Edit Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Dan0504

New

Edit

Post by Dan0504 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:48 am

(EDITED FOR DISCRETION)
Last edited by Dan0504 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Re: Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue May 26, 2015 1:13 am

Dug up an old application and these were the relevant looking questions:
2. Have you ever been charged with or convicted of any crime or offense other than a minor traffic violation? This includes any charges, complaints or citations that were filed against you as a juvenile or as an adult, formal or informal, pending or closed, dismissed, expunged, sealed or subject to a diversionary program, and includes any charges, complaints or citations that you reasonably expect to be brought against you. If so, please provide all material facts and an explanation of the circumstances.
Yes
No
Required field

3. Have you been discharged or dismissed from the armed forces, other than by honorable discharge, or sentenced in a court-martial proceeding?
Yes
No
re: #2: you have definitely been charged with an offense. I would put it here, or in a similarly worded question. Maybe work it in to #3, but by definition an article 15 is not a court-martial, so doesn't seem to fit.

Basically, this is a non-issue, just find the best place on your ap to disclose and hope for the best.

Dan0504

New

Edit

Post by Dan0504 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:16 am

Thank you, do you think any of this is grounds for 100% C&F rejection?
Last edited by Dan0504 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue May 26, 2015 1:20 am

Dan0504 wrote:Thank you, do you think any of this is grounds for 100% C&F rejection?
Nah, I think it's no big deal as long as you disclose. Write a short explanation (I was young and dumb) and you should be good.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue May 26, 2015 1:22 am

Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dan0504

New

Edit

Post by Dan0504 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:27 am

Edit
Last edited by Dan0504 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Tue May 26, 2015 1:28 am

Dan0504 wrote:Thank you, do you think any of this is grounds for 100% C&F rejection?
you'd be c/o 2019 which would put almost nine years behind your most recent offense when the bar's looking at it

i would maybe wait (a concededly arbitrary) one more year
WokeUpInACar wrote:Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.
OP, you should definitely undoubtedly retake the LSAT. You'll probably need a stronger application than most because of your past C&F issues. I also don't know about any GI Bill you may have or other means of assistance, but you'd definitely need a really large scholarship from basically only UF/FSU while being from Florida to make it worth it. I wouldn't go to any of the other schools. I do think saying that going to UF/FSU as a FL resident without a full scholarship is more detrimental than multiple C&F violations is unnecessary hyperbole.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Veteran. Is this considered a crime? Am I screwed?

Post by runinthefront » Tue May 26, 2015 1:31 am

Dan0504 wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:Taking the LSAT in June with that PT score and/or attending the schools you listed without a full scholarship would be far more detrimental to your legal career than these offenses.
The cost of attendance is not an issue for me, I just want to study law and Im prepared to go anywhere that will take me.

Also I have been doing LSAT work since April, I have improved from a 148 to a 155/157, I may add a few points in the next 2 weeks but I'm content with my preparation and PT scores.
you shouldn't be content with your PT scores

they're not good enough to be content with

even if you're gunning for FSU/UF, your past history suggests a pattern of very poor decisions and I'm sure adcomms will be hesitant to admit you without some "wow" factor in your application and unfortunately, military service just doesn't do that

You really need to retake
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dan0504

New

Post by Dan0504 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:39 am

{EDIT}
Last edited by Dan0504 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue May 26, 2015 1:41 am

runinthefront wrote:
you'd be c/o 2019 which would put almost nine years behind your most recent offense when the bar's looking at it

i would maybe wait (a concededly arbitrary) one more year
OP, you should definitely undoubtedly retake the LSAT. You'll probably need a stronger application than most because of your past C&F issues. I also don't know about any GI Bill you may have or other means of assistance, but you'd definitely need a really large scholarship from basically only UF/FSU while being from Florida to make it worth it. I wouldn't go to any of the other schools. I do think saying that going to UF/FSU as a FL resident without a full scholarship is more detrimental than multiple C&F violations is unnecessary hyperbole.
This is nonsense. He has two marijuana incidents and an acquittal for a more serious crime. Literally no actual criminal convictions as an adult. As long as he discloses this really won't be a problem. Also another year would do absolutely nothing on the C&F front.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue May 26, 2015 1:44 am

Dan0504 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
Dan0504 wrote:
The cost of attendance is not an issue for me, I just want to study law and Im prepared to go anywhere that will take me.

Also I have been doing LSAT work since April, I have improved from a 148 to a 155/157, I may add a few points in the next 2 weeks but I'm content with my preparation and PT scores.
you shouldn't be content with your PT scores

they're not good enough to be content with

even if you're gunning for FSU/UF, your past history suggests a pattern of very poor decisions and I'm sure adcomms will be hesitant to admit you without some "wow" factor in your application and unfortunately, military service just doesn't do that

You really need to retake
Thank you, I will still take June 8th for the experience, and retake in October to try and max out my score.

What do you mean by "wow factor"? I am a decorated Combat Medic, With awards for saving soldiers lives, I am in my honors program, will have a published thesis next semester, I am president of my fraternity, multiple scholarship awards, president's list, dean's list, voluntary community service, and work experience. Should I not be focusing on these attributes.

I did struggled with emotional problems in my adolescence, I made mistakes and I accept them and their consequences. However, I don't want my record from this time period to be what defines me as an applicant.
That time period won't define you as an applicant. You know what will define 50%+ of your application? Your LSAT score. Sadly, it is more important than all of those impressive soft factors you listed combined. Don't waste all the achievements you've made because you aren't willing to fully commit to this learnable test. You need to take it 3 times, and the first time should not be a planned "mulligan." You need to be absolutely prepared the first time you take it, because even if you are PTing well, shit can happen on test day.

