Super Splitter with Experience Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
C La

New

Super Splitter with Experience

Post by C La » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:06 pm

25 years old, taking LSAT in summer, currently getting 174-176 on 3-hour practice test sessions after skimming PowerScore Logic Games Bible and Kaplan LSAT Advanced

I got two undergrad degrees in chemical engineering and English Literature, I got a 2.75 GPA.

Law School Numbers has many blank profiles with similar stats. After clicking on the 20th one and learning nothing, I came here. I fucking hate my GPA.

Work Experience, Legal Interest, and Kind-of Reasons for My GPA
Before graduating, I co-founded and led a startup organization that fundraised over $40k over two years and built a sustainable water tower and piping system in an impoverished Belizean village (it sounds like a joke, but that's what I did). I also volunteered about 600 hours in a law firm before graduating.

I knew my second year of school I wanted to be a lawyer and not an engineer, but I persisted. Engineering is a tough program when it's not your thing. I also was admitted to the hospital for depression during one of my two internships at Halliburton, which were personally insignificant, but maybe they should be mentioned in an application? I figure when I write an essay I will really be stretched for room and need to leave out Hally.

From Nov. last year to Nov. this year I work full time in a legal aid law firm managing our state's Website for legal services, while also working part-time waiting tables (where I am also a pseudo-manager and have been working for two years)

grades??

Silver

Re: Super Splitter with Experience

Post by grades?? » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:09 pm

Come back when you have an lsat. A lot of people can practice test high, not a lot of people score in that range on the real thing. Im sure you can, but we can't speculate until you have a score.

C La

New

Post by C La » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:10 pm

I will.

Lifeshouldbehappy

New

Post by Lifeshouldbehappy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:20 pm

If you can make the same score on the actual LSAT, I would say you have a pretty good shot at law school. However, if I were you, I would email the admissions office of your top choice and some other schools, explaining your circumstances and asking for your chances of being accepted there. I am pretty sure the next few replies you will get in this thread will be somthing like "take the LSAT and then talk about your stuff" and asking instead and again why you chose to become a lawyer instead of an engineer which might pay you more. In my case, I had a troublesome LSAT score and with that I emailed the admissions office at my top choice, asking for my chances, and they replied to my inquiry in a very kind manner. At the end, I was admitted!

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Similar circumstances as you with a low stem gpa. Was PT averaging 177, got a few points lower than that on the real thing. More work experience than you, in at a few T14s and hoping for more. There is hope.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:33 am

C La wrote:I will.
Great. Come back when you do.

You're not a super splitter. You're an applicant with a low GPA hoping for a high LSAT. Get the high LSAT, then come back with a specific score.

C La

New

Post by C La » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:36 am

I said I will come back, not I will get a high LSAT. I understand how you misread that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”