3.5/160 should I give UW a shot? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Alembic_of_Man

New

3.5/160 should I give UW a shot?

Post by Alembic_of_Man » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:20 pm

I've taken the LSAT twice - 155 the first time and 160 the second time. I understand this is not ideal.
The first time I was working near full time and - because of our lovely quarter system - the LSAT fell during finals.
The second time I had literally - literally - just flew in from Washington DC after an intensive 10 week internship.

I graduated with a 3.5 but packed in each quarter to the limit (and then some at times) while, as I said previously, working almost full time.

I have a long track record of volunteering and work experience, and am currently employed as well.

And last but not least, there's a chance I could qualify as a URM - even though I'm a white guy, but I'm a homosexual who has had leadership experience in the past in LGBT school groups.

Getting into the University of Washington is a dream of mine, but I know it's a stretch due to my numbers. I know if I do apply I'll need to write an addendum for my poor numbers.

I've got two questions:

1) Should I even apply?
2) Should I wait until around January to apply - in the mean time doing more community service and volunteer work to boost my application. Or should I get the application in by November 15th to try for early decision?

If I get a big fat "nay" I wouldn't be downtrodden. Seattle University is a good school as well and has that Alaska link - a bit of opportunity there, I'm sure.

Thank you for responding!

Johann

Diamond

Re: 3.5/160 should I give UW a shot?

Post by Johann » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:22 pm

where do you work now? how much do you make? why do you want to leave it?

Alembic_of_Man

New

Post by Alembic_of_Man » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm a full time gate agent for a regional airline, I make 11.88 an hour and my passion is in law. In fact, working with airlines in a legal capacity would be a really exciting venture, I believe.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:36 pm

Retake.

Sounds like you're pretty confident that you didn't do as well as you possibly could. Study like hell and retake.

Kratos

Platinum

Post by Kratos » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Retake is the answer. Sounds like you have a very set region your interested in. With that in mind you should be shooting for UW with as little debt as possible. Which, of course, makes retaking imperative.

Also, how do you know your "passion is in the law"? Like have you ever worked in the field?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:43 pm

Give the LSAT a shot before trying your hand with UW. And since you've already taken it twice, don't retake until PT'ing in the high 160s.

Alembic_of_Man

New

Post by Alembic_of_Man » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:48 pm

I was afraid that would be the answer - I was worried a 2nd retake would not look too sharp on an application, I've heard around that you should only do it twice.

I have a passion for law the same as anyone here - I'm interested in aviation law, environmental law, health law. I've worked as a technical writer for a start up company (recent legislation has opened up a new market here in Washington state... :) ) and I assisted drafting a business plan after researching the crazy legal red tape and then consulting my client on how to proceed.

It's not a passing fancy. I've also been talking with my current company about working in their legal department - I just need the JD first.

I do appreciate all the advice from you guys. I'm taking it from your responses that writing an addendum for lower scores is probably not quite that helpful at all?

Out of curiosity - what would you say are my chances right now for UW?

transferror

Silver

Post by transferror » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Being admitted isn't the problem - it's being in a position where attending makes sense, and that only happens if you get a full ride (2/3 at the very least), which is out of the question with your current numbers.

Bigfish41

Bronze

Post by Bigfish41 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Alembic_of_Man wrote:I was afraid that would be the answer - I was worried a 2nd retake would not look too sharp on an application, I've heard around that you should only do it twice.
You should take it as many times to get a 170+. There are many people on this board who've taken it 3+. Doesn't hurt your chances, only highest score gets reported. Don't let that gpa go to waste man!
Alembic_of_Man wrote: what are my chances right now for UW?
http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/washu/

You should be thinking about the chances of being employed after LS, which doesn't look too bright from WU

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Alembic_of_Man

New

Post by Alembic_of_Man » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:16 pm

Good to know, I'll seriously consider doing this.

But aw shucks, I thought being gay would help me slide past the competition :P

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:23 pm

Washington isn't a good school. It's just an average state school. :roll:

Alembic_of_Man

New

Post by Alembic_of_Man » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:39 pm

DaRascal wrote:Washington isn't a good school. It's just an average state school. :roll:
University of Washington is a T30 - but even beyond that, it's around Microsoft, Amazon, Nintendo, Alaska Air Group, Weyerhaeuser, Starbucks...I wouldn't write off the location!

Not to be argumentative (though I suppose this would be the environment), but I just felt I should defend the school :)

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:42 pm

Bigfish41 wrote:
Alembic_of_Man wrote:I was afraid that would be the answer - I was worried a 2nd retake would not look too sharp on an application, I've heard around that you should only do it twice.
You should take it as many times to get a 170+. There are many people on this board who've taken it 3+. Doesn't hurt your chances, only highest score gets reported. Don't let that gpa go to waste man!
Alembic_of_Man wrote: what are my chances right now for UW?

You should be thinking about the chances of being employed after LS, which doesn't look too bright from WU
op is talking about university of washington
you linked to wustl, different school

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:47 pm

Alembic_of_Man wrote:
DaRascal wrote:Washington isn't a good school. It's just an average state school. :roll:
University of Washington is a T30 - but even beyond that, it's around Microsoft, Amazon, Nintendo, Alaska Air Group, Weyerhaeuser, Starbucks...I wouldn't write off the location!

Not to be argumentative (though I suppose this would be the environment), but I just felt I should defend the school :)
rankings are absolutely meaningless as an indicator of post-graduate employment
but i will say that uw is an okay school
provided you want to work in a small PNW firm, AND
(a) you get a full ride, or
(b) you have someone paying your way, or
(c) you can live at home with zero cost of living, you get instate tuition and you get at least a half ride

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Alembic_of_Man wrote:I've taken the LSAT twice - 155 the first time and 160 the second time. I understand this is not ideal.
The first time I was working near full time and - because of our lovely quarter system - the LSAT fell during finals.
Did you go to UW?

