Was it a mistake to only apply at T14? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Ayeshabelle

New

Was it a mistake to only apply at T14?

Post by Ayeshabelle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:19 am

I have a 167/3.83 from a fourth tier public college and applied to only T14 schools, do you think I have a shot, or should I apply to backups asap?

fonzerelli

Bronze

Re: Was it a mistake to only apply at T14?

Post by fonzerelli » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:26 am

Ayeshabelle wrote:I have a 167/3.83 from a fourth tier public college and applied to only T14 schools, do you think I have a shot, or should I apply to backups asap?
Although your numbers are solid and I don't think the 4th tier UG thing will have much of an impact, I've developed a personal device. For each ding received from a relative reach, I apply to another safety. Lets hope this doesn't turn into an expensive habit.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:35 am

In theory those numbers should get you into a T14.

Here are the 2 caveats.

1) Admissions offices are saying that the number of applicants have gone up like crazy this year. If the number of high quality applicants has gone up proportionately, then those numbers might not be good enough to get in.

2) You never know. Those numbers aren't 'auto-admits' at any T14 schools. Therefore, you will get in only at the whim of admissions offices.

I think it's always a good idea to have safeties unless you're of the idea that you won't go to law school unless you get into a T14.

If I had to guess I would peg your chances at 60/40

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:38 am

awesomepossum wrote:
1) Admissions offices are saying that the number of applicants have gone up like crazy this year. If the number of high quality applicants has gone up proportionately, then those numbers might not be good enough to get in.
What would you peg the odds of this having happened? I'm leaning towards the belief that lower quality apps comprise the greater majority of the increase in total number.... hopefully.

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:40 am

I am afraid of the finance types who decided to become corporate lawyers because of the economic downturn... they might be quite competitive applicants. Their effect may be mitigated by the fact that I'm applying as a "public servicey" candidate.
Last edited by Ayeshabelle on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:41 am

fonzerelli wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:
What would you peg the odds of this having happened? I'm leaning towards the belief that lower quality apps comprise the greater majority of the increase in total number.... hopefully.

honestly there's no way to know until after the fact right?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:42 am

Ayeshabelle wrote:would a strong essay and URM status push me over the edge?

And I am afraid of the finance types who decided to become corporate lawyers because of the economic downturn... they might be quite competitive applicants. Their effect may be mitigated by the fact that I'm applying as a "public servicey" candidate.

URM status almost definitely would as long as it's a recognized one. (African American, Latino, Native American)

Everyone thinks they have a strong essay.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:44 am

Ayeshabelle wrote:would a strong essay and URM status push me over the edge?

And I am afraid of the finance types who decided to become corporate lawyers because of the economic downturn... they might be quite competitive applicants. Their effect may be mitigated by the fact that I'm applying as a "public servicey" candidate.
Hell yes URM status more than mitigates the afformentioned (potential) fact. I think you can relax if the rest of your app was reasonably compelling.... if so you're definitely T14 bound.

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:45 am

Do law schools look favorably upon first generation Americans?
Last edited by Ayeshabelle on Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:46 am

Ayeshabelle wrote:How about playing the first generation American card? Do law schools care about that?

I don't think so. Considering there are quite a few international students/green card holders applying, I don't think being a first generation American really makes that much of a difference.

fonzerelli

Bronze

Post by fonzerelli » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:48 am

Ayeshabelle wrote:How about playing the first generation American card? Do law schools care about that?
Now that I don't know.... I thought you meant conventional URM status. I would tend to think no. Think of if 2 Canadian immigrants came to America to start a family and their son/daughter wanted special consideration to go to LS.... no.

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:49 am

I have both. I wrote about being a first generation american in my supplemental diversity statements and the immigration law volunteering I have done for extra points since it is not obvious from my regular application.

Thank you very much for the encouragement. Now I can probably stop spending all my money on application fees and staying up all night with worries. Hope you all get/got into the schools you want most too!
Last edited by Ayeshabelle on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:50 am

Well I'm a 2L at my dream school, so yeah. :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:08 am

awesomepossum wrote:Well I'm a 2L at my dream school, so yeah. :wink:

do kids at michigan regularly get new york big law (assuming they want that) under normal (i.e. not ite) circumstances? also, do you guys have opportunities to take classes at the ross school without much trouble? thanks dood.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:19 am

talibkweli wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:Well I'm a 2L at my dream school, so yeah. :wink:

do kids at michigan regularly get new york big law (assuming they want that) under normal (i.e. not ite) circumstances? also, do you guys have opportunities to take classes at the ross school without much trouble? thanks dood.

First question yes. In past years students way under mean easily got big firms in NYC.

Second question, people do take classes at the business school and there's a procedure for that. I don't know how hard or easy it is because I've never tried.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:39 am

looking at your numbers, your applications should probably have focused between 10 and 20

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:29 pm

I would ABSOLUTELY have thrown out some apps to schools in the 15 to 30 range. First of all, your numbers are very good but like others have said, not auto admitting numbers at any T14. With the increased competition this cycle, I would be worried. You basically have a lot of reaches, and a few targets.

Second, and perhaps most importantly, why wouldn't you give yourself a shot at some $$$ with those numbers!? You are probably looking at acceptances from GULC, Cornell, Virginia, Duke. A lot of people will tell you that if you had to choose between sticker at any of these schools and $$$ at a T25, they would take the T25.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:37 pm

If you are a real urm, then I can see you getting in anywhere if you have decent recs, softs, etc. If you are not, then you have a shot at cornell, gtown and maybe duke. But pretty much out everywhere else in the T-14. Maybe Michigan also, but its a stretch. UVA is a probable no because neither of your numbers is above the median. But if youre a URM, then admissions to anywhere is possible.

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:10 pm

I think I'll throw in applications to University of Minnesota and George Mason then, since they sent me fee waivers. I'd rather do Fordham, but my advisor said it would be a waste of time.

Do you think I should also try Fordham?

como

Silver

Post by como » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Where do you want to practice?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Ayeshabelle wrote:I think I'll throw in applications to University of Minnesota and George Mason then, since they sent me fee waivers. I'd rather do Fordham, but my advisor said it would be a waste of time.

Why would Fordham be a waste of time? I'd think you'd be a sure thing. You'd also have a good shot at $$ from BU/GW.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 pm

If you're really T14 or bust (especially if you want to work in DC) you may want to look into the extended/eliminated ED deadline at UVA to up your chances there. I don't remember seeing it mentioned ITT but if your only goal is T14 by any means necessary its definately something you should at least look into.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Ayeshabelle wrote:I think I'll throw in applications to University of Minnesota and George Mason then, since they sent me fee waivers. I'd rather do Fordham, but my advisor said it would be a waste of time.

Are you sure you are a URM? URM is only Black, Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Native American. If you do not fall into one of these categories you are not a URM. If you are one of these groups though there is no need to apply outside of the top 14 (especially if you are Black, if you are you are going to one of Harvard, Yale, or Stanford). If you are not one of these groups you should at least apply to some of Texas/Vandy/USC/UCLA.

Sequoia90

New

Post by Sequoia90 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:15 pm

It's not too late to throw some more apps into the mix.

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:22 pm

I have no idea why Fordham would be a waste of time, I just kind of do everything he says because he's borderline omniscient about law.

Ideally, I want to practice public interest law in NYC, probably specializing in legal counsel.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”