Dan0504

New

Post by Dan0504 » Tue May 26, 2015 1:49 am

Alright, point taken. I have to be honest and admit I didn't really see myself scoring above a 165. Is everyone suggesting that a 170+ is an obtainable goal?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Tue May 26, 2015 1:52 am

Dan0504 wrote:Alright, point taken. I have to be honest and admit I didn't really see myself scoring above a 165. Is everyone suggesting that a 170+ is an obtainable goal.
There is a HUGE difference between 157 and 165. I don't think 170 is attainable for EVERYONE, but I think 165+ is attainable for most people. A month of study really isn't that much at all. I probably put legitimately 400 hours into studying for the LSAT and still don't think I completely maximized my potential.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UnicornHunter

Diamond

Post by UnicornHunter » Tue May 26, 2015 1:58 am

Dan0504 wrote:

Yeah, that's like...nothing man. Poke around this board for a bit, lots of good information out there,

Dan0504

New

Post by Dan0504 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:38 pm

{EDIT}
Last edited by Dan0504 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:18 pm

Dan0504 wrote:Well I got a 161... Should be good for most florida schools
Great attitude bro, you'll go far.

Dan0504

New

Re: Edit

Post by Dan0504 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:21 pm

edit

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Dan0504 wrote:edit
Why did you necro this two year old thread today, OP?
How are you doing? Are you in law school or still hoping to go?

Dan0504

New

Post by Dan0504 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:04 pm

stego wrote:
Doing well in law school, and enjoying my summer internship. I had just posted a little too much personal information. Trying to clean it up a bit!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:06 pm

stego wrote:
From the looks of it, currently a rising 2L at Miami doing unpaid internship at NASA. Space law ftw.

Dan0504

New

Post by Dan0504 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:18 pm

UVA2B wrote:
stego wrote:
From the looks of it, currently a rising 2L at Miami doing unpaid internship at NASA. Space law ftw.

Exactly why I should be more careful about what I put on the internet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Dan0504 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
stego wrote:

I agree, but you literally started a thread opening yourself to questions as an unpaid intern at NASA. What did you think you were providing that was unique to the average federal unpaid internship? Should I tell my roommate to start a "I'm in the DOJ Civil division, AMA!" followed by virtually zero understanding of what the agency does and why he can't provide insight into becoming an attorney working for the DOJ? I understand you protecting your image (poorly, since there was pretty excessive quoting in your choosing thread, but I won't challenge that), but you created an entire thread based on having literally a month of being an intern as an unpaid internship. If you don't realize you're valueless and not able to answer questions, no one can help you.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:38 pm

UVA2B wrote:I agree, but you literally started a thread opening yourself to questions as an unpaid intern at NASA. What did you think you were providing that was unique to the average federal unpaid internship? Should I tell my roommate to start a "I'm in the DOJ Civil division, AMA!" followed by virtually zero understanding of what the agency does and why he can't provide insight into becoming an attorney working for the DOJ? I understand you protecting your image (poorly, since there was pretty excessive quoting in your choosing thread, but I won't challenge that), but you created an entire thread based on having literally a month of being an intern as an unpaid internship. If you don't realize you're valueless and not able to answer questions, no one can help you.
This seemed kind of weirdly mean given that he did answer the questions that were actually asked of him in that thread. Did we need a thread on working an unpaid summer legal internship at NASA? No, but it's not like I wasted a long time reading it.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 pm

stego wrote:
UVA2B wrote:I agree, but you literally started a thread opening yourself to questions as an unpaid intern at NASA. What did you think you were providing that was unique to the average federal unpaid internship? Should I tell my roommate to start a "I'm in the DOJ Civil division, AMA!" followed by virtually zero understanding of what the agency does and why he can't provide insight into becoming an attorney working for the DOJ? I understand you protecting your image (poorly, since there was pretty excessive quoting in your choosing thread, but I won't challenge that), but you created an entire thread based on having literally a month of being an intern as an unpaid internship. If you don't realize you're valueless and not able to answer questions, no one can help you.
This seemed kind of weirdly mean given that he did answer the questions that were actually asked of him in that thread. Did we need a thread on working an unpaid summer legal internship at NASA? No, but it's not like I wasted a long time reading it.
Yeah, it was probably a bit harsh.

I'm sorry Dan, I'll give you the opportunity to be better at this in the future.

Dan0504

New

Post by Dan0504 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:43 am

UVA2B wrote:
Dan0504 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
stego wrote:

I agree, but you literally started a thread opening yourself to questions as an unpaid intern at NASA. What did you think you were providing that was unique to the average federal unpaid internship? Should I tell my roommate to start a "I'm in the DOJ Civil division, AMA!" followed by virtually zero understanding of what the agency does and why he can't provide insight into becoming an attorney working for the DOJ? I understand you protecting your image (poorly, since there was pretty excessive quoting in your choosing thread, but I won't challenge that), but you created an entire thread based on having literally a month of being an intern as an unpaid internship. If you don't realize you're valueless and not able to answer questions, no one can help you.
dude I was only referencing my C&F post from 2 years ago...

[FYI] I used to come to forums like this and spend hours reading about what certain legal jobs were like, and ask silly questions about being a lawyer. Is that not the whole point of this forum anyways? My only intention was to share what little I know with others who have similar questions or may also aspire to be a lawyer one day. Life is about learning from your mistakes, and helping others grow. Chastising random people on the internet serves no one. I am not remotely embarrassed about posting my internship, and I'm proud of what I have accomplished in my life. The only thing I actually regret is thinking that a law school would care about a minor mistake I made 10 years ago and posting about it... :roll:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”