What are my chances with a 2.7 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
myke.nel

New

What are my chances with a 2.7 GPA

Post by myke.nel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:47 am

What will I have to score on the LSAT in order to get into a T14? My UGPA will be a 3.11 by the end of this semester but I have an F and D on my transcript so LSDAS figures them into my GPA so I don't think I will have over a 3.0 when I apply. Also I'm a URM coming from a HBCU undergrad.

edcrane

Bronze

Re: What are my chances with a 2.7 GPA

Post by edcrane » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:53 am

Doesn't you UG school include your f and d in your gpa calculation?

I imagine a high 160s to low 170s would give you a decent shot at the T14 if you're a URM.

myke.nel

New

Post by myke.nel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:48 am

No they only count the D because I took the class over again and raised the F to a D.

indyguy7484

New

Post by indyguy7484 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:56 am

If you can pull around a 3.0 LSAC GPA a 170+ will get you a T-14. You could probably go as low as 165 or so and still have a shot at one of the lower T-14, depending on softs. Do you have a reason for the low GPA (difficult major, etc.) or an upward trend? Those could significantly mitigate the effect of the GPA.

bryguy

New

Post by bryguy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:56 am

edcrane wrote:Doesn't you UG school include your f and d in your gpa calculation?

I imagine a high 160s to low 170s would give you a decent shot at the T14 if you're a URM.
I agree ... :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

myke.nel

New

Post by myke.nel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Will it be worth it to take summer school classes in order to bring up my GPA or should I just worry about taking the LSAT?

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:42 pm

myke.nel wrote:Will it be worth it to take summer school classes in order to bring up my GPA or should I just worry about taking the LSAT?
It depends on your diagnostic score. If you're already in the mid 160s, it's probably worth taking classes during the summer while concurrently studying for the lsat. If lower it's lower than that, perhaps you should put more emphasis on lsat prep.

jas5076

New

Post by jas5076 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:01 pm

myke.nel wrote:Will it be worth it to take summer school classes in order to bring up my GPA or should I just worry about taking the LSAT?

It will be all about the Lsat for you... With a 2.7 I think you will need at least a 168 since you are urm, if you were I would have said like a 172. But your going to need a kick ass score so make sure to dedicate yourself to that!

Chadbertwick

New

Post by Chadbertwick » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:11 pm

myke.nel wrote:What will I have to score on the LSAT in order to get into a T14? My UGPA will be a 3.11 by the end of this semester but I have an F and D on my transcript so LSDAS figures them into my GPA so I don't think I will have over a 3.0 when I apply. Also I'm a URM coming from a HBCU undergrad.
Your gpa is on the low side and that will hurt you as far as getting into a T14. I don't think you will have much trouble getting into a T25 though with a decent LSAT of about 162 or better. If you manage to score in the high 160's on your LSAT you will likely get into at least one T14. In the meantime, my advice is that you study hard for the LSAT and focus on raising that GPA as high as possible. If summer classes will help, and you really want to go to a T14 school, then do it.

I also attend an hbcu, where do you go?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Chadbertwick

New

Post by Chadbertwick » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:15 pm

Chadbertwick wrote:
myke.nel wrote:What will I have to score on the LSAT in order to get into a T14? My UGPA will be a 3.11 by the end of this semester but I have an F and D on my transcript so LSDAS figures them into my GPA so I don't think I will have over a 3.0 when I apply. Also I'm a URM coming from a HBCU undergrad.
Your gpa is on the low side and that will hurt you as far as getting into a T14. I don't think you will have much trouble getting into a T25 though with a decent LSAT of about 162 or better. If you manage to score in the high 160's on your LSAT you will likely get into at least one T14. In the meantime, my advice is that you study hard for the LSAT and focus on raising that GPA as high as possible. If summer classes will help, and you really want to go to a T14 school, then do it.

I also attend an hbcu, where do you go?
Sorry, i did not realize your gpa was a 2.7 when i wrote this. I was under the impression that it was a 3.1, and this undboubtedly changes the story (sorry). I absolutely recommend taking summer classes and I think you should focus on making it into a T25 as opposed to a T14. Making it into a T25 will be challenging unless you ace the LSAT with a 169 or higher. So you need to ace that test man!!!

myke.nel

New

Post by myke.nel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:14 pm

Currently my UGPA is a 2.89 and I go to Virginia State. What HBCU do you attend?

Chadbertwick

New

Post by Chadbertwick » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:23 pm

myke.nel wrote:
Currently my UGPA is a 2.89 and I go to Virginia State. What HBCU do you attend?
Morehouse.

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:30 pm

myke.nel wrote:What will I have to score on the LSAT in order to get into a T14? My UGPA will be a 3.11 by the end of this semester but I have an F and D on my transcript so LSDAS figures them into my GPA so I don't think I will have over a 3.0 when I apply. Also I'm a URM coming from a HBCU undergrad. Currently my UGPA is a 2.89 and I go to Virginia State.
That's gonna be a stretch, even for your in-state T14 school (Virginia)... The fact is, even if you pull off >99th%ile LSAT (> ~172) the question will be why you aren't earning grades commensurate with your LSAT, and that's a question you would need to be able to answer well...

Good luck to you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nellie06

New

Post by nellie06 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:38 pm

Taking more classes is pointless, because the amount of classes the op would need to take to raise the gpa significantly has be at least least two semesters worth of work. What's done is done Law schools love work experience. 2 years of we helped me a ton with applying. I'm not saying you need to do two years, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least do one year. You will appear to be a more 'mature' candidate who has a little more life experience and will be focused during law school, and won't mess up a chance someone would gladly take and make the best of. That's my opinion.

myke.nel

New

Post by myke.nel » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:51 pm

nellie06 wrote:Taking more classes is pointless, because the amount of classes the op would need to take to raise the gpa significantly has be at least least two semesters worth of work. What's done is done Law schools love work experience. 2 years of we helped me a ton with applying. I'm not saying you need to do two years, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least do one year. You will appear to be a more 'mature' candidate who has a little more life experience and will be focused during law school, and won't mess up a chance someone would gladly take and make the best of. That's my opinion.
So would you recommend taking the LSAT in June or October? Or would it be best to just take it after I get some work experience?

mrbuckfutter

New

Post by mrbuckfutter » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:58 pm

LSAT later, WE first I think,

even though i got a 3.9 at a top undergrad I was still scoring like 150 on diags in college..WE helped my LSAT a lot. But that's just me

MissVirginia

Bronze

Post by MissVirginia » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:12 pm

myke.nel wrote:
nellie06 wrote:Taking more classes is pointless, because the amount of classes the op would need to take to raise the gpa significantly has be at least least two semesters worth of work. What's done is done Law schools love work experience. 2 years of we helped me a ton with applying. I'm not saying you need to do two years, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to at least do one year. You will appear to be a more 'mature' candidate who has a little more life experience and will be focused during law school, and won't mess up a chance someone would gladly take and make the best of. That's my opinion.
So would you recommend taking the LSAT in June or October? Or would it be best to just take it after I get some work experience?
It's best to take it whenever you are prepared- not sooner, not later- whether that's June, October, or some later year. Everyone plateaus, so if you are prepared (studying over several months, regular timed full-length practice tests proctored in test-Day-like conditions, timing down to be able to work nearly all questions in the allotted 35 minutes...) and you are maxing out at a score, you are unlikely to come up much if you postpone the test and re-prep another year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”