Chances & Retake? - Below Average Softs, 172/3.9x Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Aricole

New

Chances & Retake? - Below Average Softs, 172/3.9x

Post by Aricole » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:44 pm

Hello all!

I know my numbers are like all too frequent in this forum, but I really need advice on the qualitative side as well as possible retake of LSAT. I will be applying for the next cycle as a graduating undergrad, and I am pretty certain law school is my best/most ideal option.

Hard Facts:
LSAT 172 (February 2017 first take)
GPA 3.9x (could fluctuate a bit till application since I'm still a junior)
undergraduate university - top 20 private, History & Poli Sci double-major
technically international student but spent all my undergrad in U.S.
not URM

Softs:
no WE expected by the time of application - virtually no summer internships, spent & will spend my summers on thesis research

extracurricular activities in undergrad:
two research assistantships (humanities), academic journal editor, student government staff - basically no leadership positions

My major concerns are:
1. Should I retake LSAT in June, if aiming for HYS? If yes, what would be the lowest ideal score?
2. With below-average softs, what would be my realistic chance at T6?

Disclaimer: I did run my numbers through LSN and the like, but the results seem too good given my softs and that T6 have more than enough good-number applicants.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Last edited by Aricole on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floatie

Silver

Re: Chances & Retake? - Below Average Softs, 172/3.9x

Post by floatie » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:26 pm

I think you're fine, and I wouldn't risk a retake - you're more likely to score lower than higher.

Regarding softs: being K-JD could hurt you but I don't think your softs are so weak that they'll keep you out. Make sure your essays and your LORs are solid and you'll be fine. Since you've mentioned research, any chance at a publication?

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Retake is fine, tho not necessary. You'll get minimum 1 of HYS, and some full rides in the t14.

Aricole

New

Post by Aricole » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:41 pm

floatie wrote:I think you're fine, and I wouldn't risk a retake - you're more likely to score lower than higher.

Regarding softs: being K-JD could hurt you but I don't think your softs are so weak that they'll keep you out. Make sure your essays and your LORs are solid and you'll be fine. Since you've mentioned research, any chance at a publication?
Thanks! Indeed I worry more about a potential "lowering trend" than the score itself, but either way it's a tough question.

For research, I do not think my senior thesis itself would generate a publication before/during application.
For the research assistantship part, I am planning an article with one of my faculty somehow pertinent to legal studies, but likely not ready till August/September. The biggest issue about this article is that most legal journals tend to have a February deadline? So that I might be having a ready-for-publication work, but not able to see it published at the time of application. Sorry this is indeed a tedious explanation...

Aricole

New

Post by Aricole » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:45 pm

SweetTort wrote:Retake is fine, tho not necessary. You'll get minimum 1 of HYS, and some full rides in the t14.
Aww thanks so much for this! It's definitely encouraging.

I see my current score as at an awkward line, kind of "usable" but not advantageous in any sense lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20170322 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:47 pm

Aricole wrote:
SweetTort wrote:Retake is fine, tho not necessary. You'll get minimum 1 of HYS, and some full rides in the t14.

I see my current score as at an awkward line, kind of "usable" but not advantageous in any sense lol.
I'd retake, mainly because you've got nothing to lose and t6 scholarships to gain.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:58 pm

Also take some time off after you graduate. A couple of years of work experience would make your application much stronger. And also give you more life experience and perspective.

ETA And also be fun.

Aricole

New

Post by Aricole » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:49 pm

SweetTort wrote:
Aricole wrote:

I'd retake, mainly because you've got nothing to lose and t6 scholarships to gain.
Yeah thanks! Just made up my mind to at least register and prepare for the June LSAT. :D

Aricole

New

Post by Aricole » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Dcc617 wrote:Also take some time off after you graduate. A couple of years of work experience would make your application much stronger. And also give you more life experience and perspective.

ETA And also be fun.
Thanks for this! I do hesitate over the idea of going straight into law school, but it seems like my undergrad experience thus far makes it easier to apply directly than to look for a job lol.

Just dreaming but the most ideal case would be a deferral.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”