ScoreItUp

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
garcial85

New

ScoreItUp

Postby garcial85 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:57 am

Has anyone taken the ScoreItUp course this year?
I have not taken any LSAT test yet, but I will study on my own and take the LSAT on September. However, if my score is not what I want I'm planning to take the ScoreItUp course. However, the course prices are exceptionally low? Hmm..

Help? Lol
First timer.. Sadly..

Goldchain

New

Re: ScoreItUp

Postby Goldchain » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:34 am

Your post is pretty pointless if you just want to self study first but 7sage is much better imo and you can get the starter package for $179. I would use that for the basics and take new PTs until I was ready
Last edited by Goldchain on Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PlanetExpress

New

Postby PlanetExpress » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:29 pm

garcial85 wrote:Has anyone taken the ScoreItUp course this year?
I have not taken any LSAT test yet, but I will study on my own and take the LSAT on September. However, if my score is not what I want I'm planning to take the ScoreItUp course. However, the course prices are exceptionally low? Hmm..

Help? Lol
First timer.. Sadly..

Is this ScoreItUp, from Irvine, California? I was a student of this a few years ago, when I was an LSAT newbie and didn't know better. It's an absolutely useless course. The instruction is not nearly comprehensive enough. I remember the logic games instruction, in particular, had no natural progression to it. Like, when Mark would explain a game, his explanation wouldn't at all help me with future games of a similar type in the future.

Avoid at all costs.

harrigan89

New

Postby harrigan89 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:26 pm

I have been on this site a long time, but just joined when I happened to see the LSAT prep that I used in a search. I completed ScoreItUp's LSAT prep course and had excellent results as did numerous friends with mine and people who I have referred to the course. The professor, Mark, was very good at teaching the various LSAT concepts in each section, answering any tough questions, and he always expressed a strong willingness to truly help all the students. The logic games is where I saw my greatest improvement. In fact, Mark's expertise in breaking down the games was precisely what allowed me to experience my greatest point increase out of every single section. If anyone is looking for a personalized, extremely helpful course, I'd highly recommend taking ScoreItUp. You are welcome to DM me if anyone wants more details.

ccarpent

New

Postby ccarpent » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:32 pm

I used mark's course in the summer of 2016 and it was so helpful! Scoreitup is the reason why I got into my top law school choice with a full ride. His lessons are actually fun and there are so many proctored exams it really helps when you walk into the actual test you feel very prepared. During the 3 months in his class, I increased my lsat score like 30 points. plus mark is just a cool dude, he takes the class out for dinner and he has mixers at his house for all the students its seriously so much fun

nutellabunny

New

Postby nutellabunny » Thu May 10, 2018 11:51 pm

I have been on this site for years but have not felt the need to post very often. I have posted a couple times before on threads regarding ScoreItUp as this was the prep course that I used to study for the LSAT. (See link to a prior thread regarding ScoreItUp: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=184641&p=5495838&hilit=scoreitup#p5495838)

I am rather surprised to read the earlier post about ScoreItUp since both my friends and I had a great experience, and found Mark to be a very effective teacher. Mark's course does an excellent job of teaching the fundamentals and helped improve my score by 17 points on the actual test. Mark taught us to recognize the patterns behind the logic games and logical reasoning questions, which were applicable to questions on every exam. I ended up scoring in the 99th percentile on the actual test and got into HLS.

Overall, I had a great experience with ScoreItUp and would highly recommend choosing it as your LSAT prep class. Anyone interested is welcome to PM me directly - I'd be happy to provide more details.

sash

New

Postby sash » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Wouldn't recommend. 7sage is cheaper and more comprehensive. The way he teaches is somehow simultaneously dumbed down but also not remotely comprehensive. He doesn't go through the ins and outs of the questions and consequently can't really answer students' questions. The way he goes through the test is very literal, how I imagine a high school English teacher would teach. i.e. if someone asks why an answer choice is wrong, he says - this answer choice has one word which does not match up with this line in the question stimulus. This isn't helpful at all because you will often encounter synonyms and you shouldn't be wasting the time to re-read word by word the question stimulus for every answer choice. The better way to answer that Q would have been to explain like, if it's a weaken question, that this actually doesnt weaken because...or this is irrelevant to the topic because...or this is actually a strengthen answer...or this involves too many assumptions...The way he teaches logic games is an absolute disaster. A majority of the in-class work ends up being homework to do at home like he might have the students do a timed section and then he'll only review in class 5 of the questions. I would rather study at home by myself and take the time to do a thorough review of a section immediately after I did the section. If you have money to blow then just study at home by yourself and show up to the classes when you don't feel like you can focus enough to force yourself to self study and also take the proctored tests on weekends. The proctored tests were really useful to me.

