FL Schools? Chance? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Atm94

New

FL Schools? Chance?

Post by Atm94 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 pm

Last edited by Atm94 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Re: FL Schools? Chance?

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:02 pm

I think you have a decent chance at FSU probably 50/50. Slightly less of a chance at UF.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:03 pm

Chances are middling-to-low with your current score. Your best plan of action is to not go to either of these schools at sticker price.

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:29 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Chances are middling-to-low with your current score. Your best plan of action is to not go to either of these schools at sticker price.
Its cheaper to go to either one of those at sticker than other instate schools with anything other than 50% scholarship and they are significantly better schools, I was more looking for admissions advice, thanks though.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:32 pm

Atm94 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Chances are middling-to-low with your current score. Your best plan of action is to not go to either of these schools at sticker price.
Its cheaper to go to either one of those at sticker than other instate schools with anything other than 50% scholarship and they are significantly better schools, I was more looking for admissions advice, thanks though.
Again, that is my admissions advice: do not go to either of these schools at sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:57 pm

Surprised to read that Florida reported an acceptance rate of 62% for 2015.

OP: If you can offer a reasonable explanation for your GPA, then you should be admitted to both schools. If not, then at least one acceptance is likely.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:44 am

OP is at Median for both schools for LSAT... I think he/she has a solid shot with a good GPA explanation.... I have a low GPA too, but it was a military academy where inflation does not exist

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:31 pm

Your chances are decent at UF/FSU, per the above. But what cavalier is mentioning in saying don't attend either at sticker is that these are not good value investments. Unless you have someone paying for it (parents, gov't, tooth fairy, etc.), you're still looking at substantial debt that will be difficult to service with the types of outcomes that are likely from UF/FSU. They are the best bets in FL to be sure, but that doesn't make them good investments at full price. It's incredibly risky financially.

What are your goals with this degree? Would you consider retaking the LSAT to improve chances of a scholarship? If you are able to defray the cost of UF/FSU and you want smaller firm/government work in Florida, they could be great for you. But full price debt-serviced for those outcomes could be financially ruinous.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:01 am

Let me also add:

Dude...do you have ties to FL?? Like, did you go to High School or (preferably and) UG in FL?

Quite frankly, FL's legal market is uniquely insular--right up there with Seattle and Louisiana for well-publicized on TLS as being tough to find employment without long-term connections to the area. Not saying you're automatically going to be unemployed if you present yourself as, solely, a UF/FSU Law grad, but it'll be much MUCH harder than some kid who went to West Orange High School and put in four years in Gainesville.

Point being, make sure you're sure as shit UF/FSU are for you (and certainly don't make the mistake of going at sticker--just, yuck)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:51 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:OP is at Median for both schools for LSAT... I think he/she has a solid shot with a good GPA explanation.... I have a low GPA too, but it was a military academy where inflation does not exist
I've got a decent addendum, which ties in with my Personal statement, good Letters of Recs as well.

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:53 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Let me also add:

Dude...do you have ties to FL?? Like, did you go to High School or (preferably and) UG in FL?

Quite frankly, FL's legal market is uniquely insular--right up there with Seattle and Louisiana for well-publicized on TLS as being tough to find employment without long-term connections to the area. Not saying you're automatically going to be unemployed if you present yourself as, solely, a UF/FSU Law grad, but it'll be much MUCH harder than some kid who went to West Orange High School and put in four years in Gainesville.

Point being, make sure you're sure as shit UF/FSU are for you (and certainly don't make the mistake of going at sticker--just, yuck)
My whole life has been spent in Florida, many close family friends practice law and I attend one of the two (FSU/UF) for UG so I've spent plenty of time here as well. Its not one of those "OH DISNEY WORLD HERE WE COME" sort of deals. Its been my dream since I was in kindergarten to attend Levin or FSU College of Law and practice in my hometown.

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:02 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Your chances are decent at UF/FSU, per the above. But what cavalier is mentioning in saying don't attend either at sticker is that these are not good value investments. Unless you have someone paying for it (parents, gov't, tooth fairy, etc.), you're still looking at substantial debt that will be difficult to service with the types of outcomes that are likely from UF/FSU. They are the best bets in FL to be sure, but that doesn't make them good investments at full price. It's incredibly risky financially.

