173 LSAT, MA URM - huge GPA problem/expelled Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cinephile

Gold

Re: 173 LSAT, MA URM - huge GPA problem/expelled

Post by cinephile » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Every single man I've known who has dated a crazy girl, has been equally crazy himself.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:40 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:
Take responsibility. You were expelled and rightfully received F's. I'm not saying the expulsion was justified but the F's are. And the two F's from community college are going to remain F's. I'm pretty sure a fail counts as 0 credits for however many units it was for anyways. Ed to NU bro.
How were the F's "justified"?

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:07 am

cinephile wrote:Every single man I've known who has dated a crazy girl, has been equally crazy himself.
100% this. Rational people very rarely date psychotic people.

Try to retroactively withdraw from those classes. Spot crazies and stop dating them.

/thread

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:49 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
cinephile wrote:Every single man I've known who has dated a crazy girl, has been equally crazy himself.
anyone can make a mistake and it's not always apparent who's crazy until after you've fucked them

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:54 am

OP, get certified copies of all of the confessions and explain to each school that you are applying to that "upon request a copy of the confessions will be provided, or something of the sort." If schools want to see them, then they will, and they can draw their own conclusions( eiher in you favor or not in your favor). Since it appears that you havent graduated yet, do everything in your power to keep the grades up=- since you still have time to potentially get your gpa above teh 3.0 line.

and dingbat's response is TCR.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tlsanony

New

Post by tlsanony » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:19 pm

thanks for the replies. some good feedback.

my last request is for any advice on who to contact or which department to contact... office of the provost?
i know it was the dean of students, who handled my case in the past, so i am hesitant to contact that department...
any thoughts about who/where to start with would be appreciated.

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:16 am

twentypercentmore wrote:Anyone saying "ED to NU" needs to realize that EDing to NU is super competitive, because it comes with a full-ride scholarship.

TCR is ED UVA.

<3
Plus OP is k-jd... Berk you ignorant slut

bob loblaw11

Bronze

Post by bob loblaw11 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:23 pm

This thread is starting to veer dangerously toward sexism.

Also, Manti Te'o was a man talking to another man. So easy on using that as an example of "crazy women." :roll:

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:10 pm

BerkeleyBear wrote:I'm not a shitboomer. LULZ. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the youngest on this thread. And when someone states they "thought" they withdrew and received F's, was that not their responsibility? Stop making this about the ex-gf. Maybe she's the craziest person in the world, who cares? I must say though, if OP knew his SO was crazy, why would he break up with her on her birthday?

OP got a 173 LSAT, so he's not an idiot. The fact remains, the "kangaroo court" expelled OP for no valid reason, knowing that the girl lied. We obviously don't know all the facts. And even if this was all there is to know, that'd lead me to believe there's no way they would change his F's. I'm not saying a school won't expel a kid for no reason because it can happen. But I'd say that's obviously not very common and unlikely. OP should've handled this the week after his charges were dropped.
I don't think your response was so far off. Even though school disciplinary hearings are a joke, it is rare to be flat out expelled rather than suspended or put on probation.....not to mention if OP really got them an admission from the ex stating that she made the story up, that should've weighed heavily in favor of a lighter punishment than expulsion even if they, for some reason, decided he still needed to be punished. Sorry, OP. It sounds like there is more of a backstory.

I assume if you haven't graduated yet that you are at least getting straight As for the rest of the time (I have to say that regardless of the Fs a 3.3 is a pretty law GPA if you aren't in science/engineering)? You could consider drawing your education out or taking extra heavy loads to inch it up. Even if you get those Fs removed, you're still going to be below the 25th percentile at all schools worth attending. Is there something that makes you think that there is a 3.0 floor for URMs? Generally T14s do seem to prefer URMs with high GPAs than with high LSATs. But I'm not sure that 2.75 v. 3.0 makes much difference. I still think you'd have a good shot at some T14 schools as a 173/2.75 MA male. I'm not sure about Mich specifically.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:29 pm

