I am in the median stats of my dream school but applied late, what are my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
olikatz

Bronze

I am in the median stats of my dream school but applied late, what are my chances?

Post by olikatz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:02 pm

I live in Southern California and would really like to go to Loyola LA. I'm in the median for LSAT and GPA but sent my app on the very last possible day to send it. Will this adversely affect my admission chances? Also, if I am in the median and apply early on next cycle (assuming softs are good) am I a shoo-in?

guynourmin

Gold

Re: I am in the median stats of my dream school but applied late, what are my chances?

Post by guynourmin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:22 pm

over the last 2 years only 5 people 159+ got WL/rejected on lsn. So, probably a good chance at getting in this cycle too. applying late could hurt your scholarship offer, though.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: I am in the median stats of my dream school but applied late, what are my chances?

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Dream bigger.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:30 am

Rigo wrote:Dream bigger.

yoglol

New

Post by yoglol » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:33 am

Why would someone with 13k posts on a law school forum tell someone to dream bigger?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:42 am

yoglol wrote:
Why would someone with 13k posts on a law school forum tell someone to dream bigger?
Because Loyola is not a dream school. Maybe a realistic option given stats and an okay fit for someone who wants practice in Southern California, but a dream? Nah.

Thanks for honoring me with your third post though! You're catching up!

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:45 am

Rigo wrote:
yoglol wrote:
Because Loyola is not a dream school. Maybe a realistic option given stats and an okay fit for someone who wants practice in Southern California, but a dream? Nah.

I read this quote in the persona of your profile pic and lol'ed

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:58 am

yoglol wrote:
hahaha damn, zing. i love it.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:25 am

Rigo wrote:
yoglol wrote:

It's a plenty fine dream. Everyone is looking to get something different out of life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AnMzungu

Bronze

Post by AnMzungu » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:19 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Rigo wrote:
yoglol wrote:

It's a plenty fine dream. Everyone is looking to get something different out of life.
Including unemployment?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:50 am

AnMzungu wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Rigo wrote:
yoglol wrote:

Including unemployment?
82.5% of the class finds employment within 9 months. Sure, it's not the choice I would make, but if OP wants to work locally, which it sounds like he does, then I don't see a problem with it as long as OP is attending at a price that doesn't jeopardize his future.

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:06 am

olikatz wrote:I live in Southern California and would really like to go to Loyola LA. I'm in the median for LSAT and GPA but sent my app on the very last possible day to send it. Will this adversely affect my admission chances? Also, if I am in the median and apply early on next cycle (assuming softs are good) am I a shoo-in?
OP, to answer your question seriously instead of quibbling over how dream-worthy your dreams are... I don't know the specifics at Loyola, but my guess would be that there wouldn't be much if any adverse influence on your odds of admission--that said, you might not get as much in scholarship money as you otherwise would've. The school may already have maxed its scholarship budget.

That's not necessarily true-- I got a pleasantly hefty offer from one school at which I was around gpa/lsat median, and I submitted only a few days before you did... maybe they were worried about falling medians, maybe I know how to write one hell of a personal statement, who can say for sure...

But if you don't get enough scholarship money to keep your debt burden low, you should retake. It will up your odds of a scholarship and allow you to have even more dreamy dreams. Like having the freedom to ask a serious question on a forum without being met with derision and condescension!

Edit- A couple more thoughts:

I'm pretty sure that for most schools (all?), the "deadline" is not absolute. They will take a qualified candidate after the deadline--although you would still be better positioned applying early in the cycle!

