Midwest chances Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Sg017

New

Midwest chances

Post by Sg017 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:28 pm

I want to first thank all the posters on this site. Tls is a first rate place to get your questions answers, I hope some people will give me some advice.

I was wondering what schools I should apply to if I want tostay in the Midwest but don't have top notch numbers. I have a 2.9 and a 162. Also some decent softs and non urm. Thanks in advance I hope to get some responses!

- S

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Re: Midwest chances

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sg017

New

Post by Sg017 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks. Don't know much about mizzou, I'm currently in chi but looking at other options besides depaul loyola or Kent

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:33 pm

a little bit of a reach, but what about University of Cincinnati? Case Western Reserve seems like an appropriate choice too. Maybe Chicago-Kent as well.

Sg017

New

Post by Sg017 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:38 pm

Ite I'm most concerned about job opportunites from t2s in the midwest. What are peoples opinions for the best t2 in the Midwest?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Sg017

New

Post by Sg017 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Also any chance I get into any of these reahes: iub (in state alum) Wisconsin Illinois or Minnesota?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Sg017 wrote:Also any chance I get into any of these reahes: iub (in state alum) Wisconsin Illinois or Minnesota?
Wisconsin seems like a maybe.

LM2014

New

Post by LM2014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:14 pm

Kent does pretty well in Chicago for its ranking. The average salary for people entering private practice is $112k ( http://www.kentlaw.edu/depts/cso/employmentstats.html ). Your gpa falls below the 25th percentile, and your lsat is at the 75th percentile, so I would think you would have a good shot of getting in there. It's a good location also, about 1-2 blocks behind the Sears tower I believe. If you're interested in IP law then it is especially strong. Chicago is such a great city, and I miss it a lot. If you have time and think you can do better on the lsat to the point of getting near 170 that would help you a lot, and maybe it could get you Northwestern, and definitely WUSTL and IL I believe.

Sg017

New

Post by Sg017 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:20 pm

thanks for the response. I have heard mixed things about Kent, some people seem to think it doesn't have the name recognition that loyola or depaul have. I mat admit I didn't know it existed before researching schools. I love Chicago too definitely wouldn't mind working here, just wonder if I could get into a better school that may give more options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LM2014

New

Post by LM2014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:51 pm

You're right it doesn't have the same name recognition. That being said I believe Kent's students receive higher salaries than Depaul for sure, and I believe they do better than Loyola also. If you want to stay in Chicago then Kent will probably be the best option of the three, though Loyola may be pretty similar. I admit I didn't know much about them until I started doing research. From this site they state the average starting salary from Loyola is around $95k for private practice ( http://www.top-law-schools.com/loyola-chicago-law.html ) .

And for Depaul they have it at $68k. ( http://www.top-law-schools.com/depaul-law.html )

I would stick to either Loyola or Kent if you are to stay in Chicago.

Sg017

New

Post by Sg017 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:57 pm

Thanks. Does anyone recommend any other t2 or lower t1 that places well in chi that I could get in to besides the 3 chi schools.

LM2014

New

Post by LM2014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:09 pm

Just thinking of ones to look into:

Marquette, Wisconsin, Ohio State, IU - Indianpolis? , Case Western, maybe St.Louis University. I think most of those would give you a shot in Chicago. Maybe take a shot at U of I and see what happens since they place really well in Chicago.

sluguy14

Bronze

Post by sluguy14 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:19 pm

If St. Louis appeals to you, Saint Louis U would be a good bet. The law school is well-regarded around here and they have an incredibly strong alumni network in and around the city. Of course, the school is very regional. If you don't see yourself practicing in St. Louis for the foreseeable future, you should look elsewhere. As someone else mentioned, you might consider retaking the lsat and shooting for ~170. If you can do that, WUSTL would be a good choice.

*current SLU undergrad student, for what its worth

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sg017

New

Post by Sg017 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm pretty surprised multiple people have mentioned wisco. I didn't really think I had a shot there but maybe I should send an app. I like their clinical focus, just thought the badgers were out of my league. Madison is fantastic too

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:29 pm

Sg017 wrote:I'm pretty surprised multiple people have mentioned wisco. I didn't really think I had a shot there but maybe I should send an app. I like their clinical focus, just thought the badgers were out of my league. Madison is fantastic too
you have a better shot at wisconsin than illinois with your numbers. also while average starting salary for kent might be higher than depaul's, i believe the depaul name will help you more in securing a job - which should be the primary objective.

LM2014

New

Post by LM2014 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:39 pm

moandersen wrote:
Sg017 wrote:I'm pretty surprised multiple people have mentioned wisco. I didn't really think I had a shot there but maybe I should send an app. I like their clinical focus, just thought the badgers were out of my league. Madison is fantastic too
you have a better shot at wisconsin than illinois with your numbers. also while average starting salary for kent might be higher than depaul's, i believe the depaul name will help you more in securing a job - which should be the primary objective.
I would agree with you if he wants to relocate that Depaul may be a better option. Within Chicago I would think all of the law firms would be quite familiar with each school. The fact that the starting salary is higher implies that firms are familiar with the school and their quality of students, does it not? That is my impression.

Sg017- you should definitely take a shot at wisky. The worst they can do is reject you, and like you said Madison is a really great town.

Sg017

New

Post by Sg017 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:54 pm

I will definitely send an app to the badgers. I haven't seen many acceptances on lsn with my stats but I could be the first. Anyone know if Chicago firms recruit heavily from there after the t14 schools?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

camstant

Bronze

Post by camstant » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:54 am

KU or Iowa. both are really great college towns with a lot of regional connections, including chicago. Also relatively affordable...

Sg017

New

Post by Sg017 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:52 am

There is no shortage of quality Midwestern law schools, it just comes down to who will accept me. Any t1 schools want to give me a shot?!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”