3.25 GPA + 172 LSAT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
2018Hoping

New

3.25 GPA + 172 LSAT

Post by 2018Hoping » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 am

Hello Everyone,

I graduated in 2013 with a 3.25 GPA. I also earned a graduate degree (3.45 GPA). My LSAT score in 2016 was a 172. By the time I apply this fall, I will also have around two years of post-grad public service experience. I have two main questions:

1. What are my chances with bottom half t-14 schools (Georgetown, Cornell, NW)? I have reviewed my stats on LSN but was unsure how a graduate degree and work experience might sway some applications.

2. My LSAT score was accomplished with around a month of studying. I have been studying for the past one month or so in preparation for the June test. I plan to continue devoting a significant amount of time to studying until June. My practice scores have been hovering around 174. If I believe I could raise my score by 2-3 points on a retake, would this make a significant difference regarding admission or scholarship offers?

Thanks for the help.

half moon

New

Re: 3.25 GPA + 172 LSAT

Post by half moon » Wed May 17, 2017 3:31 pm

2018Hoping wrote:Hello Everyone,

I graduated in 2013 with a 3.25 GPA. I also earned a graduate degree (3.45 GPA). My LSAT score in 2016 was a 172. By the time I apply this fall, I will also have around two years of post-grad public service experience. I have two main questions:

1. What are my chances with bottom half t-14 schools (Georgetown, Cornell, NW)? I have reviewed my stats on LSN but was unsure how a graduate degree and work experience might sway some applications.

2. My LSAT score was accomplished with around a month of studying. I have been studying for the past one month or so in preparation for the June test. I plan to continue devoting a significant amount of time to studying until June. My practice scores have been hovering around 174. If I believe I could raise my score by 2-3 points on a retake, would this make a significant difference regarding admission or scholarship offers?

Thanks for the help.
1. I applied this cycle with very similar stats, work experience, and a masters degree. In at Michigan and Northwestern with small schollies, rejected at Cornell and Berkeley, and waitlisted at all other T13 from H on down. Your graduate degree and work experience will probably help on the margins, but they're unlikely to make a huge difference. Your best bet is probably Northwestern, which is both splitter friendly and explicitly looks for people with work experience.

2. If you think you can score higher on the LSAT, go for it! I'm guessing your GPA will keep you out of HYS, and probably Chicago and Berkeley regardless. A couple more points though could boost your chances of admission at Columbia and NYU, and help get you better scholarship offers at some of the lower T13.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu May 18, 2017 11:20 am

Same as half Moon - very similar stats (slightly higher in each) and 5 yrs work exp, in at both NU and Mich with some money, WLd at UVA, Columbia, NYU, Penn, Duke, and Vandy. I'm on lsn.

A retake could get you into Columbia/NYU, which could help with scholarship negotiations down the line. If you think you can improve, retaking is a good idea imo.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Thu May 18, 2017 5:59 pm

According to my calculations, you should probably ED NW, apply regular admission to UMich on down, and negotiate with those fat stacks at WUSTL.

If i was you, i'd try to go to Vandy or UCLA for cheap rather than sticker at lower-t14
[+] Spoiler

NotAGolfer

Silver

Post by NotAGolfer » Tue May 30, 2017 2:49 pm

I applied this cycle with a similar GPA and higher LSAT; in at CLS, Penn, Mich, Berk, Duke, Northwestern, GULC, Texas, UCLA, Vandy; WL at HLS, Chicago, NYU, and UVA; rejected at Yale, Stanford, and Cornell (lol).

Based on my experience I'd say it's definitely worth raising your LSAT if you can. I studied 3 months total (~20 hrs/wk) and was able to score significantly higher than what I was scoring one month into studying. Even if you don't score higher, you won't lose anything by retaking.

I'd also apply to a lot of schools because your splitter status will make your cycle unpredictable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”