3.84/178 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tristanlxboyd

New

3.84/178

Post by tristanlxboyd » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:20 pm

It's something I obviously think about a lot. LSP puts me at Admit for everywhere but Yale (Strong Consider). I'm a white male, 21, will have an MA in Politics by next fall, started several clubs on campus (academic/volunteer work). I don't have significant employment history (waiting tables and security) nor a tragic story.

3.84/178 [Only score]
Applying to HYS, CCN, GULC, Penn, Virginia.

I'm wondering whether I'm going to suffer from getting apps in late. Took the December test and had my transcripts sent to LSAC on Monday. LOR's are in and I'm polishing my PS/Resume/Y250 right now. So I'm most interested whether and how I'm going to be effected by YP and how to interpret the "strong consider" in light of these other factors.
Last edited by tristanlxboyd on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vespertiliovir

Bronze

Re: 3.84/178

Post by vespertiliovir » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Is that your only LSAT, or your high? According to their admissions blog, applying late doesn't hurt you in the least bit at Yale.

If the score's your only one, buy warm clothes -- I hear New Haven winters are rough ;)

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Penn has a second essay required; have you thought about that one yet? Otherwise, you're in pretty good shape; HYS are never certain this late, but you have a strong chance. At least two of CCN will admit you (NYU is most likely to as they penalize late apps the least), and the rest should all admit.

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:35 pm

Yes it is my only score, edited accordingly.

I'd love to do IP, but like the east coast and know Stanford is a black box, so I haven't thought about predicting that one. I didn't realize Penn has a specific essay--thanks for mentioning that. I suppose I need to go read about their faculty and programs so I don't just say "Based on Penn's position on USNR, I knew I'd love to study there..."

So no real argument for holding off and applying next cycle? I'll be newly married by next fall, so I'd have to plan on getting a job ITE etc. etc., though I'd like to think I could land something to bolster my lanky resume.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:38 pm

Has LSAC processed your transcripts yet, or did you just start the process Monday? If you just started the process, you could be in trouble. Otherwise you're fine, and your numbers should get you in just about anywhere.

I don't think it's that late in the cycle...at least I hope not. Yale says they don't penalize later applications and I tend to believe them. For one thing, they not only accept the February LSAT but say that taking it is no disadvantage. Other top schools that take the February LSAT say it's a big disadvantage. If there was an advantage to applying early, what does Yale gain by lying about it?

Based on what I read on their admissions blog it doesn't seem like it's too late to apply to Stanford either. At least I hope not, because I just applied and my numbers are not as good as yours. But I would get it in ASAP...they just got back from a break and are now processing everything that came in during that time.

NYU also says they don't care when you submit, and I am inclined to believe them to some degree, because again, what do they gain by lying? But they do not accept the February LSAT and seem to give out more offers earlier, so I think applying earlier might make a slight difference there.

P.S. Congrats on getting a 178. That's amazing!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:41 pm

tristanlxboyd wrote:Yes it is my only score, edited accordingly.

I'd love to do IP, but like the east coast and know Stanford is a black box, so I haven't thought about predicting that one. I didn't realize Penn has a specific essay--thanks for mentioning that. I suppose I need to go read about their faculty and programs so I don't just say "Based on Penn's position on USNR, I knew I'd love to study there..."

So no real argument for holding off and applying next cycle? I'll be newly married by next fall, so I'd have to plan on getting a job ITE etc. etc., though I'd like to think I could land something to bolster my lanky resume.
Well, if you applied early next cycle, you'd be an absolute lock at Harvard instead of an 85-90% chance. (Yale is never certain.) But your numbers are certainly good enough to apply immediately and reapply next round if you get rejected.

