How will a drop in my LSAT affect my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nhegde

New

How will a drop in my LSAT affect my chances?

Post by nhegde » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but I figured I'd throw it out there anyways. I recently took the LSAT for the third time last month, mostly because I expected to have a big jump in score. The first time I took it, I got a 156, the second time a 162. Unfortunately, this third time yielded a 157. This result really bummed me out and the depression has given way to panic since I'm unsure how much this will adversely affect my chances of getting in to a good law school. Another round at the LSAT really appears to be out of the question, but man this last score just about killed me. Anyone have any advice?

loslakers

New

Re: How will a drop in my LSAT affect my chances?

Post by loslakers » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:00 pm

nhegde wrote:Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but I figured I'd throw it out there anyways. I recently took the LSAT for the third time last month, mostly because I expected to have a big jump in score. The first time I took it, I got a 156, the second time a 162. Unfortunately, this third time yielded a 157. This result really bummed me out and the depression has given way to panic since I'm unsure how much this will adversely affect my chances of getting in to a good law school. Another round at the LSAT really appears to be out of the question, but man this last score just about killed me. Anyone have any advice?
it won't affect your chances at all. schools only care about your highest LSAT score cuz thats the one they're gonna report.

nhegde

New

Post by nhegde » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:23 pm

loslakers wrote:

it won't affect your chances at all. schools only care about your highest LSAT score cuz thats the one they're gonna report.
Well, that's a bit of a relief then. Do you think I should send the law schools I applied to an addenda explaining my score results then? Studying for/taking the test definitely affected how quickly I sent in my applications to different schools. I was wondering if I should clarify that with them since I'm really getting down to the wire in terms of deadlines and I'd like to have even the remotest shot of getting in/a scholarship.

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:24 pm

I dropped 6 points. It made absolutely ZERO difference. Only thing I lost was the time I spent studying....

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Lawschool305 wrote:I dropped 6 points. It made absolutely ZERO difference. Only thing I lost was the time I spent studying....
I also did not include an addendum.

champagnepapi

New

Post by champagnepapi » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:26 pm

nhegde wrote:
loslakers wrote:

Well, that's a bit of a relief then. Do you think I should send the law schools I applied to an addenda explaining my score results then? Studying for/taking the test definitely affected how quickly I sent in my applications to different schools. I was wondering if I should clarify that with them since I'm really getting down to the wire in terms of deadlines and I'd like to have even the remotest shot of getting in/a scholarship.
Sorry to hear about the decrease, it's definitely frustrating. My score decreased by 4 points on my retake and it made no difference - my cycle so far 100% supports the idea that they only look at higher score.

As for the addendum, you can check school websites for their policy on this (some ask for one for changes of 6+ points, if I remember), but I wouldn't (and I didn't!). It's a tough test, adcomms know that, things happen, and you're a 162 in their eyes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”