unsweetened

Silver

Postby unsweetened » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:32 pm

I did the ScoreItUp program. I knew that I would benefit from showing up to a class and using that time for dedicated LSAT study. The biggest up side of the class was having some of the logic games explained, where I was having trouble studying on my own. The other plus side was doing a bunch of proctored sessions. I brought my score up by 9 points or so. Instead of barely getting into a decent school, I got in with $.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have done 7sage or aanother robust self study course. It would have cost less money and I wouldn't have spent as much time reviewing areas of strength. Back then, I didnt know about TLS, LST, or anything like that.

jennywithachance

New

Postby jennywithachance » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:11 pm

I don't know how else I would have studied for this exam - I am so glad I enrolled in this prepcourse. Some of my friends are deciding to self-study in efforts to save money, but I strongly advise against this as I have tried to do this myself (and this is coming from someone who prefers to learn at home and self-study). I believe that taking a course dedicated to this exam will make a huge difference than if you do not/did not take one. I walked into my first try of the LSAT so blindly and am so glad I opted for ScoreItUp. It is so essential that you learn from someone who knows this test well, and Mark is very knowledgeable; he knows this test like the back of his hand. The materials provided online are so valuable as the outlines teach you things you probably would never learn by just practicing these questions by yourself.

The class meetings are comfortable (not cramped etc.) and there are mock exams that helps familiarize us with the process.

At first, I was a little intimidated by the cost, as I have just graduated but considering this is going to be my LSAT score (which probably weighs just as heavily as my GPA on my applications to law school) I'm sure it is worth the investment; plus definitely cheaper than my tuition at UCI, lol.

In such a short amount of time, I have learned so much about the exam, and have went from being super frazzled and confused to totally understanding why I'm getting some of the questions wrong. While I wish I had enrolled in this course sooner, I can't express how grateful I am to have had this help. I highly recommend SIU. I can't imagine how unprepared I would have been had I not enrolled when I did for this upcoming September test. ScoreItUp has made learning the LSAT a fun and challenging experience. Thank you Mark!

Biggiesloths

New

Postby Biggiesloths » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:57 am

I highly recommend this course. It is the best class for the price and quality. I did the class twice and it was great. It felt like I had access to a private instructor the entire time. Mark, the instructor, always took the time to answer my questions thoroughly after class or through email. So I’m rather surprised someone complained about his teaching methods... if you actually take the time to follow up with Mark (say you weren’t satisfied with an explanation in class like the other person said) you can always follow up with him after class and ask him to explain it to you another way. He’s always very patient. He understands that everyone has different ways of learning and come to the class from all different levels of skill.

As for the logic games, honestly, if you’re going to complain, you should realize that how much you improve on the LSAT is largely YOUR OWN effort. So you have to go home and do the homework in order to improve? Well of course! No LSAT class is going to magically improve your score without you putting in the work. In my opinion, your prep should be 80% self study/self preparation and 10% class instruction. You simply cannot rely on any course to take the laboring par for you.

Also, there is no “perfect” way of approaching logic games. 7Sage also says the same. What is important is that Mark teaches you how to identify patterns and important inferences that show up repeatedly..... he tells you up front that you can always do it differently.

What is important and what is particularly great about this course is Mark’s explanations. He is very precise in his words (you know you can trust the explanations) and very particular about making sure the explanations are accurate. I’ve read online explanations from other companies before and sometimes they are whack. So you know with Mark you can trust him to explain WHY the answer is correct or why certain answers are incorrect.

If you’re thinking about doing this course, you should absolutely do it. I’ve heard nightmares from other courses (ahem Kaplan). With this course, you get access to online explanations, video lessons, outlines, quizzes, even a guide on personal statements. He uses REAL LSAT questions and tests (not made up ones for homework or whatever other companies use). That is super important when you’re prepping bc you want to train yourself with the real thing. Other companies will take away your online material (or practice tests) once you’re done with the course so even when you’re done with the class, you can’t go back and see your previous practice test or answers if you haven’t saved it... not with this course. So don’t waste your time with these other prep courses. Sign up for this class early and you may get a early-bird discount!

zaim_mark

New

Postby zaim_mark » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:22 am

I don’t post much on TLS because I’ve never felt the need to do so, but some comments in this thread don’t ring true to me. ScoreItUp has been the single best investment I've made during my journey to law school. Prior to that, I had taken two different prep courses. After lots of frustration, I decided to explore other options. I wish that I had started with ScoreItUp, but better late than never.

At first, I was deeply appreciative of the fact that Mark made himself so available. Mark was very easy going and highly knowledgeable about the LSAT. The course certainly was both thorough and comprehensive, far more so than the other prep courses I took. During my time at his course I was able to gain insights into the exam that have contributed to me shooting up 13 points higher than I was AFTER taking two different national prep courses, and I am still improving.

