How screwed am I?.....Disability/How do I asses my chances? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TXguy2016

New

How screwed am I?.....Disability/How do I asses my chances?

Post by TXguy2016 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Hello,

I was wondering, how do I assess my chances if I have to disclose my disability/and what schools have mandatory interviews?

These two aspects are linked as I have a rare eye condition called nystgamus where my eyes involuntary movement that is constant. While I would not consider it super distracting, it is somewhat noticeable. I have had great struggles in the past job finding or applying for student organizations on campus in the past when not disclosing (maybe because similar involuntary eye movements can be linked to substance abuse or if an interviewer may assume that my eyesight is worse than it actually is because of those movements and therefore assume that I may not be able to carry out the duties of the job)......Since I have had such difficulty in job finding, I'm deciding to just disclose and work on the positive side of my disability. My concerns as it relates to law school interviews, I know in the past disabled students felt that they may have had adverse admissions outcomes in the past when LSAC flagged accommodated LSATs but now they no longer do. I only plan on disclosing my condition to schools with mandatory interviews because there is no benefit of doing so for other schools.

Would I have to have a higher than median LSAT for that specific school even if my GPA is in their range to prove to an adcom that my disability would not be a hinderance? I have a 3.7 GPA but no LSAT

(I want this conversation to be strictly admissions based, but I do realize that I will have to weigh all this out for other factors such as internships and a job after law school)

cavalier1138

Re: How screwed am I?.....Disability/How do I asses my chances?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:44 pm

There's no reason to not disclose the disability, and it will not increase the required numbers for you to get admitted anywhere. Disclosing this far in advance is actually going to be helpful down the line if you need to ask a school for exam accommodations.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:58 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:There's no reason to not disclose the disability, and it will not increase the required numbers for you to get admitted anywhere. Disclosing this far in advance is actually going to be helpful down the line if you need to ask a school for exam accommodations.
My view is only disclose when needed. No one else who needs accommodations will disclose until after they are admitted.

There is a reason not to disclose. She could be harmed by the disclosure. There is a reason why scores are no longer able to be flagged by LSAC at admission.

I also think this is premature until you have a score.

TXguy2016

New

Post by TXguy2016 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Would you view an interview as the only appropriate time to disclose as mentioned earlier?

Also, I fail to see how it is premature as I will have sufficient numbers for admission into at least one school with my 3.7 GPA. Even a 145 (the 25th percentile) would get me into a school. A school worth going to/or even applying? Probably not, but I don't see a reason why I would not get admitted by at least one school.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:36 pm

TXguy2016 wrote:Would you view an interview as the only appropriate time to disclose as mentioned earlier?

Also, I fail to see how it is premature as I will have sufficient numbers for admission into at least one school with my 3.7 GPA. Even a 145 (the 25th percentile) would get me into a school. A school worth going to/or even applying? Probably not, but I don't see a reason why I would not get admitted by at least one school.
That isn't how you should be thinking about admissions. If you go to any school that accepts you with a 145, you won't be a lawyer, but you will be in a ton of debt.

Without an LSAT score, you really don't have any idea of your admissions chances anywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:45 pm

TXguy2016 wrote:Hello,

I was wondering, how do I assess my chances if I have to disclose my disability/and what schools have mandatory interviews?

These two aspects are linked as I have a rare eye condition called nystgamus where my eyes involuntary movement that is constant. While I would not consider it super distracting, it is somewhat noticeable. I have had great struggles in the past job finding or applying for student organizations on campus in the past when not disclosing (maybe because similar involuntary eye movements can be linked to substance abuse or if an interviewer may assume that my eyesight is worse than it actually is because of those movements and therefore assume that I may not be able to carry out the duties of the job)......Since I have had such difficulty in job finding, I'm deciding to just disclose and work on the positive side of my disability. My concerns as it relates to law school interviews, I know in the past disabled students felt that they may have had adverse admissions outcomes in the past when LSAC flagged accommodated LSATs but now they no longer do. I only plan on disclosing my condition to schools with mandatory interviews because there is no benefit of doing so for other schools.

Would I have to have a higher than median LSAT for that specific school even if my GPA is in their range to prove to an adcom that my disability would not be a hinderance? I have a 3.7 GPA but no LSAT

(I want this conversation to be strictly admissions based, but I do realize that I will have to weigh all this out for other factors such as internships and a job after law school)
You've got a great GPA score above a 150, write an addendum and you're good!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:

What? Why 150..? I'm sorry but that score definitely won't make OP "good."

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:

What? Why 150..? I'm sorry but that score definitely won't make OP "good."
I said above 150 and he needs a good addendum which he will have.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”