LSAT 148/GPA 2.58 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lilgainzz

New

LSAT 148/GPA 2.58

Post by lilgainzz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:07 pm

I just applied to St. Thomas of law in Miami, do I have a shot this late in the admissions process? Good LOR and 3.5 gpa in my most recent major and significantly improved my GPA throughout the years. I'm so stressed lol

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Re: LSAT 148/GPA 2.58

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:33 pm

You'll probably get in, but I don't think you should go. Do not go unless you have a guaranteed job at graduation (i.e.; family firm) and you are independently wealthy. Even then, St. Thomas probably isn't a good choice.

EDIT: According to LST, St. Thomas only has a 38.8% full-time legal employment rate and a bar passage rate of 55.6%. I don't think you should go, even if you get into the school.
Last edited by WamBamThankYouMaam on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Do. Not. Do. This.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:38 pm

lilgainzz wrote: do I have a shot this late in the admissions process?
Yup. :shock:

Don't go.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:44 pm

I don't want to crush your dreams, I pride myself on being an optimist but your GPA alone without the bad LSAT score(same score as I got for my last take) disqualify's you from most ABA schools. The fact you did good in your major makes this more sad IMO(another example of how "well rounded education" at the UG level hurts and doesn't help students), because this means those core classes must have really done a number on you, what did you go to a LAC or something? Even if you retake, and improve by let's say 10 points and get some TTT's to bite, the problem here is you're not going to end up getting scholly money and will be going into debt that isn't worth it for those options.
Last edited by Ferrisjso on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:45 pm

lilgainzz wrote:I just applied to St. Thomas of law in Miami, do I have a shot this late in the admissions process? Good LOR and 3.5 gpa in my most recent major and significantly improved my GPA throughout the years. I'm so stressed lol
With these numbers, you should not go to law school.

You may or may not get into St Thomas. It's probably less than a 50/50 chance.

Here's what happens if you do get in with your current lsat/gpa: https://www.lstreports.com/schools/stu/
Look at the cost of attendance and job prospects. You would probably not get much if anything in scholarships. So you're looking at 250k in debt-- and only a 38% chance of actually becoming an employed lawyer. That should terrify you. And remember, that 250k is before interest! Read this for more on the cost of law school: https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmis ... worth_the/

Why do you want to be a lawyer?

If you have a very good reason why this is the career you MUST pursue and you're still in undergrad, do everything you can to get your gpa up near 3 (although my guess would be that if you're applying to law schools now, there's not enough time to do this).

Whether or not that's a possibility for you, you'd have to get your lsat score up a lot as well. If you got the 148 without studying, you have a good chance at getting over 165... if you can get to 170, you have a good chance at getting a scholarship to a school worth attending. Forget St Thomas entirely--even if you do end up getting a FULL scholarship there, you're going to take on debt to cover living expenses and miss out on 3 years of your life to probably not ever become a lawyer... or to become a lawyer with a not-very-nice job.

lilgainzz

New

Post by lilgainzz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:47 pm

Why not guys? The Bar passage rate is actually much higher and I've always dreamed of being a lawyer. I want to transfer to the University of Miami law after my 1l year if I do really well.

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 pm

lilgainzz wrote:Why not guys? The Bar passage rate is actually much higher and I've always dreamed of being a lawyer. I want to transfer to the University of Miami law after my 1l year if I do really well.
I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not... but in the event that it is, your odds of transferring are nil and your debt at Miami would also be soul-crushing. Please read the post I left above.

If you're trolling, honestly stop it.
Last edited by beforethelaw on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilgainzz

New

Post by lilgainzz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:51 pm

beforethelaw wrote:
lilgainzz wrote:Why not guys? The Bar passage rate is actually much higher and I've always dreamed of being a lawyer. I want to transfer to the University of Miami law after my 1l year if I do really well.
I'm not sure if this is a serious post or not... but in the event that it is, your odds of transferring are nil and your debt at Miami would also be soul-crushing. Please read the post I left above.

