myLSN.info Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Re: myLSN.info

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:43 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Awesome job on the site!

I have a suggestion, though. If possible, you should display at least the LSAT/GPA for which the chart is displaying results for two reasons. 1) If you are messing around with different combinations, you can see the last one you plugged in. If you are trying 10 different combinations in a row, its not always easy to remember exactly what you are looking at. 2) I've noticed a few people have linked to specific profiles on the site, and without being able to view the LSAT/GPA combo, the people who were linked there don't know exactly what they're looking at.
Great idea, it should be working now :)

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:24 am

Wow great site!!

Question: does this differentiate between ED applicants and RD?

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:33 am

Fantastic resource, thank you!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:37 am

Beat part is it works on iPhones (LSNs does not since it's flash based)

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:51 am

senorhosh wrote:Wow great site!!

Question: does this differentiate between ED applicants and RD?
Good idea - you should now be able to select to see only ED applications.

But this, again, relies on entirely user reported data.

Some people put that they applied ED to Yale, Stanford, and Harvard... though, to my knowledge, these schools don't offer such programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:10 pm

What years would you guys recommend searching? I know at some point LSAT/GPA medians were radically lower, so how far back can you go before you get obsolete data?

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Yukos wrote:What years would you guys recommend searching? I know at some point LSAT/GPA medians were radically lower, so how far back can you go before you get obsolete data?
http://www.lsac.org/lsacresources/Data/ ... stered.asp

Take a look at this. Maybe paradoxically the three least relevant years could be 08-09 through last year because the number of applicants was so inflated. It might make sense to go further back to get the more applicable cycles.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:25 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
Yukos wrote:What years would you guys recommend searching? I know at some point LSAT/GPA medians were radically lower, so how far back can you go before you get obsolete data?

Take a look at this. Maybe paradoxically the three least relevant years could be 08-09 through last year because the number of applicants was so inflated. It might make sense to go further back to get the more applicable cycles.
God I hope that's true...

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:27 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:

See, that's what I was thinking too.

But if I just select the most recent cycle, my chances decrease significantly everywhere at Michigan, Duke, and Northwestern.

I'm wondering if that will change, though, as waitlists continue to move.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:47 pm

Compare my numbers 2003-2012 to my numbers 2011-2012.

Obviously the sample size for the latter is much smaller, of course. And I suppose there are less dings, and a lot more waitlists.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:57 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:Compare my numbers 2003-2012 to my numbers 2011-2012.

Obviously the sample size for the latter is much smaller, of course. And I suppose there are less dings, and a lot more waitlists.
Staying with your stats, 2011/12 is a bloodbath compared to 06/07+07/08+08/09 (http://www.mylsn.info/dispresults.php) (I chose those years because they had application numbers close to 2011/12). Apps should fall further this year, but it still looks like we're closer to 10/11 than 07/08.

soccer88

Bronze

Post by soccer88 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Is there any way that your program could also spit out the medians of LSN users for each school....I've always thought it would be useful to run a comparative analysis of LSN's medians compared to those released by the school

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 pm

soccer88 wrote:Is there any way that your program could also spit out the medians of LSN users for each school....I've always thought it would be useful to run a comparative analysis of LSN's medians compared to those released by the school
I actually made a report related to that, which was published on LSAT blog yesterday.

You can check out the post here: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/la ... .html#more

and the graph here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwfr5qu ... edit?pli=1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soccer88

Bronze

Post by soccer88 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:15 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
soccer88 wrote:Is there any way that your program could also spit out the medians of LSN users for each school....I've always thought it would be useful to run a comparative analysis of LSN's medians compared to those released by the school
I actually made a report related to that, which was published on LSAT blog yesterday.

You can check out the post here: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/la ... .html#more

This is great, thanks. More or less what I expected

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:20 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

So to clarify: you say Yale's LSAT median will fall one point. That means, according to your chart, it will fall to 173?

I ask because according to USNews (which I believe has the official medians since they need real results for the rankings) Yale's medians last year were 173. A one point drop would obviously bring that down to 172, but I guess your chart means "one point drop relative to the previously estimated LSN median."

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:25 pm

Yukos wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

So to clarify: you say Yale's LSAT median will fall one point. That means, according to your chart, it will fall to 173?

I ask because according to USNews (which I believe has the official medians since they need real results for the rankings) Yale's medians last year were 173. A one point drop would obviously bring that down to 172, but I guess your chart means "one point drop relative to the previously estimated LSN median."
Yea, 100% based on LSN, so no guarantees about any correlation with the actual numbers.