What are your goals with this degree? Would you consider retaking the LSAT to improve chances of a scholarship? If you are able to defray the cost of UF/FSU and you want smaller firm/government work in Florida, they could be great for you. But full price debt-serviced for those outcomes could be financially ruinous.
My goals with the degree are private practice -- not sure 100% what yet-- Would like to end up in elected office or become a Judge at some point as well.

The main point was getting into one if not both, the rest I can work with.
Last edited by Atm94 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:32 am

Atm94 wrote: My goals with the degree are private practice -- not sure 100% what yet-- Would like to end up in elected office or become a Judge at some point as well.
Just to head this off at the pass: if your ultimate goal is elected office (yes, I noticed how you buried it in there), then you shouldn't be going to law school at all. And "private practice" is overly broad. Are you referring to solo practice? Small firm? Big firm?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:38 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Atm94 wrote: My goals with the degree are private practice -- not sure 100% what yet-- Would like to end up in elected office or become a Judge at some point as well.
Just to head this off at the pass: if your ultimate goal is elected office (yes, I noticed how you buried it in there), then you shouldn't be going to law school at all. And "private practice" is overly broad. Are you referring to solo practice? Small firm? Big firm?
only $40k of debt, fuck it, i'd get a useless law degree in a quest to hold office

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:10 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
only $40k of debt, fuck it, i'd get a useless law degree in a quest to hold office
Private practice -- small to midsize firms, not interested in big law at all. Type of law I'm not 100% sure I've got a few areas of interest but nothing that would require me to go to a school that specialized in that kind of law (if that makes sense). Elected official stuff is way down the road or small town stuff-- not trying to get a law degree and become president.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Atm94 wrote: Private practice -- small to midsize firms, not interested in big law at all. Type of law I'm not 100% sure I've got a few areas of interest but nothing that would require me to go to a school that specialized in that kind of law (if that makes sense). Elected official stuff is way down the road or small town stuff-- not trying to get a law degree and become president.

this is cool, i fuck with it

well realistically you should just retake to the LSAT to get a +165 (hoping that's what your February score is), and then have a better shot at getting money for UF and FSU

im not gonna pry, but the money for school gotta come from somewhere, and it's better to come from the university pockets than a relative/friend/fund/etc. A high LSAT would put you in line for some $$ from FSU.

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:34 pm

HennessyVSOP wrote:
Atm94 wrote: Private practice -- small to midsize firms, not interested in big law at all. Type of law I'm not 100% sure I've got a few areas of interest but nothing that would require me to go to a school that specialized in that kind of law (if that makes sense). Elected official stuff is way down the road or small town stuff-- not trying to get a law degree and become president.

this is cool, i fuck with it

well realistically you should just retake to the LSAT to get a +165 (hoping that's what your February score is), and then have a better shot at getting money for UF and FSU

im not gonna pry, but the money for school gotta come from somewhere, and it's better to come from the university pockets than a relative/friend/fund/etc. A high LSAT would put you in line for some $$ from FSU.
Yeah I put myself behind the curve by not starting LSAT earlier, Im hoping with maybe even a +1 from feb but again just assuming I didn't improve for arguments sake.

Yeah scholarship money would be nice because thats more money in my pocket (or not out of my pocket) -- but like I said I just wanna be in the door, whatever comes after is just icing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jag13

Bronze

Post by jag13 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:38 pm

I have similar stats and got in to UF with a huge scholly. You might as well apply. If you're a florida resident the scholarship is tied to in-state tuition and brings the cost down even lower.

Atm94

New

Post by Atm94 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:16 pm

jag13 wrote:I have similar stats and got in to UF with a huge scholly. You might as well apply. If you're a florida resident the scholarship is tied to in-state tuition and brings the cost down even lower.
I just brought my LSAT score up today with the Feb test so I'm confident ill atleast get in but nothing is promised-- (162 is the new score)

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:26 am

Atm94 wrote:
jag13 wrote:I have similar stats and got in to UF with a huge scholly. You might as well apply. If you're a florida resident the scholarship is tied to in-state tuition and brings the cost down even lower.
I just brought my LSAT score up today with the Feb test so I'm confident ill atleast get in but nothing is promised-- (162 is the new score)
With a 162 you should be in at UF and FSU. UF raised their LSAT median significantly last year from a 157 to a 160 and I think their dean wants to keep that trend going. One way they did it last year was by giving a lot of scholarship money out so hopefully you benefit as you are now higher than their 75th percentile last year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”