AA degree/175+ lsat? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jhspaybar

New

AA degree/175+ lsat?

Post by jhspaybar » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:31 pm

Here's my question, I entered a UC school with a *ton* of AP credit at age 18, took 2 quarters of classes and left with a 2.4. I've since taken a few classes at a local state school and J/C raising my GPA to about a 2.95 and am pretty much eligible to get an AA. If I'm capable of scoring a 175+ LSAT(which from a few practice tests I've taken appears possible), are there any top law schools that would even consider my application?

Would I be better served going to Sac State and raising that GPA to 3.5 over two years of upper division? Is Sac State even a school worth attending if my ultimate goal would be T14? Would I be better off holding out for a UOP or Santa Clara admit?

I know there are a lot of questions here, but now that I'm 26 I want to do this right and make sure that I plan out the next 3-6 years of my life properly.

As for Soft's, if I stayed in my area I've made political connections and would likely have a strong shot at a school board election in 2010 that needs about 15,000 votes to win. Also, in High School I was named one of the top 3 entreprenuers under 18 by a business mag for an Internet company I'd started.

I guess let me know if there's ANY shot at a top school with only a weak AA but strong LSATS or if I would be better served at a state school or nearby private institution until my 4 year degree was complete.

Thank You,

thalassocrat

Bronze

Re: AA degree/175+ lsat?

Post by thalassocrat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:35 pm

You need at least a bachelor's for any school worth going to.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Stay in school a couple more years, get your Bachelor's (hopefully with something like a 3.4 or 3.5 by then) and then apply to law school with the 175. I'm not sure there are any law schools outside the T4 that will take you with only an AA, and I highly doubt that anyone would hire you without a bachelor's anyway.

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:38 pm

I'm pretty sure that all ABA accredited schools require a bachelor's degree.

If you know you want to go to law school and really are capable of a 170+ then go to the undergrad that is cheapest and you are most likely to get a high GPA. Law schools really don't care about your undergrad institution.

If, and it's a big if, you end up with a 3.5 and a 174, then you'd almost certainly get into one of the top 6 schools and would get money from somewhere in the top 14.

jhspaybar

New

Post by jhspaybar » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Well, I suppose that answers the question then, thank you :)

I guess one last query then, if I studied and took an LSAT this summer would it still be relevant if I was applying to law schools in Fall of 2012 or 2013 or would I be better served taking it later? I know the scores stay there for 5 years, but would a top school discard a score that was 2-3 years old?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:45 pm

jhspaybar wrote:Well, I suppose that answers the question then, thank you :)

I guess one last query then, if I studied and took an LSAT this summer would it still be relevant if I was applying to law schools in Fall of 2012 or 2013 or would I be better served taking it later? I know the scores stay there for 5 years, but would a top school discard a score that was 2-3 years old?
You could take it now, but it doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't tell a freshman or sophomore in college to go take the LSAT, because things can change. Finish your education, and if law school still makes sense when you're close to done, then go and take the LSAT.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:51 pm

GeePee wrote:
jhspaybar wrote:Well, I suppose that answers the question then, thank you :)

You could take it now, but it doesn't make much sense. I wouldn't tell a freshman or sophomore in college to go take the LSAT, because things can change. Finish your education, and if law school still makes sense when you're close to done, then go and take the LSAT.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”