168 LSAT, 3.96 GPA. Chance me? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: 168 LSAT, 3.96 GPA. Chance me?

Post by BigZuck » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:08 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote: More relevant: http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... erdata.pdf

You will, hopefully, gain one extra point, on average. If you're ready to apply this cycle, might as well roll the dice and see where you get into, rather than likely doing the exact same application next year.
Where are you seeing the specific point gain? The only thing that chart shows (which completely contradicts your argument, incidentally) is that a retake more often results in a higher score than a lower one. And as mentioned, gaining one point can be worth a metric ton of scholarship money, especially since that one point would be added to not applying stupidly late in the cycle.
the AVERAGE column is the percent change.And yes, sure, you may score better, but if you score better by 1 point, or 1 question, there's a trade-off there that should at least be acknowledged versus "there is no downside to retaking"
BigZuck wrote:Just to be clear: Even if you were committed to attending this cycle NO MATTER WHAT and even if you were committed to not spending one more second or one more dollar studying for the LSAT NO MATTER WHAT, retaking in June would 100% be a no brainer. Try and squeeze out an extra point at least. See if that will get you more scholarship money. It's clearly the right thing to do.

Of course you should also dedicate yourself to a retake and consider applying early next cycle. But even if you do neither of those things you should retake the LSAT.
Come on

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:31 pm

just listn to everything cav and zuck say and youll be fine op

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:05 pm

tinycatfriend wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
tinycatfriend wrote: More relevant: http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source ... erdata.pdf

You will, hopefully, gain one extra point, on average. If you're ready to apply this cycle, might as well roll the dice and see where you get into, rather than likely doing the exact same application next year.
Where are you seeing the specific point gain? The only thing that chart shows (which completely contradicts your argument, incidentally) is that a retake more often results in a higher score than a lower one. And as mentioned, gaining one point can be worth a metric ton of scholarship money, especially since that one point would be added to not applying stupidly late in the cycle.
the AVERAGE column is the percent change.And yes, sure, you may score better, but if you score better by 1 point, or 1 question, there's a trade-off there that should at least be acknowledged versus "there is no downside to retaking"
Just to clarify this for you: that is the average column for all the retakers, including those who had their score go down. Which means that it's actually quite likely that of the average retaker who improved (read: the average retaker who actually studied effectively and did what they should do to raise their score) is much more than one point. The LSAT is not a dice-rolling venture (unlike the first year of law school). You have absolute control over your score, and you cannot use the broad statistical trend to determine what happens when someone actually takes retaking seriously.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:51 pm

I have a 167 and 3.95 GPA. Got into every law school to which I applied this cycle. But I wish I had a better LSAT score, purely for financial reasons. It's frustrating to see someone with just three points higher than me get a full-ride, especially knowing that could have been me. I'm looking at some great options with decent money (check myLSN), but I hate feeling caught between prestige and finances.

I also don't think I would have gotten my results without applying super early, aka the first day apps opened.

Whether you retake or not, I recommend waiting out this cycle if the delay fits into your life plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”