CHANCES/ Retake or not? Got into Michigan already! 168/3.72 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
nzmich

New

CHANCES/ Retake or not? Got into Michigan already! 168/3.72

Post by nzmich » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:48 pm

I got a 168 on my dec. lsat, it was my second try (got a 163 in sept.), my GPA is 3.72 and I went to Michigan undergrad... I got into Mich. (applied early admit. in nov. but was accepted reg. admission). So far I've applied to all top 16 schools( except Harvard, Yale and Chicago/northwestern )... I applied to all those schools pretty late in the cycle because I didn't get my second LSAT until the first week in Jan., so I applied to all of them in Jan/early feb... I think my soft factors are pretty strong, and my personal statement is fairly strong as well. Also I'm sort of URM but not officially, lets just say I would contribute to diversity.

My main concern is money ATM, I'm broke and so are my parents so loans would be my only option without scholarships, Michigan sent me an initial merit aid offer of zero lol, so I'm hoping to get into/get some scholarship offers from the other ranked schools so I could at least leverage that.

What do you guys think about my chances at getting in/getting scholarships at peer schools,( DUKE, Virginia, PENN, NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, GTOWN, ucla)
Also, my dream school would be Stanford, I applied there even though I know my stats are low but, I figured what the heck... what r my chances applying so late there and with my stats ?

Finally, I got a 168 on my Dec., which was a 5 point improvement, but I think its definitely possible for me to get a 172/173 if I went hardcore for the June LSAT, but Im already on a GAP year and lost a year in college b/c of medical reasons, so I really really really don't want to spend another year out of school. Open to any and all advice/ info on chances, scholarship, scholarship negotiations , and realistically what sitting out another year and getting a 172/173 could get me..... thanks in advance!!!

proteinshake

Gold

Re: CHANCES/ Retake or not? Got into Michigan already! 168/3.72

Post by proteinshake » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:03 pm

nzmich wrote: What do you guys think about my chances at getting in/getting scholarships at peer schools,( DUKE, Virginia, PENN, NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, GTOWN, ucla)
Also, my dream school would be Stanford, I applied there even though I know my stats are low but, I figured what the heck... what r my chances applying so late there and with my stats ?

Finally, I got a 168 on my Dec., which was a 5 point improvement, but I think its definitely possible for me to get a 172/173 if I went hardcore for the June LSAT, but Im already on a GAP year and lost a year in college b/c of medical reasons, so I really really really don't want to spend another year out of school. Open to any and all advice/ info on chances, scholarship, scholarship negotiations , and realistically what sitting out another year and getting a 172/173 could get me..... thanks in advance!!!
most likely out everywhere except UCLA and GTown (http://mylsn.info/cpurps/). definitely retake. even if you did get into any of the other schools, you likely wouldn't get any money from them. if you think you can get a 170+, it'd definitely be worth it. even a 1 point increase would make a significant difference.

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:36 pm

I have very similar numbers to you. From Personal Experience. You should retake if you can improve. Those few points would make a world of a difference.

nzmich

New

Post by nzmich » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:39 pm

proteinshake wrote:
most likely out everywhere except UCLA and GTown (http://mylsn.info/cpurps/). definitely retake. even if you did get into any of the other schools, you likely wouldn't get any money from them. if you think you can get a 170+, it'd definitely be worth it. even a 1 point increase would make a significant difference.
[/quote]

I think I can get a 170+, my pt's going into dec. were 173 avg., if I take it June and get a 170+ would I be able to leverage that for scholarship for this year?

But heres my thing... If I could get around 20k a year at Michigan, in merit aid, .. I feel like it would be a good enough for me to just go..., I definitely expect some need aid from Michigan as well so say they give me 10 k in need based aid, that would put me at around 40k of debt per year(tuition plus living expenses) , 120k is still a lot of debt but its much more manageable than 210k... plus I wouldn't have to extend law school for another year.

This is assuming Michigan will give me something if ucla, gtown, usc, UTA, WUST come through with high scholarship offers....

nzmich

New

Post by nzmich » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:43 pm

Lawschool305 wrote:I have very similar numbers to you. From Personal Experience. You should retake if you can improve. Those few points would make a world of a difference.

The problem is it would be my third retake (which lowers my chances at HYS) and I got into a t-10 school in Michigan so its really tempting for me to just go... Also, I would have to sit out another entire year... are you applying this cycle? did you retake, reapply and then get more scholarships?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blackmamba8

Bronze

Post by blackmamba8 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:02 pm

You can retake in June for scholarships for this cycle.

Chipotle85

Bronze

Post by Chipotle85 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:54 am

nzmich wrote:I got a 168 on my dec. lsat, it was my second try (got a 163 in sept.), my GPA is 3.72 and I went to Michigan undergrad... I got into Mich. (applied early admit. in nov. but was accepted reg. admission). So far I've applied to all top 16 schools( except Harvard, Yale and Chicago/northwestern )... I applied to all those schools pretty late in the cycle because I didn't get my second LSAT until the first week in Jan., so I applied to all of them in Jan/early feb... I think my soft factors are pretty strong, and my personal statement is fairly strong as well. Also I'm sort of URM but not officially, lets just say I would contribute to diversity.

My main concern is money ATM, I'm broke and so are my parents so loans would be my only option without scholarships, Michigan sent me an initial merit aid offer of zero lol, so I'm hoping to get into/get some scholarship offers from the other ranked schools so I could at least leverage that.

What do you guys think about my chances at getting in/getting scholarships at peer schools,( DUKE, Virginia, PENN, NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, GTOWN, ucla)

You will most likely get a full ride or very close to it to Wash U if that does anything for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”