I wouldn't say you're a shoo-in... you may have screwed up the rest of your application, or something else random could happen. But if you're at or above median, you have a very solid chance.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
82.5% of the class finds employment within 9 months. Sure, it's not the choice I would make, but if OP wants to work locally, which it sounds like he does, then I don't see a problem with it as long as OP is attending at a price that doesn't jeopardize his future.
Maybe you have been following op in other posts, but from his single post in this thread I'm not sure how you can tell he wants to work local.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

olikatz

Bronze

Post by olikatz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:48 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Maybe you have been following op in other posts, but from his single post in this thread I'm not sure how you can tell he wants to work local.
I want to work local. Problem solved.

olikatz

Bronze

Post by olikatz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Wow this was a fun thread to look back on. Anyway I got in and got a 65% scholarship. I can understand the mentalities of a lot people that are on this site for too long that have embodied to whole "Harvard or bust" thing, but get real. There are schools other than ivy leagues and T-14s around for a reason. Attorneys come from schools all around America and that pettiness of where you went to school disappears once you're out in the real world. I do want to practice locally in the community I grew up in so Loyola LA is a great fit for me. Not everyone watches Suits. Thanks to all of those on this forum that had objective responses for me.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:01 pm

olikatz wrote:Wow this was a fun thread to look back on. Anyway I got in and got a 65% scholarship. I can understand the mentalities of a lot people that are on this site for too long that have embodied to whole "Harvard or bust" thing, but get real. There are schools other than ivy leagues and T-14s around for a reason. Attorneys come from schools all around America and that pettiness of where you went to school disappears once you're out in the real world. I do want to practice locally in the community I grew up in so Loyola LA is a great fit for me. Not everyone watches Suits. Thanks to all of those on this forum that had objective responses for me.
Not sure it's necessarily petty but can confirm that the pettiness of where you went to school does not disappear once you're out in the real world. Some scents (good or bad) waft along with you for a long, long time.

Also while we're getting real keep in mind that some law schools exist just to rob tax payers of their hard earned money.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Neat. How much of your likely salary will be going towards repaying 35% tuition and COL debt?

And yeah, total bullshit that no one cares where you went to school after your first job, even ignoring that your first job is almost entirely determined by where you go to school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

olikatz

Bronze

Post by olikatz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:31 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Neat. How much of your likely salary will be going towards repaying 35% tuition and COL debt?

And yeah, total bullshit that no one cares where you went to school after your first job, even ignoring that your first job is almost entirely determined by where you go to school.
Yea fuck things like networking. As long as your degree has a special school's name on it just pick your corner office and you're set. I'll try to pick up a few more scholarships through upcoming interviews with the school and bar associations. If not, then loans. I've also been saving and investing since I was 15 with the intention of paying COL during academia. Either way, repaying loans do suck, but I live in Southern California where a 1500 sq ft. 3 bedroom family home costs $600,000. High COL here has desensitized me to $100,000 debt.
Last edited by olikatz on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olikatz

Bronze

Post by olikatz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:36 pm

BigZuck wrote:
olikatz wrote:Wow this was a fun thread to look back on. Anyway I got in and got a 65% scholarship. I can understand the mentalities of a lot people that are on this site for too long that have embodied to whole "Harvard or bust" thing, but get real. There are schools other than ivy leagues and T-14s around for a reason. Attorneys come from schools all around America and that pettiness of where you went to school disappears once you're out in the real world. I do want to practice locally in the community I grew up in so Loyola LA is a great fit for me. Not everyone watches Suits. Thanks to all of those on this forum that had objective responses for me.
Not sure it's necessarily petty but can confirm that the pettiness of where you went to school does not disappear once you're out in the real world. Some scents (good or bad) waft along with you for a long, long time.

Also while we're getting real keep in mind that some law schools exist just to rob tax payers of their hard earned money.
BZ, explain the robbing thing. Are you referring to unaccredited mill schools?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:19 pm

olikatz wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Neat. How much of your likely salary will be going towards repaying 35% tuition and COL debt?

Yea fuck things like networking. As long as your degree has a special school's name on it just pick your corner office and you're set. I'll try to pick up a few more scholarships through upcoming interviews with the school and bar associations. If not, then loans. I've also been saving and investing since I was 15 with the intention of paying COL during academia. Either way, repaying loans do suck, but I live in Southern California where a 1500 sq ft. 3 bedroom family home costs $600,000. High COL here has desensitized me to $100,000 debt.
*sigh*

But what do you think your salary is going to be? A high COL in the area doesn't help your point.

