Q Answered-Can Be Deleted Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
KME89

New

Q Answered-Can Be Deleted

Post by KME89 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Last edited by KME89 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: How Much do Softs Matter at Regional Schools?

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Your work experience and graduate degree (not your graduate GPA) will have some impact, but probably not enough to offset the 152.

And you probably shouldn't go to any of these schools without a full scholarship. But you probably think this is "career advice", so I wrote it really small.

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Not everyone can get into a T14. All of these schools have some of the lowest unemployment/underemployment numbers on the east coast that have the specific program I am looking for.
Last edited by KME89 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:51 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Your work experience and graduate degree (not your graduate GPA) will have some impact, but probably not enough to offset the 152.
cherry-picking favorable parts of your application (i.e. "i have good softs for these regional schools") doesn't help you

your strong softs are a non-factor with a low LSAT score, and will have no effect on your application
your strong softs are a strong factor with a high LSAT score, and maybe give you that edge over applicants with similar scores

your softs are like rainbow sprinkles

when you put them on ice cream, they make the ice cream taste better
when you put them on fiberglass insulation, it doesn't matter if they make the fiberglass insulation taste better, because no one is interested in eating fiberglass insulation

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:55 pm

So at what point do people in the 25th percentile get accepted?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:00 pm

KME89 wrote:Not everyone can get into a T14. All of these schools have some of the lowest unemployment/underemployment numbers on the east coast that have the specific program I am looking for.
No one said anything about getting into a T14. At all. Literally no one on this thread except you has even used that term. Although it's worth noting that "specific programs" at law schools are usually less than worthless, and with these schools in particular, that is certainly the case.

People with both numbers in the 25th percentile (or below) rarely get accepted, period. The people who do might be (reverse-)splitters, or they might be URMs. As was mentioned, soft factors don't generally make up for deficiencies in your application; they just enhance your application relative to others in your score band. So an applicant with a 160 and a year of work experience as a part-time fast-food employee will beat you in admissions.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:02 pm

KME89 wrote:So at what point do people in the 25th percentile get accepted?
usually when their other grade/score is at the 75th (e.g. a balanced application)

with a higher score and that GPA you could easily get accepted to any of these schools, probably even a scholarship. you say you have a third-party scholarship; is it applicable to living expenses?

btw i support you going to any of those schools - they are all good schools.
but with your current application, you won't get into any.
Last edited by Hennessy on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:09 pm

So if I'm understanding this right, the 25th percentile is really just for splitters whose other score is in the 75th percentile?
Last edited by KME89 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

loslakers

New

Post by loslakers » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:14 pm

KME89 wrote:So at what point do people in the 25th percentile get accepted?
its a consensus that most law schools consider GPA and LSAT to be the most important parts of your application. some estimates say these two components to be worth 80-95% of your application. so basically, if you dont have the LSAT/GPA combination your application really won't be considered. GENERALLY if you have one of these below the 25th percentile (say your GPA) then you'd need to have an LSAT score worth at or above the 75th percentile and vice versa. your other "soft" factors really only come into play if you've met the certain threshold to be a competitive applicant. but if your LSAT and GPA are both way below the 25th it's doubtful you would make past the initial "high enough LSAT/GPA combination" phase. Unfortunately your GPA is gonna be stuck at a 3.2, but you can study and raise your LSAT to make yourself a more competitive applicant. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:24 pm

KME89 wrote:So if I'm understanding this right, the 25th percentile is really just for splitters whose other score is in the 75th percentile?
Unless you're a URM, that's generally the case. Remember, the schools are trying to get their medians up (or at least keep them steady). If you're going to threaten to lower one median, you need to make it worth their while.

Hennessy

Gold

Post by Hennessy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:30 pm

KME89 wrote:I'm fortunate to have been able to save enough to cover my living expenses.

So if I'm understanding this right, the 25th percentile is really just for splitters whose other score is in the 75th percentile?
At or below the 25th, yeah, you gotta be at or above the 75th in your other numbers.

Schools want to raised their position in the rankings, and they want to be able to charge more. So they're only gonna take a hit on their medians if you can raise their other medians. It sucks but it's true.

your best bet is to retake the LSAT, sorry to say it

KME89

New

Post by KME89 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:36 pm

Thank you both for explaining this. I took the 25th percentile to mean 1 in 4 get in.
Last edited by KME89 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:38 pm

KME89 wrote:Thank you both for explaining this. I took the 25th percentile to mean 1 in 4 get in. For what it's worth, I applied to UCONN's PT program and my former employer is friends with the Dean, wrote one of my LOR's, and spoke to him specifically about my application. Crossing my fingers that's enough and I won't have to retake.
Yeah, that's not what it means, and MyLSN is pretty accurate in showing you that's not the case.

Also, I would strongly recommend not pursuing a PT program outside of very specific circumstances. If that was the "specific program" you were referring to, you should do some real research into the relative costs/benefits of a PT program, because it's rarely a good idea.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”