Low LSAT - University of Florida dreams Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
FutureLawyer13

New

Low LSAT - University of Florida dreams

Post by FutureLawyer13 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi everyone!

Im getting stressed about a few applications and I'm trying to decide what options I have. I took the LSAT 3times and was disappointed that I scored in the upper 140's each time. I have a 3.30 GPA and a very strong resume. I worked two jobs while attending school, and was also the Vice President of an organization. My dream law school is the University of Florida which is an extreme reach school this cycle. However, I believe I have a strong addendum because I was taking the LSAT each time under extreme life circumstances. I also received a merit fee waiver to UF. I'm currently on hold with UF, and hoping for a miracle. I don't think I will be happy with myself if I attend another law school. I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions for me.

Do you think it would be worth it to take a year off and take the LSAT in June 2018? (This is the earliest I could take it since I took it in June 2016) I am a bit worried that schools wouldn't be receiving my LSAT until June though, and I would only want to take one year off. Or should I attend a smaller school in Florida and try to be at the top of my class and attempt to transfer into UF?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Re: Low LSAT - University of Florida dreams

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:45 pm

FutureLawyer13 wrote:Hi everyone!

Im getting stressed about a few applications and I'm trying to decide what options I have. I took the LSAT 3times and was disappointed that I scored in the upper 140's each time. I have a 3.30 GPA and a very strong resume. I worked two jobs while attending school, and was also the Vice President of an organization. My dream law school is the University of Florida which is an extreme reach school this cycle. However, I believe I have a strong addendum because I was taking the LSAT each time under extreme life circumstances. I'm currently on hold with UF, and hoping for a miracle. I don't think I will be happy with myself if I attend another law school. I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions for me.

Do you think it would be worth it to take a year off and take the LSAT in June 2018? (This is the earliest I could take it since I took it in June 2016) I am a bit worried that schools wouldn't be receiving my LSAT until June though, and I would only want to take one year off. Or should I attend a smaller school in Florida and try to be at the top of my class and attempt to transfer into UF?
Definitely retake. You can definitely improve.

I don't think this is as good of an addendum as you believe, because schools might question your judgement "why did this person decide to take the LSAT during such extreme circumstances, when the applicant could've scored closer to his/her potential by waiting...?"

FutureLawyer13

New

Post by FutureLawyer13 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:00 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:

Im getting stressed about a few applications and I'm trying to decide what options I have. I took the LSAT 3times and was disappointed that I scored in the upper 140's each time. I have a 3.30 GPA and a very strong resume. I worked two jobs while attending school, and was also the Vice President of an organization. My dream law school is the University of Florida which is an extreme reach school this cycle. However, I believe I have a strong addendum because I was taking the LSAT each time under extreme life circumstances. I'm currently on hold with UF, and hoping for a miracle. I don't think I will be happy with myself if I attend another law school. I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions for me.

I don't think this is as good of an addendum as you believe, because schools might question your judgement "why did this person decide to take the LSAT during such extreme circumstances, when the applicant could've scored closer to his/her potential by waiting...?"
Do you think I should be worried about taking the LSAT in June 2018? I can at least submit my application early and tell them I am taking the June 2018 LSAT. It makes me a little nervous to be taking the LSAT so late. What do you think about sending in a request to LSAC to take the LSAT again at an earlier date?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:03 pm

FutureLawyer13 wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:

Do you think I should be worried about taking the LSAT in June 2018? I can at least submit my application early and tell them I am taking the June 2018 LSAT. It makes me a little nervous to be taking the LSAT so late. What do you think about sending in a request to LSAC to take the LSAT again at an earlier date?
Wait, no you would have to apply in the 2018-2019 cycle...you don't want to apply in the 2017-2018 cycle and get rejected/waitlisted before you even get the chance to register for the June 2018 Lsat. That would be game over.

Applying early also gives you a huge boost in your acceptance chances.

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:55 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote: I don't think this is as good of an addendum as you believe, because schools might question your judgement "why did this person decide to take the LSAT during such extreme circumstances, when the applicant could've scored closer to his/her potential by waiting...?"
OP, I commented on your other thread, but I want to echo the above. Having read both of your posts, you're probably better off biting the bullet and retaking in June '18, applying Fall '18. Even if you do succeed in convincing LSAC to grant you a 4th test, that is likely to raise some eyebrows regarding your judgment. Most schools will overlook a low score if there are circumstances to indicate that on/near that test date there were extenuating circumstances that help to justify a single poor performance. It's going to be much, much harder to convince them to ignore 3 scores in the same score band. As a neutral 3rd party, there are very, very few mitigating circumstances that justify 3 low scores over the course of a year. Not to say you wouldn't fall into one of those categories, but still expect ardent skepticism.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:54 pm

FutureLawyer13 wrote:Or should I attend a smaller school in Florida and try to be at the top of my class and attempt to transfer into UF?
No.

Honestly you're not going to get into UF unless you really improve. And if you don't improve, you shouldn't go to law school. Sorry, but a 14x/low 150x LSAT and a 3.0 would be doing themselves a disservice going to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”