GULC & December 2017 LSAT Exam Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
svanderwoodsen

New

GULC & December 2017 LSAT Exam

Post by svanderwoodsen » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:51 pm

GULC is my dream law school, and the perfect fit for my career aspirations. Unfortunately, my LSAT (162) is nowhere near what is needed to be admitted to GULC. I'm eligible to take the December 2017 LSAT exam, and plan on doing so. However, I would still like to apply to GULC ED, just so that way they see that it's my top choice and that I'm extremely interested. But, the December LSAT exam scores are posted early January, and my application will be submitted around September. Will I be rejected by GULC before then? Or will have the chance to update them with my new (hopefully higher score)?

The more I think about this strategy, the more nervous I get. I'm taking the December LSAT mainly to be admitted to GULC (my #2 law school choice is more of a regional school, and I have the GPA and LSAT to be admitted).

LawTweet

Bronze

Re: GULC & December 2017 LSAT Exam

Post by LawTweet » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:17 pm

svanderwoodsen wrote:GULC is my dream law school, and the perfect fit for my career aspirations. Unfortunately, my LSAT (162) is nowhere near what is needed to be admitted to GULC. I'm eligible to take the December 2017 LSAT exam, and plan on doing so. However, I would still like to apply to GULC ED, just so that way they see that it's my top choice and that I'm extremely interested. But, the December LSAT exam scores are posted early January, and my application will be submitted around September. Will I be rejected by GULC before then? Or will have the chance to update them with my new (hopefully higher score)?

The more I think about this strategy, the more nervous I get. I'm taking the December LSAT mainly to be admitted to GULC (my #2 law school choice is more of a regional school, and I have the GPA and LSAT to be admitted).
162 is above the 25th percentile. It's not that unrealistic. What's your GPA? Also, why not take the September LSAT?

svanderwoodsen

New

Post by svanderwoodsen » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:41 pm

LawTweet wrote:
svanderwoodsen wrote:GULC is my dream law school, and the perfect fit for my career aspirations. Unfortunately, my LSAT (162) is nowhere near what is needed to be admitted to GULC. I'm eligible to take the December 2017 LSAT exam, and plan on doing so. However, I would still like to apply to GULC ED, just so that way they see that it's my top choice and that I'm extremely interested. But, the December LSAT exam scores are posted early January, and my application will be submitted around September. Will I be rejected by GULC before then? Or will have the chance to update them with my new (hopefully higher score)?

162 is above the 25th percentile. It's not that unrealistic. What's your GPA? Also, why not take the September LSAT?
My GPA is too low for GULC, unfortunately. I have a 3.1. I do have some extenuating circumstances that did affect my GPA, so I might write an addendum. Regardless, I think a higher LSAT can only help, not hurt, my applications. I can't take the exam in September because I've taken the exam three times (Cancel,162,162). But I would be eligible to take the exam in December of this year.

bceagle_4

New

Post by bceagle_4 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:45 am

svanderwoodsen wrote:
LawTweet wrote:

My GPA is too low for GULC, unfortunately. I have a 3.1. I do have some extenuating circumstances that did affect my GPA, so I might write an addendum. Regardless, I think a higher LSAT can only help, not hurt, my applications. I can't take the exam in September because I've taken the exam three times (Cancel,162,162). But I would be eligible to take the exam in December of this year.
Just a thought that may be totally wrong, but most people I've heard talk about this agree. If you've taken the LSAT twice and gotten the same exact score, you're not likely to improve it just by taking it another time. Unless you didn't study at all for the first two. Or you had some crazy circumstances like a person having a mental breakdown during the exam, causing it to be interrupted while orderlies from the hospital's psych ward across the street came in to cart her away (this is an actual story my friend told me about from his LSAT experience).

If GULC is really your dream school, it may be best to take some time off and gain work experience. That will be much more beneficial to your admission chances than a few extra points on the LSAT (which aren't guaranteed).

Whatever you decide to choose, best of luck!

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 am

bceagle_4 wrote:
If GULC is really your dream school, it may be best to take some time off and gain work experience. That will be much more beneficial to your admission chances than a few extra points on the LSAT (which aren't guaranteed).

I'm surprised nobody else has jumped on this, so I guess I will. This is totally false! An extra 4 points on the LSAT would do much more for the OP than any work experience, even something prestigious.

