendum and upward trend towards the end. Do I have any hope for Georgetown, Cornell, UVA, Michigan?

If I blanket all of the T14, what would you guess the chances are of snagging just one?
That's strange that your university would deny you the retroactive withdrawal if you had legitimate extenuating circumstances. What was their reason? Is there a way you could appeal their decision?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:21 am

theventriloquist wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

I can only get a lab tech job. I can't get any other job really. How do I get a prestegous job? MBA requires prestegous jobs! You can get into IB w/ a top Jd.
Look, your obsession with "prestege" is something you share in common with a lot of prospective law students. But you're really misconstruing how a JD works.

A JD is a professional degree. It is only useful if you want to be a lawyer. Think of it like medical school. An MD from JH is really prestigious. Would you get an MD to go into investment banking?

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:17 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
theventriloquist wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Look, your obsession with "prestege" is something you share in common with a lot of prospective law students. But you're really misconstruing how a JD works.

A JD is a professional degree. It is only useful if you want to be a lawyer. Think of it like medical school. An MD from JH is really prestigious. Would you get an MD to go into investment banking?
Thank you for your advice. I really like all the help and am really considering things at this point. Have not made up mind on anything, thank you!
Here is what I was thinking:
Well the difference is that, a lot of consultancies and IB will hire u if you have a JD. an MD is useless for that.

Here is the thing: I can get into a top law school, but not a top business school. Also, I cna probably get a scholarship from a top law school. So in fact, it will be cheaper than business school since business schools don't give out too many scholarships. Business schools look a lot for business experience, which I don't really have.

As for law: I would not mind practicing law. I want prestegous b.c that is what employers want. So I think also that a JD/MBA program from a top school would also be good for me.

Now I was looking at JD/MBA graduates from top programs, and they are all doing well. Big law or Investment banking (IB) or hedge funds. Like, 100%. By contrast, I looked at MBA and JD alone grads from top programs, and alot of them are not doing so well. Like, a sizable number are lawyers at small firms, or in lower positions at companies, etc. I did not find a single JD/MBA who is not in a good position.

I looked on Linkin. So overall, it seems like JD/MBA from a top school (NOT a bottom school) would be a really good choice.

I mean I think this makes sense, right?

Thank you again for everything!

theventriloquist

Bronze

Post by theventriloquist » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:25 am

bananasplit17 wrote:To summarize my situation into a series of steps:

1). Have taken the LSAT once. Scored 178. Have heard of others retesting when scoring that high but I don't believe a point or two higher would yield much of a difference. Besides, the retest could always be lower.
2). Have been a non-traditional student. Have had a series of health-problems. All my work experience has been before and within undergrad. I will graduate this December.
3). When figuring my absolute gpa with every transcript grade it comes to 2.79 because of a semester of all F's earlier on when I was ill. Applied for retroactive withdrawal at my university and was denied. Have a seven term trend of all A's toward the end.
4). Have seen individuals with a 3.0/178 receive acceptances at Georgetown, Cornell, and UVA, but cant find any statistics on LSN for anyone with near a 2.8. There isn't much difference in my mind between a 2.79 and a 3.0
5). I don't want to put law school off for a year or two longer since I am already in my late 20s.

So with a 2.79/178 and a rock hard addendum and upward trend towards the end. Do I have any hope for Georgetown, Cornell, UVA, Michigan?

If I blanket all of the T14, what would you guess the chances are of snagging just one?
Wow you sound a lot me me! Try Northwestern Early decision, or washington university st leuis, as both of these like high LSAT. Also try to appeal that decision about withdrawls, good luck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”