161, 3.5 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
andry

New

161, 3.5

Post by andry » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Looking at Boulder, Chapel Hill, Ohio State, AZ State and Madison.

Double major political science/sociology.

Chance me, thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: 161, 3.5

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Looks like Boulder might be the only long-shot. But how did you come up with this school list? What are your career goals and where do you want to work? Because these schools all place you in very different parts of the country.

andry

New

Post by andry » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Thanks for the response!

So, my list was essentially made with these factors in mind: most bang (rank) for buck in terms of my GPA/LSAT, how much I enjoy each place to live (I strongly dislike where I am now, so a relatively influential factor), and my current interests, environmental/IP law.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:13 pm

andry wrote:So, my list was essentially made with these factors in mind: most bang (rank) for buck in terms of my GPA/LSAT, how much I enjoy each place to live (I strongly dislike where I am now, so a relatively influential factor), and my current interests, environmental/IP law.
A few things to consider:

1. You should not be comparing these schools by USNWR ranking. They each serve different regions of the country, so their national ranking is meaningless.

2. Just to make sure you're on the right page about "place to live": you're referring to "live", not "go to school for three years", right? Because with all of these, you'll end up making your career in the same state the school is in.

3. Your last criterion was a little concerning, because it sounds like you've been consulting specialty rankings. Don't. Specialty rankings are largely meaningless, especially when it comes to regional schools.

Speaking of that last one, what level of environmental/IP law did you envision yourself practicing? Big firm, in-house, NGO, government, etc.?

jstanhope14

New

Post by jstanhope14 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:27 pm

If you aren't opposed to working in New England, I'd recommend retaking the LSAT and trying to bump up a few points to get into BC/BU. They place quite well into biglaw and you'll have lots of good midlaw options in smaller markets, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:15 pm

Have you applied yet because it's getting a little late in the cycle and the same numbers probably could have yielded better results in August? The specific ranking number really doesn't matter, the only ranking that matters is the one in the market you want to practice. What tier a school is in does give an idea of how difficult getting in will be because to an extent USNWR becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Specialty rankings and reputation are BS in terms of employment opportunities although of course a school having classes in stuff you're interested in/want to practice is important.

I'm actually in a similar position as you region wise I want to leave my current region and am choosing between my alternatives. It would have been easier for you to simply choose a region or two before applying and then apply to all the schools in that region. The above poster was correct you'll probably be living wherever you go to school FOREVER so pick carefully! If these are the only schools you've applied to you should wait a year and apply early and to more schools. Even without a retake(which you don't need but can certainly open up more doors if you manage to improve) that would make things so much easier. If you really want to go to school this year though pick a school that will give you serious $ because you're above their medians by a bit and apply NOW.

andry

New

Post by andry » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:44 pm

@cavalier

By "live", I did mean for the foreseeable future. As far as your bullet point 3 goes, I think I may have been doing that. I'm not even going to try and hide that I'm not the most informed regarding the logistics of rankings, but I'm trying to figure it out.

@jstanhope . I wouldn't be opposed at all, I've been considering BC/BU strongly. I'm retaking this Feb test with 164, 163, 163, 162, 162 on my last 5 PTs (all in the 70s, more recent) to try and increase my prospects. I appreciate the recommendation!

@ferris . Thanks for the reply. I'm aware I'm a bit late in the cycle, but my scores have gone up a decent bit since my last take, so I'm kind of hedging a bet by taking/applying with the Feb test. Honestly, if it turns out that I am too late and get rejected from the majority of my favored schools, I wouldn't mind applying day 1 in the fall. However, I am a bit stir-crazy and eager to move onto the next stage of life, getting a bit tired of this holding pattern. I know the consequences of rushing things as I sort of am, still considering my options.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:41 pm

andry wrote:@cavalier

By "live", I did mean for the foreseeable future. As far as your bullet point 3 goes, I think I may have been doing that. I'm not even going to try and hide that I'm not the most informed regarding the logistics of rankings, but I'm trying to figure it out.

@jstanhope . I wouldn't be opposed at all, I've been considering BC/BU strongly. I'm retaking this Feb test with 164, 163, 163, 162, 162 on my last 5 PTs (all in the 70s, more recent) to try and increase my prospects. I appreciate the recommendation!

@ferris . Thanks for the reply. I'm aware I'm a bit late in the cycle, but my scores have gone up a decent bit since my last take, so I'm kind of hedging a bet by taking/applying with the Feb test. Honestly, if it turns out that I am too late and get rejected from the majority of my favored schools, I wouldn't mind applying day 1 in the fall. However, I am a bit stir-crazy and eager to move onto the next stage of life, getting a bit tired of this holding pattern. I know the consequences of rushing things as I sort of am, still considering my options.
If you're super eager your best bet is applying everywhere you want right now and if you're score does go up hoping that makes up for as much lost time as possible. You'll be able to inform schools of your changed LSAT once you get them if you're on the borderline. I understand not wanting to wait a year because of wanting to leave one's situation(I get the sense you're in the same boat seeing as you want to leave your area)and go somewhere new. If your score improves another important question is have you already applied to any of the places you've mentioned?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”