URM' - Do most write a diversity statement? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Flanker1067

Silver

URM' - Do most write a diversity statement?

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Hey so I am pondering this as I write my "why X?" statements and such. Do most URM's write a diversity statement and do people believe that admissions deans expect one?

I am a URM but I don't feel that living as one has particularly negatively or positively impacted my life or academic success. Sure, it's somewhat changed my life as it is something we deal with, but I certainly don't feel disadvantaged in any way. That being said, I am still checking the box and am wondering whether this alone is enough to get me any admissions love.

kareenak888

New

Re: URM' - Do most write a diversity statement?

Post by kareenak888 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:13 pm

if you don't write one schools will assume that you have no diversity to contribute to their school and tehrefore not give you an admissions bump.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:17 pm

kareenak888 wrote:if you don't write one schools will assume that you have no diversity to contribute to their school and tehrefore not give you an admissions bump.

Ha, that sounds a little harsh. No diversity? I still have diversity of experience as written about in the PS, I am assuming you mean no cultural diversity. Which, to be fair, I may have URM heritage but I am really American so....

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:16 pm

kareenak888 wrote:if you don't write one schools will assume that you have no diversity to contribute to their school and tehrefore not give you an admissions bump.
The purpose of giving URMs a boost is that they're underrepresented in the legal profession vis-à-vis their representation in the population at large, no? If so, A Puerto Rican law-school applicant orphaned shortly after birth, adopted by a white family from New England, and entirely disdainful of his ethnic heritage would still contribute to the amelioration of that statistical disparity, so why wouldn't he get the same bump?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:41 pm

Just write one. It's necessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:45 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sun May 10, 2015 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:47 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Just write one. It's necessary.
Would you recommend overstating the role that it has played in my life in order to make it sound great? Or, alternativley talking about the real place it has had in my life, which might make for a good statement, but also might just be a funny statement that risks offending URM's who have not had the same experience.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:47 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Just write one. It's necessary.
Seconded.

OP it would be in your best interest to do so. Good luck.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:52 pm

It really doesn't have to be all that great. I mean, if it's good, then that's awesome. But mostly you write it so schools are like okay, this person is AA/Hispanic/NA, now we have a reason to admit them. For example, Michigan removes the page on the app where you state your race before your file gets to any admissions committee member. So they have no way of now URM status w/o a DS.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:54 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:It really doesn't have to be all that great. I mean, if it's good, then that's awesome. But mostly you write it so schools are like okay, this person is AA/Hispanic/NA, now we have a reason to admit them. For example, Michigan removes the page on the app where you state your race before your file gets to any admissions committee member. So they have no way of now URM status w/o a DS.

Hmm, thanks, thats a serious consideration.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”