The way I see it, OP, is that if you are set on GULC, and especially with a weak GPA, you've got no other choice but retake and hope for a 168

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Yeah, you've got to retake it no matter what if this is your goal. I wouldn't feel safe with anything less than 170/171
Last edited by AJordan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mangomochi

New

Post by mangomochi » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Last edited by mangomochi on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

svanderwoodsen

New

Post by svanderwoodsen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:36 am

bceagle_4 wrote:
svanderwoodsen wrote:
LawTweet wrote:

Just a thought that may be totally wrong, but most people I've heard talk about this agree. If you've taken the LSAT twice and gotten the same exact score, you're not likely to improve it just by taking it another time. Unless you didn't study at all for the first two. Or you had some crazy circumstances like a person having a mental breakdown during the exam, causing it to be interrupted while orderlies from the hospital's psych ward across the street came in to cart her away (this is an actual story my friend told me about from his LSAT experience).

I actually didn't study hard at all the first couple of times that I took it. I was working as a paralegal at a top law firm, so I honestly didn't have much time to study. To be honest, looking back on the amount of effort that I put into it, I'm shocked that I even got a 162. I've switched to a part-time position so between now and December, so I have a ton of time to study. I'm a good test-taker and I truly think that I can do better, and I think that admission to a school like GULC or Wash U is worth taking the LSAT one last time.

svanderwoodsen

New

Post by svanderwoodsen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
bceagle_4 wrote:

I'm surprised nobody else has jumped on this, so I guess I will. This is totally false! An extra 4 points on the LSAT would do much more for the OP than any work experience, even something prestigious.

The way I see it, OP, is that if you are set on GULC, and especially with a weak GPA, you've got no other choice but retake and hope for a 168
Thanks! That's the plan. I'm taking the exam in December, and will start studying around June. I have two years of WE completed, and I'm ready to do law school so I don't want to take yet another year off. I figure that even if I don't get into GULC, a 167-169 will give me a good chance at schools like Wash U or BU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:04 pm

svanderwoodsen wrote: Thanks! That's the plan. I'm taking the exam in December, and will start studying around June. I have two years of WE completed, and I'm ready to do law school so I don't want to take yet another year off. I figure that even if I don't get into GULC, a 167-169 will give me a good chance at schools like Wash U or BU.
From your post history, you look like you're interested in doing "corporate law." You can do that from any law school. If you're really talking about Big Law instead, then, no, Georgetown is still not the perfect school for your career aspirations. Only ~40% of students are landing Big Law work, and it's really not worth it if you have $300k+ of debt hanging over your head. And, yes, that's what you're going to have to pay, because you're going to have to pay sticker for GULC (barring a 173+, and that's not even a guarantee for scholarship). If you really just want corporate work, go to your state flagship or a regional school that gives you money. If that idea repulses you, then raise your LSAT a bit and apply to schools like Washington and Lee, BU, William & Mary, or Boston College rather than GULC. They would at least throw some money your way and give you anywhere between a 20%-40% shot of Big Law/repaying your debt in a non-BL corporate setting.

Regardless, you need to reevaluate your goals/make them much more explicit so we can help you more.

svanderwoodsen

New

Post by svanderwoodsen » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:25 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
svanderwoodsen wrote: Thanks! That's the plan. I'm taking the exam in December, and will start studying around June. I have two years of WE completed, and I'm ready to do law school so I don't want to take yet another year off. I figure that even if I don't get into GULC, a 167-169 will give me a good chance at schools like Wash U or BU.
From your post history, you look like you're interested in doing "corporate law." You can do that from any law school. If you're really talking about Big Law instead, then, no, Georgetown is still not the perfect school for your career aspirations. Only ~40% of students are landing Big Law work, and it's really not worth it if you have $300k+ of debt hanging over your head. And, yes, that's what you're going to have to pay, because you're going to have to pay sticker for GULC (barring a 173+, and that's not even a guarantee for scholarship). If you really just want corporate work, go to your state flagship or a regional school that gives you money. If that idea repulses you, then raise your LSAT a bit and apply to schools like Washington and Lee, BU, William & Mary, or Boston College rather than GULC. They would at least throw some money your way and give you anywhere between a 20%-40% shot of Big Law/repaying your debt in a non-BL corporate setting.

Regardless, you need to reevaluate your goals/make them much more explicit so we can help you more.
While I'm interested in corporate law, I'm not 100% set on it yet. GULC is the perfect fit for me, mainly because I have an entire support system in DC (my husband, family etc.) that I would hate to leave behind. BU is another option for me, just because I know that I want to practice in either DC or Boston. I know where GULC stands (especially compared to the T13), so I won't be applying ED or anything to the school (regardless of my LSAT score), but GULC is still one of my top choices.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”