What are my chances at NYU? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
corporatemandaorbust

New

Re: What are my chances at NYU?

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:29 pm

guybourdin wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote: But I always wanted to do a profession like law/medicine so yeah
What does that mean? You just don't feel like you're going to do as well on the MCAT?

You should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer, not because of a vague interest in a "profession".
I don't like blood. I'd rather be a lawyer than a doctor
That doesn't even even come close to answering the question. The question was why do you want to be a lawyer, not "why do you not want to be a doctor." There's a million other professions besides doctors and lawyers.

Also a stupid answer because not all doctors see blood.
What other professions with the same level of intellectual vigor, barriers to entry, upside, prestige, autonomy, etc. I can't think of any
a professor, imo, has a lot more more of all 5 of the things you listed than an attorney.
No - more on some, but less on others. Professors have an even worse job market and lower overall pay. Not to mention a less diverse skill-set that can be applied to other things/exitopps

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:44 pm

guybourdin wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
corporatemandaorbust wrote: But I always wanted to do a profession like law/medicine so yeah
What does that mean? You just don't feel like you're going to do as well on the MCAT?

You should go to law school if you want to be a lawyer, not because of a vague interest in a "profession".
That doesn't even even come close to answering the question. The question was why do you want to be a lawyer, not "why do you not want to be a doctor." There's a million other professions besides doctors and lawyers.

What other professions with the same level of intellectual vigor, barriers to entry, upside, prestige, autonomy, etc. I can't think of any
a professor, imo, has a lot more more of all 5 of the things you listed than an attorney.
No - more on some, but less on others. Professors have an even worse job market and lower overall pay. Not to mention a less diverse skill-set that can be applied to other things/exitopps
the five things you said were: intellectual vigor, barriers to entry, upside, prestige, autonomy. You didn't say anything about the job market, still set, exit options, or money (unless thats what you meant by "upside", but I took it to be broader than a paycheck, because you didn't say money, you said upside...). I'm not saying being a professor is better in every respect, but I am saying its probably better in all five of those five categories. Certainly more intellectually vigorous, more difficult to get into, and way more prestige.

anyway. good luck. or don't go to law school. or go http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:48 pm

I'm just going to wait for an actual biglaw attorney to come in and speak to how much "autonomy" they have in their job...

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:49 pm

guybourdin wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

the five things you said were: intellectual vigor, barriers to entry, upside, prestige, autonomy. You didn't say anything about the job market, still set, exit options, or money (unless thats what you meant by "upside", but I took it to be broader than a paycheck, because you didn't say money, you said upside...). I'm not saying being a professor is better in every respect, but I am saying its probably better in all five of those five categories. Certainly more intellectually vigorous, more difficult to get into, and way more prestige.

anyway. good luck. or don't go to law school. or go http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6
Agreed.

OP, you'll have none of what you listed if you continue to have the mentality of "I heard a 166 will do" and to pull the bare minimun. I highly encourage you to aim for much higher than a 166 to make NYU a realistic possibility. Best of luck!

corporatemandaorbust

New

Post by corporatemandaorbust » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Also, don't plan on applying ED. It doesn't increase your chances of admission, but it does increase your chances of paying sticker.
Does it actually not increase your chances? That is hard for me to believe

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:55 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Also, don't plan on applying ED. It doesn't increase your chances of admission, but it does increase your chances of paying sticker.
http://admissionsbythenumbers.com/

Looks like it's harder to get into NYU ED than it is NYU RD.

chrysippusofsoli

New

Post by chrysippusofsoli » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:46 am

http://admissionsbythenumbers.com/

Looks like it's harder to get into NYU ED than it is NYU RD.
Powerscore did an informative post on this last year:

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/applyin ... -not-to-ed

Apparently one's chances decreases (!) 52% by doing NYU ED instead of RD. While one's chances of getting into Chicago rises 767%. Made me seriously consider ED'ing Chicago for a bit (I eventually snapped out of it though).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”