171/3.43/Softs Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
FrannyBaby

New

171/3.43/Softs

Post by FrannyBaby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:21 pm

Classic splitter. Planning to retake in October and apply the second the apps open in the fall. I don't want to get too specific on my softs because they'd identify me, but I have two years of political work experience roughly equivalent to lines listed in Yale's profile of their entering class. Graduated from a top 5 LAC.

I'm thinking T-14 or bust. If I don't improve on the retake, where should I apply?

Third edit in my post LSAT score daze. If I get a 175+ on a retake, any chance at HYS or will GPA likely keep me out?
Last edited by FrannyBaby on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Re: 171/3.43

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:23 pm

Damm your stats are great. A handful of T14's you like and/or the best schools in your desired location.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 pm

FrannyBaby wrote:Classic splitter. Planning to retake in October and apply the second the apps open in the fall. I don't want to get too specific on my softs because they'd identify me, but I have political experience roughly equivalent to lines listed in Yale's profile of their entering class.

I'm thinking T-14 or bust. If I don't improve on the retake, where should I apply?
all t14 except hys

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Frankly, I don't think you need to retake unless you really want to. You're already good for all t14 sans HYS, and an increase to 175 won't get you HYS because of your GPA.

Russellwestbrookzero

New

Post by Russellwestbrookzero » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:01 pm

I have the exact same stats as you, just got my Feb LSAT score and it was a 171. Scored 169 in December and I was hoping to do a bit better. At this point I will take it again in June, but I dont see a guarantee of an improvement though I will give it a shot.

As to the OP's question - how do his chances look for the following schools? This would provide me an accurate barometer for where I stand as well:

Michigan
NU
NYU
Columbia
Cornell

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sawtooth

New

Post by Sawtooth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:08 pm

I have the same LSAT and around a 3.5, with likely weaker softs. I have been WL at all the T14s except GULC and Michigan. Not sure if I'm underperforming my stats, but I would blanket the T14 and any other school you have interest in attending.

Russellwestbrookzero

New

Re: 171/3.43/Softs

Post by Russellwestbrookzero » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:44 pm

were you waitlisted at NU as well?

Sawtooth

New

Post by Sawtooth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:56 pm

Yeah, I was WL at NU. I think with stats around 3.5 and 171 you are definitely in the running for everywhere outside HYSCC, but don't be shocked if you get the WL at a lot of the T14. Michigan offered me decent money, so I'm not that broken up about my cycle. Outside the T14 I think 171 and 3.5 gets you in everywhere.

Russellwestbrookzero

New

Post by Russellwestbrookzero » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:20 pm

Great to hear, are you attending Michigan? I am interested in the NW ED option but with my 171 ~3.5 it appears as if those stats are too low. Seems like NW is more competitive this year compared to previous years

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Sawtooth

New

Post by Sawtooth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:39 pm

I'm trying to decide between Michigan and T1 Regional school that offered me full tuition. I thought I saw that someone on LSN had around a 3.5 and a 171 and got accepted ED to NU, so I think it's certainly worth a try.

FrannyBaby

New

Post by FrannyBaby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Would a masters degree from Harvard help with law school admissions at all? I got into the MPP program last week and am considering doing it contingent on financial aid. A joint JD/MPP would likely help with my career goals, though isn't strictly speaking necessary,

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:22 pm

FrannyBaby wrote:Would a masters degree from Harvard help with law school admissions at all? I got into the MPP program last week and am considering doing it contingent on financial aid. A joint JD/MPP would likely help with my career goals, though isn't strictly speaking necessary,
You're not going to get into Harvard's JD program with your stats, so the joint JD/MPP is not going to happen. I would think long and hard if you want to even go to law school. With your career goals, the Harvard MPP + an elite LAC background might be enough, but you'd need to be a bit more detailed for any of us to really know.

FrannyBaby

New

Post by FrannyBaby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:20 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
FrannyBaby wrote:Would a masters degree from Harvard help with law school admissions at all? I got into the MPP program last week and am considering doing it contingent on financial aid. A joint JD/MPP would likely help with my career goals, though isn't strictly speaking necessary,
You're not going to get into Harvard's JD program with your stats, so the joint JD/MPP is not going to happen. I would think long and hard if you want to even go to law school. With your career goals, the Harvard MPP + an elite LAC background might be enough, but you'd need to be a bit more detailed for any of us to really know.
The JD is necessary, the MPP is optional (though given no financial barriers, it's what I'd spend next year doing). I'm wondering about the MPP's impact on law school admissions within the T-14 more broadly (or any potential impact on scholarships) more so than for Harvard specifically. If an MPP might get me a better chance at a Northwestern ED e.g., then that affects my comfort level of debt from the MPP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:30 pm

I know at least one person with a higher LSAT and GPA did not get into NU via ED this year, so I wouldn't bet money on getting it

FrannyBaby

New

Post by FrannyBaby » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 pm

chargers21 wrote:I know at least one person with a higher LSAT and GPA did not get into NU via ED this year, so I wouldn't bet money on getting it
Thanks!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:37 pm

FrannyBaby wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I know at least one person with a higher LSAT and GPA did not get into NU via ED this year, so I wouldn't bet money on getting it
Thanks!
A few were lucky this cycle though

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/michaelangelo123
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/skigirl123

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:01 am

FrannyBaby wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
The JD is necessary, the MPP is optional (though given no financial barriers, it's what I'd spend next year doing). I'm wondering about the MPP's impact on law school admissions within the T-14 more broadly (or any potential impact on scholarships) more so than for Harvard specifically. If an MPP might get me a better chance at a Northwestern ED e.g., then that affects my comfort level of debt from the MPP.
I think the TLS consensus is that additional degrees don't help much. Applying to law school is largely a numbers game. Raising your LSAT score by 2 points would probably be more beneficial than an additional degree (and debt). Your graduate degree isn't going to count for your LSDAS GPA, so you're not going to get any help there. Your degree would be a nice soft, so if you're really on the edge of getting into a school maybe it will help, but if you're really on the edge that would also imply no merit-based aid there. No school is going to give you much, if anything, in merit-based aid for having an additional degree. Maybe you'll get $80k and an applicant with identical credentials minus your MPP will get $70k. Whatever the scholarship difference, I don't think the MPP is justifiable from the standpoint of boosting your application/merit-aid.

As for Northwestern specifically, a year of additional work experience is probably going to help you more than an MPP. The thing NU loves about their students is that they spent time outside of UG deciding they wanted to go to law school. They generally don't want the K-JD crowd (although they admit a few). I'm worried that an MPP versus an additional year of work experience right before law school might send a signal that you still haven't figured out what you want to do, which is exactly what NU is trying to avoid with K-JD. If you wrote a compelling essay about your work experience + why MPP/JD was a natural next step, then I think that could be helpful. Again though, I'm not sure if the MPP would be justifiable on your end considering it would require you to take on more debt and forego another year of earnings potential/solid WE that NU likes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:07 am

Based on this information, I have to ask:

Why do you want to go to law school? Your background sounds like it's in politics. You're already admitted to a prestigious MPP program. It sure sounds like you're more interested in politics than in the law.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:51 pm

We are numbers twins! I have a slightly higher GPA and LSAT, but not enough to make a difference. I have applied this cycle, and from what I have heard - I think I have shot myself in the foot. I applied in Feb very close to the deadlines, so I am now getting waitlisted left and right. So I might actually take this cycle off, if no one would bite. And then I would retake for 175+.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”