If you look at a lot of the numbers, they're VERY different from the reported values (almost all higher, I think).

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:32 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
Yukos wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

Yea, 100% based on LSN, so no guarantees about any correlation with the actual numbers.

If you look at a lot of the numbers, they're VERY different from the reported values (almost all higher, I think).
Copy, thanks. Hoping the real medians follow this trend, even if the exact numbers are different...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LargeNinCharge

New

Post by LargeNinCharge » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:05 pm

Yo dawg, for real, you are the man/woman. This is awesome, many thanks.

I'm gonna spread the word around my UG to try and get you some ad revenue.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:28 am

LargeNinCharge wrote:Yo dawg, for real, you are the man/woman. This is awesome, many thanks.

Thank you! I need to get ads first, though :/ Google adsense says that I don't have enough content.

Speaking of content... I just added these graphs that are, IMO, a fun way to visualize the data. If you go to the main page you can click on the link to graphs, then click on a school and it will show you the graph. You can hover over a part of the graph and it will tell you the associated LSAT/GPA numbers and the percentage of people accepted. I'll make this adjustable soon, so you can restrict it to early apps, different years, etc.

Check out UVA, for example. YP like a mofo.

Edit: note that if I had testing phases on the website, this would still be "beta testing". As in, these graphs could be broken in countless ways. But I don't think they are...

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
LargeNinCharge wrote:Yo dawg, for real, you are the man/woman. This is awesome, many thanks.

Thank you! I need to get ads first, though :/ Google adsense says that I don't have enough content.

Speaking of content... I just added these graphs that are, IMO, a fun way to visualize the data. If you go to the main page you can click on the link to graphs, then click on a school and it will show you the graph. You can hover over a part of the graph and it will tell you the associated LSAT/GPA numbers and the percentage of people accepted. I'll make this adjustable soon, so you can restrict it to early apps, different years, etc.

Edit: note that if I had testing phases on the website, this would still be "beta testing". As in, these graphs could be broken in countless ways. But I don't think they are...
I don't really understand the graphs. Maybe because I'm on an iPad?

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:36 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:

I don't really understand the graphs. Maybe because I'm on an iPad?
Oh, yeah, I'd think they'd be hard to use on an iPad. The general idea is that the graph displays the percentage of applicants that got into any school with a given LSAT and GPA since 2007.

It would be weird on an iPad because you navigate the graphs (know where LSAT and GPA ranges are) by hovering over different areas. That is, when you hover over an area, there's a text field at the bottom that tells you what LSAT and GPA score and acceptance rate that area is associated with.

It's kinda hard to explain. Maybe check out out next time you're on a computer?

And I'll try to think of a way to get it to work on iPads and iPods and whatnot...

Edit: Okay, I made it so you can plot a point on the graph. So, if you enter your LSAT and GPA, it will make a point blue, and you can see where you are relative to other points. But I still think the whole concept works better on a computer...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:16 am

OK I feel dumb but where's the link. I checked the landing page, the input data page and the output page and can't find any new links :/

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:18 am

Yukos wrote:OK I feel dumb but where's the link. I checked the landing page, the input data page and the output page and can't find any new links :/
It could be that you need to clear your cache.

But here's a direct link: --LinkRemoved--

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
Yukos wrote:OK I feel dumb but where's the link. I checked the landing page, the input data page and the output page and can't find any new links :/
It could be that you need to clear your cache.

But here's a direct link: --LinkRemoved--
They look great. I think the reason I wasn't following them at first was because the two I first looked at we're Yale (blakbox) and UVA (YP kings) so no trends were readily apparent.

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:33 am

Yep got it now. I think this is really cool.

1) It instantly demonstrates how black boxy admissions at a certain school is. Compare Stanford's graph with Harvard's and it's immediately obvious that Harvard is much more numbers based.

2) It's a lot easier to debate retaking with this chart. I can immediately see what benefit a 1, 2, 5 point increase would have on my chances.

3) It reminds me that sometimes the sample size is really small, and I shouldn't take LSN as gospel. My chances at a school dropped 10% (theoretically) if I increased my LSAT 2 points...

4) Most of the charts remind me of a map of the Russian Empire, maybe with a little Western Europe thrown in. I think that means I'm a nerd.

Thanks again!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”