If your sole ambition is to work for a small firm or local PI, then Loyola is a good choice. But you seem to be under the impression that in the "real world", going to Loyola won't stop you from taking that local small firm job and turning into biglaw, or using that local government position to become an AUSA. Even if you're right and employers don't care about school name (they do, by the way, but we'll ignore that), schools like Loyola limit your options for your first job, which can have long-lasting ramifications for your career. More importantly, that has long-lasting ramifications for how you pay off your debt.

Also, the vast majority of posters on this site are emphatically not "Harvard or bust", so no idea where you picked up that nonsense.

olikatz

Bronze

Post by olikatz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:53 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
olikatz wrote:

*sigh*

But what do you think your salary is going to be? A high COL in the area doesn't help your point.

If your sole ambition is to work for a small firm or local PI, then Loyola is a good choice. But you seem to be under the impression that in the "real world", going to Loyola won't stop you from taking that local small firm job and turning into biglaw, or using that local government position to become an AUSA. Even if you're right and employers don't care about school name (they do, by the way, but we'll ignore that), schools like Loyola limit your options for your first job, which can have long-lasting ramifications for your career. More importantly, that has long-lasting ramifications for how you pay off your debt.

Also, the vast majority of posters on this site are emphatically not "Harvard or bust", so no idea where you picked up that nonsense.
Based on my experience working at a local PI/Defense firm that hire many Loyola, Chapman, Southwestern, other local grads, etc. the starting salaries are $75-85k (a firm started by a Loyola grad that went from solo to 12 associates in just 5 years after 3 years working in biglaw btw). My COL point was to say that I am not afraid of loans. With housing prices what they are here, average families carry debts of $500k+ which is mind boggling to those living in states where houses can be bought for $50k. I'm not saying it is gonna be easy living and paying loans and I am conscious of the fact that I may have to live like shit for a few years post grad. Either way you are assuming that I want something more than local legal jobs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Loyola law school isn't a dream school generally, not because it's not fine institution, but because we're not talking about college. We are talking about professional schools... and for that, you want to go to the school that gives you the best chance to succeed.

Having many posts on this forum doesn't mean certain people, myself included, didn't dream big enough. Some of us are practicing attorneys happy to volunteer our time to help out others.

olikatz

Bronze

Post by olikatz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:13 pm

zot1 wrote:Loyola law school isn't a dream school generally, not because it's not fine institution, but because we're not talking about college. We are talking about professional schools... and for that, you want to go to the school that gives you the best chance to succeed.

Having many posts on this forum doesn't mean certain people, myself included, didn't dream big enough. Some of us are practicing attorneys happy to volunteer our time to help out others.
I get that and honestly I wasn't a teenager dreaming of one day going to Loyola law school, but as I got older I became realistic of what my goals were and where I would like to practice. I think if I wrote "I am in the median stats of my TARGET/IDEAL school but applied late, what are my chances?" I wouldn't be getting so much flak. I am on board with what you are saying and believe one should go to the best schools they can get into. I just don't think people should get offended by someone else's goals and aspirations that don't match their own.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:21 pm

Yeah but you care so much about it and still applied late...

I don't think anyone is offended by your dreams. They just offered the suggestion that you could aim higher. Loyola could very well result in unemployment, a shitty job, and a large sum of debt. It's a suggestion. You don't have to take it. After all, you will be the one carrying the weight of your decision.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:23 pm

olikatz wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

BZ, explain the robbing thing. Are you referring to unaccredited mill schools?
Mostly, I mean those are obviously the most egregious offenders. I'll continue to keep it real though: states like CA/NY/TX really only need like 3 law schools. There's a lot of fat that should be cut, IMO. Attorneys do literally come from every law school in this country but that doesn't mean that all or even most are ESTEEMED INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING deserving of OUR HIGHEST ESTEEM.

Also high student debt is not really comparable to a large mortgage.

Also there's no Harvard or bust mentality (or T14 or bust mentality or whatever you want to call it). You made that up. There is a "Help people get the job they want at an appropriate cost" mentality that permeates these fora. Maybe that's what you were thinking of? But why would you rage against that machine? Seems like a nice enough machine to me!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”