Anyone else taking the "no safety" approach? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ApexChaser

Bronze

Re: Anyone else taking the "no safety" approach?

Post by ApexChaser » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:37 pm

No safeties. Well, I have safety targets in the T30, but I did not apply to anything beyond that.

I felt it would be a waste to go somewhere I am not happy with. At this point, I would be 80% happy with any of the schools I applied to.

xcountryjunkie

Bronze

Post by xcountryjunkie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:56 am

No safeties for me. I'm not sure what I want to do with my law degree so having as many options as possible is particularly important for me. I applied to only T14 schools. I've got stats that I feel give me a shot at the lower T14s, but nothing is assured. If I have to work for a year in order to get into a T14, then so be it.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:44 am

I applied to a few safeties last cycle and got dinged at most of my targets, but into my safeties. I decided that I didn't like my options, waited a year to apply earlier in the cycle, boosted my resume, retook LSAT, and this cycle I haven't applied to one safety (and I have already done significantly better than last year). Bottom line: don't settle for a place you wouldn't be happy to have a JD from (regardless of the $$$$$).

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:49 am

As a florida resident, it doesn't make sense not to apply to UF.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:42 pm

I applied to a few safeties in hopes of receiving some $$$ just so I have that option when decision time comes. Or if, you know, I am completely shut out of all my targets/reaches...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Cupidity wrote:As a florida resident, it doesn't make sense not to apply to UF.
Same. If I went to UF and practiced in FL for the rest of my life, I would still be happy. I applied to UGA as well, because I may want to stay in GA.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:37 pm

I only applied to one safety because they gave me a fee waiver and I could see myself living and practicing in its city (Cincinnati). Otherwise, safeties seem kinda pointless.

That being said, four weeks ago I was thinking about applying to two or three safeties because I hadn't heard from any of my schools yet. >.>

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”