If you're trolling, honestly fuck off.
Im srs, Top 1% in my class there may be a shot if not then FIU law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Starting to smell like a troll.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:53 pm

lilgainzz wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:

If you're trolling, honestly fuck off.
Im srs, Top 1% in my class there may be a shot if not then FIU law.
You're even bad at trolling, like c'mon man at least make it believable.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 pm

If you get in to the school, you will almost certainly get no scholly money. Now I don't know if you plan to commute or dorm but if COA were to stay the same(and it won't tuition increases are almost a certainty) that would put you in 207,300 in debt(again it will be more). Next, transferring to Miami is far from a sure thing, you're going to need to be near the top of your class(so let's say you have a 10 to 20% of doing this) and even if you succeed(which is a long shot), you're still going to be over 200k in the red, for a degree from the third best school(distant third also) in the Florida market, which is not a good outcome. Most likely scenario is you end up staying at St Thomas(the median LSAT is a 147, about two thirds of test takers do better than that) end up about a quarter of a million dollars in debt and get a job where paying that back is almost impossible. I tend to be more positive than others on this forum and if there's room for you to chase your dreams, I say go for it, this is not one of those cases. If you're dead set on becoming a Cinderella story all that you can really do is A retake the LSAT and improve at least 10 points(which would require you to go from beating barely a third of test takers to beating over three quarters), B, if you're in college for your last semester, you better get a 4.0 or something close to that, to make that GPA just a little less atrocious. Also do you live in Florida because both of the schools you've mentioned are regional Florida schools?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:The fact you did good in your major makes this more sad IMO(another example of how "well rounded education" at the UG level hurts and doesn't help students), because this means those core classes must have really done a number on you
"most recent major". Implies OP switched majors, likely more than once.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:05 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:The fact you did good in your major makes this more sad IMO(another example of how "well rounded education" at the UG level hurts and doesn't help students), because this means those core classes must have really done a number on you
"most recent major". Implies OP switched majors, likely more than once.
Ouch.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Starting to smell like a troll.
So obviously this.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:10 pm

UVA2B wrote:
So obviously this.
I honestly don't think so. Hope it is a troll though, because I feel really bad for this OP if they are real! Seems like they didn't get the hang of college until it was to late to resuscitate the GPA.

lilgainzz

New

Post by lilgainzz » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:If you get in to the school, you will almost certainly get no scholly money. Now I don't know if you plan to commute or dorm but if COA were to stay the same(and it won't tuition increases are almost a certainty) that would put you in 207,300 in debt(again it will be more). Next, transferring to Miami is far from a sure thing, you're going to need to be near the top of your class(so let's say you have a 10 to 20% of doing this) and even if you succeed(which is a long shot), you're still going to be over 200k in the red, for a degree from the third best school(distant third also) in the Florida market, which is not a good outcome. Most likely scenario is you end up staying at St Thomas(the median LSAT is a 147, about two thirds of test takers do better than that) end up about a quarter of a million dollars in debt and get a job where paying that back is almost impossible. I tend to be more positive than others on this forum and if there's room for you to chase your dreams, I say go for it, this is not one of those cases. If you're dead set on becoming a Cinderella story all that you can really do is A retake the LSAT and improve at least 10 points(which would require you to go from beating barely a third of test takers to beating over three quarters), B, if you're in college for your last semester, you better get a 4.0 or something close to that, to make that GPA just a little less atrocious. Also do you live in Florida because both of the schools you've mentioned are regional Florida schools?
Yes I live in florida, I've had 4 majors in undergrad, just recently graduated.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
So obviously this.
I honestly don't think so. Hope it is a troll though, because I feel really bad for this OP if they are real! Seems like they didn't get the hang of college until it was to late to resuscitate the GPA.
Throws out horrible numbers, talks about shitty bar passage rates, then talks about transferring at the top of the class.

Come on dude, this is too easy. Troll.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:14 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
So obviously this.
Throws out horrible numbers, talks about shitty bar passage rates, then talks about transferring at the top of the class.

Come on dude, this is too easy. Troll.
Yeah, think you're right.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”