-- Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dinizdeoliveira

New

--

Post by dinizdeoliveira » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:55 pm

--
Last edited by dinizdeoliveira on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhenders

Silver

Re: International/Foreign, 172 LSAT, Above Average - where should I am for full scholarship?

Post by zhenders » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:09 pm

No biglaw because no desire, or because you're not in a position to borrow for the T-14? The difficulty as I see it (and I hope others will comment) is that for sponsorship purposes, biglaw is likely to be much more amenable than midlaw. Also, a 172 is an excellent score which makes you eligible for all schools, and employment prospects are significantly different outside of the t-14. If you're dead set on full rides only, then apply from t10 down to the t20. But if you want excellent job prospects I'd apply only to the t14; you should have access with good money at more than a few.

chargers21

Gold

Re: International/Foreign, 172 LSAT, Above Average - where should I am for full scholarship?

Post by chargers21 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:21 pm

I hear in house is hard to pull without biglaw. Also, I've also heard the same things as the previous poster about getting sponsorship

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 pm

How are you going to get sponsorship if you don't go biglaw? You need to seriously consider that question.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Also the idea that there's some sort of thing out there called midlaw is 90% flame.

E. but blanket the top 14. You should get lots of offers, come back with them and we can tell you where to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:04 am

HuntedUnicorn wrote:Also the idea that there's some sort of thing out there called midlaw is 90% flame.

E. but blanket the top 14. You should get lots of offers, come back with them and we can tell you where to go.
I always saw midlaw as meaning secondary market large firms, in a way

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:21 am

chargers21 wrote:
HuntedUnicorn wrote:Also the idea that there's some sort of thing out there called midlaw is 90% flame.

I always saw midlaw as meaning secondary market large firms, in a way
This makes sense though the big players in a lot of secondary markets are just straight up big law firms.

But I got the sense that OP was talking about firms that pay less in return for fewer hours and a better lifestyle. I don't want to overstate the case, but that's more or less fantasy.

Basically I wouldn't go to law school under any circumstances if you're not willing to do PI, biglaw, or gov.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:18 pm

If you'll already have an LLB, shouldn't you be aiming for LLM programs?

dinizdeoliveira

New

Post by dinizdeoliveira » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:32 pm

--
Last edited by dinizdeoliveira on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Name a city and we might be able to give you more info but as a rule of thumb people go into biglaw because that's where the jobs are. Other firms exist but they a: don't necessarily give you less work and b: they don't necessarily recruit law students.

Life is probably better at non NYC firms though, but most of them still count as biglaw.

dinizdeoliveira

New

Post by dinizdeoliveira » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:54 pm

--
Last edited by dinizdeoliveira on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Nashville and Austin are both incredibly competitive markets that hire very few lawyers every year. Other Texas markets (Houston and Dallas) are bigger but also probably aren't all that different from biglaw anywhere else. I don't know much about St. Louis but I don't get the impression that there are a ton of good law jobs there either. The big firms in Boston- Goodwin and Ropes come to mind, might as well be NY biglaw but they're a lot more selective.

Basically the jobs you're describing in all these markets are highly competitive especially from the schools you named and aren't necessarily all that lifestyle friendly. You should be able to get $$$$ at a t14 school and it's POSSIBLE to get one of the jobs you described from their but I wouldn't go to law school unless you were willing to go to big firm.

dinizdeoliveira

New

Post by dinizdeoliveira » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:35 pm

--
Last edited by dinizdeoliveira on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:43 am

dinizdeoliveira wrote:All right, a representative example of what I had in mind is WUSTL's ED full-ride and living/working in St. Louis.
I get you said example, but don't even think about doing this. You will very likely get a full scholly from WUSTL without having to ED.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”