dingbat wrote: anyone can make a mistake and it's not always apparent who's crazy...
This, so much this. Usually the crazy people are the ones you least expect to be crazy. Also, OP is Mexican URM, doesn't that weigh in his favor considerably? I myself am URM (African American), and people here keep telling me that the odds are ever in my favor. I don't mean to hijack this thread, I also don't mean to jettison OP's question; I just want to know if Mexicans get the same or close to the same boost as AA.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
dingbat wrote: anyone can make a mistake and it's not always apparent who's crazy...
This, so much this. Usually the crazy people are the ones you least expect to be crazy. Also, OP is Mexican URM, doesn't that weigh in his favor considerably? I myself am URM (African American), and people here keep telling me that the odds are ever in my favor. I don't mean to hijack this thread, I also don't mean to jettison OP's question; I just want to know if Mexicans get the same or close to the same boost as AA.
MA doesn't give as much of a boost as AA

tlsanony

New

Post by tlsanony » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:49 pm

AA: +8
MA: +6

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53 pm

tlsanony wrote:AA: +8
That's pretty close.

OP: I would first go to the Provost office and tell them about your situation. If you fail try the Dean of Students.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:02 am

This doesn't quite tell the whole story. MA boost is significantly smaller than AA boost because of how many less AA's there are with qualified numbers than there are MA/Hispanic/PR.

So +6/+8 doesn't actually mean anything in terms of preference in admissions in relation to GPA and LSAT boost. The boosts are very difficult to quantify but it's more useful to see it in terms of qualified applicants in relation to the school in question rather than just a universal boost.

For example, you want to go to Penn but Penn and UVA have a very miniscule URM boost, especially in comparison to Harvard. An AA with your numbers Dre is more likely to get into higher ranked NYU, Chicago, and Harvard than lower ranked but lower URM boosted UVA, Penn, and Berkeley.

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:16 am

OP,

1. Highly suggest, hire an atty.
2. Appeal the case with your school.

The minute the school receives your atty letter, your situation will go to the school's general counsel and they will handle.

I highly suggest to not fight this issue alone. The school will just ignore you. I had a tuition dispute and the school ignored me. The place an additional $2000 balance on my student account after I already graduated and received my diploma (because I was at $0.00). When I needed my transcripts to apply to law school they turned dirty and sketch. I hired an attorney, I did not pay the full amount the said, but it was worth paying the few hundred for the attorney to pay less and shut the issue down for good and get my transcripts.

tlsanony

New

Post by tlsanony » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:31 am

DRE - MYLSN quant boost spreadsheet is the closest you're gonna get to the whole story when trying to speculate what kinda boost you may get from each of the T14 as AA. I think he last updated it in Novem.
http://www.mylsn.info/boosts.xlsx
Legacy Rabbit wrote:OP,

1. Highly suggest, hire an atty.
2. Appeal the case with your school.

The minute the school receives your atty letter, your situation will go to the school's general counsel and they will handle.

I highly suggest to not fight this issue alone. The school will just ignore you. I had a tuition dispute and the school ignored me. The place an additional $2000 balance on my student account after I already graduated and received my diploma (because I was at $0.00). When I needed my transcripts to apply to law school they turned dirty and sketch. I hired an attorney, I did not pay the full amount the said, but it was worth paying the few hundred for the attorney to pay less and shut the issue down for good and get my transcripts.
thx for the advice. i think im gonna try sending one letter on my own to the dean who handled my case later this week...and if i dont get a response before March, i'll def go the attorney route. once you got your attorney involved, how long before the tuition dispute was resolved? curious how long they dragged it on. and did your lawyer have previous experience dealing with education systems/that university?

throw-away-soon

New

Post by throw-away-soon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Did the school adhere to its disciplinary procedures during you're hearing? If they violated it that's could be grounds for a reversal of your dismissal and a new hearing z

I also hate when women make up accusations like that. That sucks, sorry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:36 pm

Wormfather wrote:
dingbat wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
anyone can make a mistake and it's not always apparent who's crazy until after you've fucked them
This. I've seen so many good guys end up with a girl who's cray. Typically once they find out they have no idea what to do because breaking up with crazies have consequences.
The crazy girl is the desperate clingy girls.