I don’t know what caused the person writing the post claiming that ScoreItUp was “dumbed down” to be disgruntled, but I couldn’t disagree more. From their posts on another TLS thread, it sounds like he/she – like me - got a double-digit score increase after taking ScoreItUp, despite previously studying for the LSAT for months and having taken another course. I know in my case that was a direct result of Mark's teaching.

Speaking for myself and others I spoke to in my class, I really liked the way Logic Games and Logical Reasoning problems were analyzed. For example, I remember exactly how Mark handled Logic Games in class. After explaining the basics and fundamentals in early lessons, you start doing sets of problems (i.e,. individual games) in class. Mark shows you how to diagram it, explains the key “lessons” to learn from the game for future use, and typically answers every single question in the set. Then it's on to a new game with Mark providing additional insights and explanations, fully analyzing the question set, and so on. I found the course to be very well organized and structured, comprehensive, and most importantly - hugely helpful.

Mark’s analysis of LR and RC problems in class and online was equally precise and on-point. In fact, I felt that one of the many great aspects of the course was the way he answered student questions, and the insights he provided about wrong answers.

Personally, I found ScoreItUp’s in-class course to be infinitely more valuable than any online course ever could have been, even if it were offered to me for free. Having Mark as a resource both in class and out of class to bounce questions off of, to help explain concepts, and even now as a general mentor has been worth the cost of ScoreItUp’s course x100 – and I mean that literally.

I would suggest to anyone reading this thread to read ScoreItUp’s Yelp reviews – I found those reviews to be very consistent with my own personal experience in Mark’s courses and far more helpful than the anonymous posts on this site. Or sit in on one of Mark’s classes and see for yourself. That’s just my $.02 - good luck to all, and feel free to PM me for more details.

MahoganyR

New

Postby MahoganyR » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:51 am

Long-time lurker who never felt the need to register or post until now. After reading some of the other commentary I also have to put in my two cents after recently having taken Score It Up’s live course. Score It Up was by far the best experience I had with LSAT prep. I studied with various other national courses, and while I certainly have some good things to say about them, Score It Up was just better. One of the biggest problems I ran into with the others was material bloat; just having too much information; too many "tricks." After a while it seemed to take just as much cognitive effort to keep track of the tricks as it did to answer the questions. In other words, the framework being instilled to make problem-solving easier was actually making it harder; even after countless hours of methodical repetition. Mark's class struck a great balance between tool-learning and tool-using. We moved faster through areas I had previously- and needlessly- spent weeks, and slowed down in areas that made sense. E.g. In another course, spending weeks covering seemingly every possible conversion from prose to formal logic. Admittedly there's no doubt it gave me some strengths in that regard, but it came at the expense of progress in more beneficial areas to slow down and spend time with. And when one's new to all this, one has little way of knowing what to slow down on and what to move more quickly through. This is where I think Mark's course really shines; with him you have a guide who knows where you need to be and how to get there without overwhelming you. At the risk of dating myself whilst simultaneously sounding cheesy, if lsat prep is a booby trapped jungle, Mark is your Indiana Jones (lol). But really, yeah, it's kind of like that going from being overwhelmed in self study to having a strong guide helping you. For some students, an online program may work – but the big advantage I see with taking a live course with someone like Mark is having an experienced and very helpful instructor right there with you (as well as the structure it provides). Online courses just don’t do that, in my opinion. The proctored exams also are a big, big plus. With that said, I'll be the first to admit that in-person courses aren't required for HYS scores, but there also are very real and tangible advantages to an in-class course, and if you feel you’d benefit from one, I strongly recommend transitioning to an in-person course like Mark's asap. If I had done that, I probably would have knocked a year off of my prep (as embarrassing as that is to admit).

The edge Score It Up has is that you KNOW who your instructor will be. The obvious disadvantage is that you have to be in southern California to attend. It's a comprehensive course that's challenging, of that you can be certain; come on, it's the lsat. Tons of proctored practice exams, well curated problem sets, tons of class hours, tons of time spent 1 on 1 with students in the classroom after class technically ends. He brings cookies to class, keeps humor in all his lectures, brings in guest speakers, helps with law school applications, hosts mixers with his students and other law professionals, and makes himself available for questions throughout the day. Oh and that reminds me, one other thing that impressed me- he never seemed to get annoyed with students' questions; no matter how obvious it was, and not once presenting a cross look or tone. The guy has some serious patience. But that's the kind of environment he creates, one where it's okay to make mistakes and ask questions. And he always keeps his responses on the same level as the question being asked. That is to say, he doesn't speak over people. If a student has an air of uncertainty after his response, he'll simplify his terms again and again until the student gets it. Anyway, I fear I'm beginning to ramble so I'll end it here- it's a great course.

Return to “What are my chances??