164, 3.3, Peace Corps and good softs... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
pilawpcv

New

164, 3.3, Peace Corps and good softs...

Post by pilawpcv » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:16 am

Hi all,

I'm hoping for law school in Fall 2011, and I'm starting now because I live in the middle of nowhere (Peace Corps) and internet/mail can be spotty.

My stats are not as good as I would like- below average for my undergrad school (an Ivy)- but good enough.

I'm a little confused as to where would be good places to apply; I've been told to aim higher than stats alone would give me due to the Peace Corps, having worked in a law school, and extensive nonprofit org management experience.

Any similar experiences or good places to apply for me? I hope to work in an immigrant services clinic someday, maybe even get a JD/MSW.

Neelio

Silver

Re: 164, 3.3, Peace Corps and good softs...

Post by Neelio » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:18 am

pilawpcv wrote:Hi all,

I'm hoping for law school in Fall 2011, and I'm starting now because I live in the middle of nowhere (Peace Corps) and internet/mail can be spotty.

My stats are not as good as I would like- below average for my undergrad school (an Ivy)- but good enough.

I'm a little confused as to where would be good places to apply; I've been told to aim higher than stats alone would give me due to the Peace Corps, having worked in a law school, and extensive nonprofit org management experience.

Any similar experiences or good places to apply for me? I hope to work in an immigrant services clinic someday, maybe even get a JD/MSW.
Go top 20-35. If you want a joint w/ MSW try UC Davis. Big on social justice.

shephrdpie

New

Post by shephrdpie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am

I'm also considering the joint JD/MSW and did a bunch of research on programs of this nature. In the tier of schools you would probably be looking I would take a look at Wash U in St. Louis (reach), Boston College (reach), Fordham (reach), Maryland (match), UConn (match), Rutgers (match) and Cardozo (match). I don't know about many of the programs past that point, but with a bump from your peace corps time and work experience I think you should have a shot at even some of the tougher schools on that list. I also found that the JD/MSW program was not very prevalent so I had to expand my list to include schools that just had strong public interest programs or that fit my admissions scores. I don't think that UC Davis has a social work program, but I know that they are big on trying to cater to folks' unique joint degree plans. Anyway, I hope this is a little helpful and I'm sure there are other programs out there that might suit your plans better.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:35 pm

im in the corps right now and ive applied for this cycle. ive gotten into 3 schools so far that were listed as deny by lawschoolpredictor.com given my stats... i think with your ivy league background and peace corps experience you will get into at least some of what should be numerical reaches for you. my 2cents.

kumba84

Bronze

Post by kumba84 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:54 am

--
Last edited by kumba84 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

pilawpcv

New

Post by pilawpcv » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:28 am

Thanks so much for all the help. Sounds like it's going to be fun :-)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”