RULES TO PREVENT THE CRAZIES
1. Do not date a girl with children. Any male who read this forum should never date a woman with a child. You are a kid yourself.
2. Where the girl lives. If a girl does not have a place of her own. TROUBLE. However if the girl lives with her family and works and/or goes to school she is a possible keeper, but only if the aforementioned conditions are met.
3. If a girl is not in school and she is in her 20s find out why. REALLY FIND OUT WHY. Do not brush aside any girl who is under the age of 30 and does not have an undergrad degree or at least working towards it.
4. Any girl who demands anything from you except that you stay fresh and clean (hygiene). CRAY! If you are not married to her, She should not demand anything from you except hygiene. (However, during quiet couple time, this rule may be bent for all parties satisfaction).
5. Girls who are overly friendly and love to meet everyone and party with everyone are trouble. That nonsense may work in high school, but after the junior year of college it is time to calm down as a woman. Girls who appear shy or even bitchy are better girls to get to know. It is always better for a woman to have a bit of mystery about herself. If a female is loud, always posting on FB, twitter, Instagram all that dumb shit, run away.
6. Always remember a girl should WANT you, not NEED you.
Last edited by Legacy Rabbit on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:37 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
This doesn't quite tell the whole story. MA boost is significantly smaller than AA boost because of how many less AA's there are with qualified numbers than there are MA/Hispanic/PR.

So +6/+8 doesn't actually mean anything in terms of preference in admissions in relation to GPA and LSAT boost. The boosts are very difficult to quantify but it's more useful to see it in terms of qualified applicants in relation to the school in question rather than just a universal boost.

For example, you want to go to Penn but Penn and UVA have a very miniscule URM boost, especially in comparison to Harvard. An AA with your numbers Dre is more likely to get into higher ranked NYU, Chicago, and Harvard than lower ranked but lower URM boosted UVA, Penn, and Berkeley.
Actually objective boost estimates do tell the whole story.

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Post by Sugar Lumps » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:RULES TO PREVENT THE CRAZIES
1. Do not date a girl with children. Any male who read this forum should never date a woman with a child. You are a kid yourself.
2. Where the girl lives. If a girl does not have a place of her own. TROUBLE. However if the girl lives with her family and works and/or goes to school she is a possible keeper, but only if the aforementioned conditions are met.
3. If a girl is not in school and she is in her 20s find out why. REALLY FIND OUT WHY. Do not brush aside any girl who is under the age of 30 and does not have an undergrad degree or at least working towards it.
4. Any girl who demands anything from you except that you stay fresh and clean (hygiene). CRAY! If you are not married to her, She should not demand anything from you except hygiene. (However, during quiet couple time, this rule may be bent for all parties satisfaction).
5. Girls who are overly friendly and love to meet everyone and party with everyone are trouble. That nonsense may work in high school, but after the junior year of college it is time to calm down as a woman. Girls who appear shy or even bitchy are better girls to get to know. It is always better for a woman to have a bit of mystery about herself. If a female is loud, always posting on FB, twitter, Instagram all that dumb shit, run away.
Man. I should stop loving to meet people. THANKS, DUDE.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:50 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:The crazy girl is the desperate clingy girls.

Wow bro. What would I do without you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:53 pm

The crazy girl is the desperate clingy girls.

Most of this is pretentious bull and should be disregarded. You might be a horrible person.
Mad 'cause I called you out. Which number are you?

Sugar Lumps

Silver

Post by Sugar Lumps » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:Mad 'cause I called you out. Which number are you?
He's a married dude packing a huge dong.

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:02 pm

Sugar Lumps wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:RULES TO PREVENT THE CRAZIES
Man. I should stop loving to meet people. THANKS, DUDE.
Meet people, that is networking. I am referring to those girls who are always partying, they are loud, and sloppy. A good girl will first observe her surroundings and then engage. Plus, hardcore non-stop partying, clubbing, hitting the bars is a recipe for disaster. What good man wants that. Crazy girlfriend calling you at 2am to come pick her up at a party that she conveniently did not tell you about, not good.

Legacy Rabbit

Bronze

Post by Legacy Rabbit » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Sugar Lumps wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:Mad 'cause I called you out. Which number are you?
He's a married dude packing a huge dong.
If that is the case, the list does not apply to him. He has his wife. My list is for the single unmarried guy in his 20s.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”