myLSN.info Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mvonh001

Silver

Re: myLSN.info

Post by mvonh001 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:22 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:As has been suggested, it will now display the chances as long as the sample size is greater than one and there is a sufficient confidence level.

The confidence is determined by a combination of: sample size and how much/whether the LSAT and GPA range need to be expanded in order to get a sufficient sample (which I changed to 7), extremeness of the percentage accepted, how well the results agree with (or conflict with) other ranges (for example, if a number has a low acceptance rate and applicants with better numbers also have low acceptance rates, this will increase the confidence of the unlikely prediction; if a number range has a low acceptance rate but people with lower numbers have a high acceptance rate this will lower the confidence).

Thanks again for the input. Any more input is definitely welcome :)
Ehh... its not working for me. I get no bars, and it still does the +++ for confidence thing.

And now it is saying insufficient confidence.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:27 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:As has been suggested, it will now display the chances as long as the sample size is greater than one and there is a sufficient confidence level.

The confidence is determined by a combination of: sample size and how much/whether the LSAT and GPA range need to be expanded in order to get a sufficient sample (which I changed to 7), extremeness of the percentage accepted, how well the results agree with (or conflict with) other ranges (for example, if a number has a low acceptance rate and applicants with better numbers also have low acceptance rates, this will increase the confidence of the unlikely prediction; if a number range has a low acceptance rate but people with lower numbers have a high acceptance rate this will lower the confidence).

Ehh... its not working for me. I get no bars, and it still does the +++ for confidence thing.

What numbers/URM/ED are you using? If you have gmail/gchat you can message me at robert.rankin.jr@gmail.com (and I didn't replace the +'s yet, but I shall :) )

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:30 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:

What numbers/URM/ED are you using? If you have gmail/gchat you can message me at robert.rankin.jr@gmail.com (and I didn't replace the +'s yet, but I shall :) )
170/3.31/ ED/ nonurm

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:42 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:

170/3.31/ ED/ nonurm
Just applied a change that should help... now, in addition to increasing the LSAT and GPA range, it will increase the cycles used, if necessary to reach a sufficient sample size.

Something I do want to look at more, though. This is far from production use, as I'm sure you can tell :)

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:46 am

Damn "mychances" is spot on, at least for me. Rejected from all "extremely unlikely," in at all likely/extremely likely, WL'd at all borderline likely. Hundred-percent accuracy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:14 pm

Glad you guys have liked the mychances thing :) And thanks for the input. I'm hoping to integrate that feature in to the normal calculator soon.

I'm going to be reconfiguring some of the stuff on the website to optimize it and run some of the files on a different server (I wasn't really concerned with efficiency when I was programming and everything is eating up lots of server resources :/ Gotta fix that)

Part of this re-organization has involved me moving some files.

If you're referencing any images from my website, they've been moved to the images/ folder. The only images that people have really used, I think, are the harvard admission graphs. (Note that this does NOT include the admission chances charts... those still work.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:26 pm

Sorry for anyone who experienced the downtime in the past hour or so... was implementing some pretty major upgrades, although most of them aren't really visible ones.

Because the DNS might take some time to propagate to everyone in the world, some of you still might not have full access to the website.

The only thing you will really notice is that I added an automatic search feature which will automatically adjust your search range for each school in an attempt to maximize sample size while preserving the integrity of your LSAT and GPA ranges (as well as the cycles you're using). I meant to make it not cross medians but I didn't have the time... (If anyone has the chance to put the medians for the top 50 schools into a spreadsheet it would be super helpful! :D Otherwise I will get it done soon)

Please let me know if you experience any problems or have any suggestions!

Also the problem of people changing their LSN usernames and showing up twice should be fixed with this upgrade.

ETA: You can view the search criteria by school by hovering over the "info" icon at the right side of the search results in an automatic search. Also, you still have the option of entering a custom range/selecting cycles - you just have to uncheck the automatic box.

ETA: ED fixed

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:15 am

Think you could add a way to allow people to make their own ranges? Yours are very nice and it's a great add, but the old way was nice too :D

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:Think you could add a way to allow people to make their own ranges? Yours are very nice and it's a great add, but the old way was nice too :D
Oh, yes, you're still able to, you just have to unclick the the "Automatic search" box.

I suppose that's not as obvious as it should be... perhaps I should make it tabbed to make it clear that there are two kinds of search options...

ETA: I don't have time to figure out how to tab it tonight (or for a few days because I begin my Chicago-bound road trip tomorrow!) so for now I've added a bolded message to explain below the box. Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for letting me know :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:15 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:(If anyone has the chance to put the medians for the top 50 schools into a spreadsheet it would be super helpful! :D Otherwise I will get it done soon)
Here you go. There were a couple I couldn't find or were outdated (Tulane...).
Last edited by North on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:43 pm

North wrote:
LSATSCORES2012 wrote:(If anyone has the chance to put the medians for the top 50 schools into a spreadsheet it would be super helpful! :D Otherwise I will get it done soon)
Here you go. There were a couple I couldn't find or were outdated (Tulane...).
Awesome! Thank you so much, North!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Many, many thanks go out to Ti Malice for pointing out that the entire 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 cycles were missing from my database. Sorry guys, it looks like they were lost in the server transition a couple of days ago. They're back now!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm probably in the minority in this, and before I say anything critical, I really, really appreciate this site. Sometimes I click on banner ads just because. :D

The chances colors cause me to squint at the screen. Red -> Green is easy. Red -> Brown -> -> ??? -> Dark green (which is apparently worse than light green?) -> light green is wtfrack.