You should know it doesn't seem like they give boosts to people who went to the UG if you were banking on that.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Brut wrote:
Alembic_of_Man wrote:

rankings are absolutely meaningless as an indicator of post-graduate employment
but i will say that uw is an okay school
provided you want to work in a small PNW firm, AND
(a) you get a full ride, or
(b) you have someone paying your way, or
(c) you can live at home with zero cost of living, you get instate tuition and you get at least a half ride
UW doesn't have or give much money. I don't even think they give half rides.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:14 pm

ya, looks like they're pretty stingy based on the 509s
they give out some $$$ tho, ~5% half to full, ~3% full+stipend
but obv op shouldn't bank on that

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Brut wrote:ya, looks like they're pretty stingy based on the 509s
they give out some $$$ tho, ~5% half to full, ~3% full+stipend
but obv op shouldn't bank on that
http://www.law.washington.edu/gatesscholar/about.aspx

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:20 pm

that only explains full+stipend tho, not half to full

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Bigfish41 wrote:

Wrong Washington.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:45 pm

Alembic_of_Man wrote:I'm a full time gate agent for a regional airline, I make 11.88 an hour and my passion is in law. In fact, working with airlines in a legal capacity would be a really exciting venture, I believe.
AIrlines won't hire you until you have had 5+ years of Big Law experience. Consequently, you need to retake and attend a T14 or apply to a Full-Time job at the corporate headquarters of an airline (you can work in revenue management) and then after 2 or 3 years there, I apply to a part time school and go part time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Alembic_of_Man

New

Post by Alembic_of_Man » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Kimikho wrote:
Alembic_of_Man wrote:I've taken the LSAT twice - 155 the first time and 160 the second time. I understand this is not ideal.
Did you go to UW?

You should know it doesn't seem like they give boosts to people who went to the UG if you were banking on that.
I didn't - I went to Western Washington University.
sparty99 wrote:
Alembic_of_Man wrote:I'm a full time gate agent for a regional airline, I make 11.88 an hour and my passion is in law. In fact, working with airlines in a legal capacity would be a really exciting venture, I believe.
AIrlines won't hire you until you have had 5+ years of Big Law experience. Consequently, you need to retake and attend a T14 or apply to a Full-Time job at the corporate headquarters of an airline (you can work in revenue management) and then after 2 or 3 years there, I apply to a part time school and go part time.
This is a small regional airline I am looking to work for. Small enough that I'm buddy-buddy with our up-n-ups. Luckily, we're also strongly partnered with a much larger airline, so they say our company is just a kind of a foot-in-the-door for that larger one. But thank you for the heads up - I'll keep that in mind!

bl1nds1ght

Bronze

Post by bl1nds1ght » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:46 pm

UW is okay (20% gross unemployment with practically no biglaw of which to speak), but I would never, ever go there at sticker. The likelihood of you being able to pay off $250k+ in debt from the UW is just not good. Also, Seattle U is not a good school. It's got ~40% gross unemployment after 9 months and has even less biglaw placement than UW. Only attend SU for free or close to it and try to at least get money to UW if admitted.

Employment stats are here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/lawschoolstats/ ... sults_all/

If you have a written contract from your employer telling you that they will hire you on after you acquire that JD, I would just go to SU with as much money as humanly possible (so retake to get that fully + stipend).

Otherwise, retake that 160 and get something like a 168+ and go to the T14 with money. Additional volunteer experience is not going to meaningfully affect your admission chances. Law schools give zero fucks about that shit when compared to your GPA/LSAT.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Alembic_of_Man wrote:
Kimikho wrote:
Did you go to UW?

I didn't - I went to Western Washington University.
sparty99 wrote:
This is a small regional airline I am looking to work for. Small enough that I'm buddy-buddy with our up-n-ups. Luckily, we're also strongly partnered with a much larger airline, so they say our company is just a kind of a foot-in-the-door for that larger one. But thank you for the heads up - I'll keep that in mind!
I thought Horizon was transferring everything to Alaska eventually?
Or did I read the back flap of the Alaska Air magazine incorrectly.

Alembic_of_Man

New

Post by Alembic_of_Man » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:51 pm

Kimikho wrote:
I thought Horizon was transferring everything to Alaska eventually?
Or did I read the back flap of the Alaska Air magazine incorrectly.
We're "partners" under the "Alaska Air Group" parent company. We're in an interesting position where we were kinda-sorta bought out, but still retain a lot of autonomy in terms of employment, standards, and other things. We weren't absorbed like Northwest.

I think I might be able to get - if not a secured - a highly favorable recommendation for my company's legal department. Like I said before, we're small enough that we all get to know each other, plus it's highly, highly encouraged for people working at the bottom to strive toward higher positions. We're big-time on hiring within the company before we reach out to others.

So, you're right that if a JD is all I need, Seattle University might be an even better prospect as it's easier to get in and cheaper. But I'll be working toward both - why not, right?

-

But I do have ooooone more inquiry - or, a confirmation at best:
bl1nds1ght wrote: Additional volunteer experience is not going to meaningfully affect your admission chances. Law schools give zero fucks about that shit when compared to your GPA/LSAT.
I mean, let's say I applied to UW and I had a 3.5/160 - and someone else had the same score but volunteered weekly with the Washington State Historical Society or something - and there was one spot left, chances are the other guy would get selected, correct? And if that were the case, wouldn't it be extremely important that you did get involved in civic activities so as to win any potential tie-breaker?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”