170/3.99/Peace Corps service Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
llorjc721

New

170/3.99/Peace Corps service

Post by llorjc721 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:01 pm

I graduated summa cum laude three years ago from a large public university (well-ranked but certainly not exceptional). My GPA was 3.99 with 4.0 in both of my majors. In addition, I had strong leadership and research experience during my undergraduate career. After I graduated, I served in the Peace Corps, and my major project relates significantly to the international human rights law that I plan to study.
I just received 170 on my LSAT. I was hoping to receive some guidance about which top schools I have the best chance. I was specifically looking at Columbia, UChicago, and Berkeley. Any advice would be appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: 170/3.99/Peace Corps service

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:04 pm

Very solid shot at Berkeley. Decent shot at Columbia and Chicago.

You have a better chance at NYU than you do at Columbia or Chicago, and I have no idea why someone focusing on international human rights wouldn't be looking there.

dyebri

Bronze

Post by dyebri » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:08 pm

I have no idea what the person above is talkking about. You have a solid shot at COLUMBIA, NYU, AND BERKELEY. YOU WILL DO GREAT

uion1715

New

Post by uion1715 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:13 pm

0L so not really here to give a solid advice, but I ran your number through LSN and saw that you have a 50/50 shot at Columbia, a pretty good shot at Chicago (Given its preference toward high-GPA applicants), and excellent shot at NYU and downward.

Not entirely sure why, but you also have a pretty good shot at Harvard given what I looked. Might be worth an app if you don't mind paying decent amount of $$$ for it, since H doesn't do merit aid.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:06 pm

dyebri wrote:I have no idea what the person above is talkking about. You have a solid shot at COLUMBIA, NYU, AND BERKELEY. YOU WILL DO GREAT
Wow. Columbia's median must have dropped two points when I wasn't looking. As the other poster mentioned, it's about a 50/50 chance at Columbia, about 2/3 chance at Chicago, compared to almost guaranteed admission from NYU on down.

Next time, I'll type in all caps just to be sure I've done my due diligence.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:43 pm

cavalier1138 wrote: Next time, I'll type in all caps just to be sure I've done my due diligence.
id like some other emphasis as well. maybe some italics or emoticons. will really make your advice stand out. thx.

WalkingContradiction

New

Post by WalkingContradiction » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:04 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
dyebri wrote:I have no idea what the person above is talkking about. You have a solid shot at COLUMBIA, NYU, AND BERKELEY. YOU WILL DO GREAT
Wow. Columbia's median must have dropped two points when I wasn't looking. As the other poster mentioned, it's about a 50/50 chance at Columbia, about 2/3 chance at Chicago, compared to almost guaranteed admission from NYU on down.

Next time, I'll type in all caps just to be sure I've done my due diligence.
Yea, their Median LSAT is higher, but OP isnt a K-JD. He did the Peace Corps and can make a direct tie from that to why law school. Any application is a crap shoot, but just looking at the class profile won't give you a good idea for his chances-- applicants like OP will outperform their numbers and OP already has great numbers.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:09 pm

WalkingContradiction wrote: Yea, their Median LSAT is higher, but OP isnt a K-JD. He did the Peace Corps and can make a direct tie from that to why law school. Any application is a crap shoot, but just looking at the class profile won't give you a good idea for his chances-- applicants like OP will outperform their numbers and OP already has great numbers.
As another older law student, you're misconstruing the boost. Work/life experience helps offset a lower undergrad GPA. It does not particularly help in adding points to the LSAT, especially at schools like Columbia, where having the Peace Corps on your resume isn't anything out of the ordinary. So yes, MyLSN will still give a relatively accurate portrait (or as an accurate a portrait as that site can give) of the OP's chances. Not every application is a crap-shoot, just the applications that aren't at or above both medians for a school.

At no point did I say the OP didn't have great numbers. But Columbia places a heavy emphasis on the LSAT, which means that even the OP will not be a guaranteed admit.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Anecdotal evidence: I have a 170, 3.9 GPA and have gotten into Columbia, NYU, Chicago, and Berkely already in their first waves. I did not have anything nearly as impressive as the Peace Corps on my resume, either. I've also had an interview at Harvard but haven't heard back a decision yet.

So, based on my experience, you have a great shot at all the schools you listed. (this observation is only based on my own personal experience.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”