Post removed. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
rn2012

New

Post removed.

Post by rn2012 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:33 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by rn2012 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: 3.0/176 - T14?

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:25 pm

GPA addendums don't really help, if you have a good excuse then you could write one, but it probably won't matter either way.

This is what you should expect

rn2012

New

Post by rn2012 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:53 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:GPA addendums don't really help, if you have a good excuse then you could write one, but it probably won't matter either way.

I've heard that mylsn doesn't really help splitters, which is what I am.

shump92

Bronze

Post by shump92 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:21 pm

rn2012 wrote:K-JD. What schools from the T-14 should I apply to? I don't want to apply to a school that I have no chance of getting into.

I do have a reason behind my lower GPA. However, I don't know if I'm going to put that in my application because I don't want it to sound like I'm making excuses. If anyone can give me advice on that, it would be greatly appreciated. :)
A GPA addendum would have to be phrased very carefully for it to have any positive impact. Typically it is only worth it if you had some notable hardship during UG. I don't think there are too many schools that can categorically be sorted as no chance for splitters. Apply at the schools you would hope to get into.

Though Y, S, Ch., and B are likely out given their preference for high GPA. If you would take sticker ED at P or V might be worth a shot to avoid YP. Or ED at NU for the tuition scholarship.

MT Cicero

Silver

Post by MT Cicero » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:28 pm

rn2012 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:GPA addendums don't really help, if you have a good excuse then you could write one, but it probably won't matter either way.

It's not that it doesn't help, it's just that the data are noticeably scant (as you can see). You could slightly outperform that graphic given that the apps are at a pretty good low right now. Mack's graph goes back to 2011 just to grab a few data points.

I had a lower GPA and LSAT than you and got in at NU, GU, UCLA. I was WL at Mich, Duke, UVA, NYU, Chi. Dinged at Penn, Berk. I also was not K-JD and had really good (bordering on great) softs, so that probably helped. I don't think an app would be wasted from NYU on down for you. Don't bank on anything, but you can get admits/dings from the opposite schools that you thought would do that. Splitters can be a little weird that way. NU's probably your best shot since they like splitters (but they also like a little WE). Also, consider spending a couple years working before applying. Your LSAT score will still be there, and you'll put a bit of distance between yourself and your GPA. Plus, as someone who had a 12-year gap between undergrad and law school, it's not like there's a clock ticking and you'll turn into a pumpkin at age 24. I had a hell of a time in between and have stories and experiences I'd never trade.

If you're dead set on this cycle, really make sure your app is polished. Get it out early (before mid-November). As Mack said, don't write a GPA addendum unless there's a really bad areas mixed among really good ones and there's an actual reason for it. I didn't write one because I was just a crappy undergrad student. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rn2012

New

Post by rn2012 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:10 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
rn2012 wrote:

It's not that it doesn't help, it's just that the data are noticeably scant (as you can see). You could slightly outperform that graphic given that the apps are at a pretty good low right now. Mack's graph goes back to 2011 just to grab a few data points.

I had a lower GPA and LSAT than you and got in at NU, GU, UCLA. I was WL at Mich, Duke, UVA, NYU, Chi. Dinged at Penn, Berk. I also was not K-JD and had really good (bordering on great) softs, so that probably helped. I don't think an app would be wasted from NYU on down for you. Don't bank on anything, but you can get admits/dings from the opposite schools that you thought would do that. Splitters can be a little weird that way. NU's probably your best shot since they like splitters (but they also like a little WE). Also, consider spending a couple years working before applying. Your LSAT score will still be there, and you'll put a bit of distance between yourself and your GPA. Plus, as someone who had a 12-year gap between undergrad and law school, it's not like there's a clock ticking and you'll turn into a pumpkin at age 24. I had a hell of a time in between and have stories and experiences I'd never trade.

If you're dead set on this cycle, really make sure your app is polished. Get it out early (before mid-November). As Mack said, don't write a GPA addendum unless there's a really bad areas mixed among really good ones and there's an actual reason for it. I didn't write one because I was just a crappy undergrad student. Good luck!

Thanks! Can I ask, how many years of WE did you have before applying to Law School? I'm definitely going to work on my application and do my best to show each school that I'm determined to be a lawyer, and that I'm not some kid who's too afraid to go into the world and get a job (I feel like that's how many law schools view K-JD applicants). I definitely think NYU is going to be my reach school. And I will apply to NU & GU as well. Although, without any WE, I don't know how NU will turn out for me.

rn2012

New

Post by rn2012 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:13 pm

shump92 wrote:
rn2012 wrote:K-JD. What schools from the T-14 should I apply to? I don't want to apply to a school that I have no chance of getting into.

I do have a reason behind my lower GPA. However, I don't know if I'm going to put that in my application because I don't want it to sound like I'm making excuses. If anyone can give me advice on that, it would be greatly appreciated. :)
A GPA addendum would have to be phrased very carefully for it to have any positive impact. Typically it is only worth it if you had some notable hardship during UG. I don't think there are too many schools that can categorically be sorted as no chance for splitters. Apply at the schools you would hope to get into.

Though Y, S, Ch., and B are likely out given their preference for high GPA. If you would take sticker ED at P or V might be worth a shot to avoid YP. Or ED at NU for the tuition scholarship.
Definitely not applying to Y, S, Chi, or B. And I'll do a bit of thinking before writing a GPA addendum. I'm going to try ED at NU, but it's not likely that I will be admitted - because of my lack of WE. I'm hoping they will defer me and either admit or WL me.

rn2012

New

Post by rn2012 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:18 pm

rn2012 wrote:
MT Cicero wrote:
rn2012 wrote:

Thanks! Can I ask, how many years of WE did you have before applying to Law School? I'm definitely going to work on my application and do my best to show each school that I'm determined to be a lawyer, and that I'm not some kid who's too afraid to go into the world and get a job (I feel like that's how many law schools view K-JD applicants). I definitely think NYU is going to be my reach school. And I will apply to NU & GU as well. Although, without any WE, I don't know how NU will turn out for me.
EDIT: Sorry, I just realized that you said that you had a 12-year gap.

Broncos15

Bronze

Post by Broncos15 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:43 am

Here's a better graph if you are interested......I had to stretch out the GPA numbers a little bit, but when you do these its better to stretch out the GPA compared to the LSAT numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rn2012

New

Post by rn2012 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:16 am

[quote="Broncos15"]Here's a better graph if you are interested......I had to stretch out the GPA numbers a little bit, but when you do these its better to stretch out the GPA compared to the LSAT numbers.

Thanks. This really helped. I see that there are some schools in the T-14 that I can and will apply to. However, to be safe, I will target some schools below the T-14 as well. Being a splitter is extremely stressful because you have no idea how your application will end up. I appreciate everyone's help!

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:30 am

Don't discount yourself on NU ED. Their 25th keeps slipping and you're far above the 75th

rn2012

New

Post removed.

Post by rn2012 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:33 pm

Post removed.

rn2012

New

Post removed.

Post removed.

rn2012

New

Post removed.

Post removed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”