That is all. ^_^

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:03 pm

twentypercentmore wrote:I'm probably in the minority in this, and before I say anything critical, I really, really appreciate this site. Sometimes I click on banner ads just because. :D

The chances colors cause me to squint at the screen. Red -> Green is easy. Red -> Brown -> -> ??? -> Dark green (which is apparently worse than light green?) -> light green is wtfrack.

That is all. ^_^
Haha, you're totally right. The system basically calculated a color code where it inversely correlated green and red colors depending upon the percentage of people accepted... And that can produce some weird results.

Should be better now :) I've made it display four different colors. Thanks for the helpful input!

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:12 pm

Much better, thanks! :)

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nothingtosee

Silver

Post by nothingtosee » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Those graphs are AWESOME. I'm going to start clicking on banner ads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:29 am

Small update...

manual non-ED search images will now display a message at the bottom indicating the value one might receive from retaking and scoring 3 points higher on the LSAT if there is a significant difference and the max lsat score is less than 173
Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:33 am

The last two improvements have been insanely useful. Great job as always.

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:36 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:The last two improvements have been insanely useful. Great job as always.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you like 'em :)

silentnight

New

Post by silentnight » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:56 pm

Quick question about myLSN.info (awesome tool, by the way). When you restrict to submitted "early" apps as opposed to submitted "any" apps, the results seem to be vastly different. For instance, if I plug in LSAT 180 and GPA 3.5 (URM and ED excluded), for ANY apps, then it looks as though Harvard and Chicago are 100% out. As in 0 accepted and 4 rejected to HLS; 1 accepted, 1 admitted, 4 WL'd to Chicago.

But when "submitted early" is selected, 6 accepted to Chicago and 0 rejected; even split to Harvard, 3 and 3. Basically I would assume that "any" would mean all apps to a school, including any time in the cycle, so that the 6 accepted to Chicago would show up even though they were submitted early. Could someone clarify this distinction for me? Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:16 pm

silentnight wrote:Quick question about myLSN.info (awesome tool, by the way). When you restrict to submitted "early" apps as opposed to submitted "any" apps, the results seem to be vastly different. For instance, if I plug in LSAT 180 and GPA 3.5 (URM and ED excluded), for ANY apps, then it looks as though Harvard and Chicago are 100% out. As in 0 accepted and 4 rejected to HLS; 1 accepted, 1 admitted, 4 WL'd to Chicago.

But when "submitted early" is selected, 6 accepted to Chicago and 0 rejected; even split to Harvard, 3 and 3. Basically I would assume that "any" would mean all apps to a school, including any time in the cycle, so that the 6 accepted to Chicago would show up even though they were submitted early. Could someone clarify this distinction for me? Thanks!
Very good question. I assume you're using the automatic search - if so, this is because there are less apps submitted early so it's having to expand the range of numbers it searches in order to get an adequate sample size. So even though you're entering the same numbers, it's actually including more applications in your search because the sample size got smaller. If you hover over the information symbol on the right side of the results, it will show you the range used for each school.

silentnight

New

Post by silentnight » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:44 am

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:
silentnight wrote:Quick question about myLSN.info (awesome tool, by the way). When you restrict to submitted "early" apps as opposed to submitted "any" apps, the results seem to be vastly different. For instance, if I plug in LSAT 180 and GPA 3.5 (URM and ED excluded), for ANY apps, then it looks as though Harvard and Chicago are 100% out. As in 0 accepted and 4 rejected to HLS; 1 accepted, 1 admitted, 4 WL'd to Chicago.

Very good question. I assume you're using the automatic search - if so, this is because there are less apps submitted early so it's having to expand the range of numbers it searches in order to get an adequate sample size. So even though you're entering the same numbers, it's actually including more applications in your search because the sample size got smaller. If you hover over the information symbol on the right side of the results, it will show you the range used for each school.
Perfect, thanks for your quick and thorough explanation. Once you break down the early apps it's clear that most of the accepted apps are GPAs in the 3.65+ range that were included in the sample to make it larger. Thanks again!

LSATSCORES2012

Silver

Post by LSATSCORES2012 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:52 pm

I've turned off automatic searches by default because of the confusion it has been causing, and I've made the pages now show the LST employment score for each school along with a star rating based upon that score. If you click on the score/rating it will take you to the relevant school's LST page...

I may add these employment scores to the images, too, but I think it's getting pretty cluttered and I don't really like clutter. Anyone have any preferences? Should I add it to the images?

Edit: Correction, these don't show the LST scores because the ones on LSN also include JD Preferred jobs... if anyone can make a strong argument to me why they shouldn't be included I'll consider switching to just JD required.
Last edited by LSATSCORES2012 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:56 pm

LSATSCORES2012 wrote:I've turned off automatic searches by default because of the confusion it has been causing, and I've made the pages now show the LST employment score for each school along with a star rating based upon that score. If you click on the score/rating it will take you to the relevant school's LST page...

I may add these employment scores to the images, too, but I think it's getting pretty cluttered and I don't really like clutter. Anyone have any preferences? Should I add it to the images?
Among a plethora of awesome ideas, I love this one most. Combining LST with mylsn seems like the perfect marriage. I agree about it getting too cluttered, but combining employment outcomes with admission outcomes seems like the most natural connection anyone should make it deciding where to apply/attend.

You've done some awesome development and I sincerely appreciate it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”