Anyway, ignoring the fact that I have a 167 before my retake, we're pretty close to numbers twins (3.78/178). I'm applying now, although my apps were in a week ago. Take from that what you will.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:41 pm

TLS is skewed. most people apply now, and not just people who don't get in. i would venture to argue most people who get into law school submit in january.

you'll get in somewhere amazing. new haven sucks so i wouldn't worry about it too much.

also, $$$ from lower T14.
Last edited by rw2264 on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:42 pm

My UG just put the transcripts in the mail yesterday. This going to be bad?

I really like the cold, so I think New Haven sounds pleasant, :P

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:44 pm

tristanlxboyd wrote:My UG just put the transcripts in the mail yesterday. This going to be bad?
....yes. they take a couple weeks to process, and probably more now because its so busy. if you're best friends with someone at your UGs registrar you could maybe bribe them to fax over a copy, but i don't know if that would still be considered official. eep.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:46 pm

What are the intervals I'm looking at? A week in the mail to LSAC, 8-10 days getting processed by them, and then a week to send to school? That makes me pretty damn uncomfortable now that I think about it.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:50 pm

make sure you FAX letters of recommendation. transcript will take 2 weeks but you don't want anything else holding you back whatsoever

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:51 pm

Two weeks from UG registrar to law schools in paper form or...?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:54 pm

it goes something like this.

UGRAD -> Pennsylvania LSAC : 3-5 days snail mail
Pennsylvania LSAC "processing" : 1-2 weeks

after that , when you submit apps (you should do this now btw, even if you don't have transcripts in), the schools will request a "report". LSAC will then send the transcripts from their facility bundled with the rest of your app.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:54 pm

i believe that you can't fax transcripts, they need to be official snail mail from your institution

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:55 pm

Thanks I'll fill those apps. So the Feb. 1st, Feb. 15th, etc. deadlines refer to when the school receives the application from LSAC after requesting it?

Still looking for more thoughts on chances.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:00 am

tristanlxboyd wrote:Thanks I'll fill those apps. So the Feb. 1st, Feb. 15th, etc. deadlines refer to when the school receives the application from LSAC after requesting it?

those deadlines usually refer to having a complete report available from LSAC: Transcript + LOR + LSAT

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:02 am

tristanlxboyd wrote:Thanks I'll fill those apps. So the Feb. 1st, Feb. 15th, etc. deadlines refer to when the school receives the application from LSAC after requesting it?

i think you have diminished your chances at $$$ from lower T14, but I bet you will still get into H and NYU at least. They both love numbers, and yours are fantastic, even late in the cycle. If they have any seats available, you are probably a top contender.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:06 am

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:09 am

My goal is to go to the best school I can, and I haven't been counting on $$$ for that reason. So that is good news! So if my top choices aren't really affected by applying right now, I'm happy.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:12 am

my god, a person w/ great numbers AND a GOOD What are my chances question! it brings a tear to my eye

outside of YS (no one can predict, though i always hear timing is less of an issue for Y)...H will prob still take you, assuming your essays are good on a quick read through...by this time they're prob spending very little time per app and need to focus on numbers, and yours are pretty.

NYU is prob a def yes too. UChi and CLS id imagine would let you in, but for some reason i want to say WL/in, iunno why, i have absolutely no reason to think it, but my gut just made me write it (thats how im gonna do my lawyering too ;))

id put your chances at H at around 65-70%. i just never like turning things in late...are you in a rush to get into law? if not, why not submit next cycle and lock in more $$$ and increase your chances at HYS?

hell, economy will be better too during your 2L yr :P iunno if you can get all your stuff in on time...it is a week into january and your stuff doesnt seem to even be in LSAC's hands...and they snail mail the stuff schools want to the schools (or most want paper from LSAC)...if you have the cash tho and dont care either cycle, why not try it now?

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:33 am

I'm certainly applying this cycle. Assuming I sumbit my PS, Resume, and applications tonight, when do you think I'll go complete?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:37 am

tristanlxboyd wrote:I'm certainly applying this cycle. Assuming I sumbit my PS, Resume, and applications tonight, when do you think I'll go complete?
mm lets say your transcript is PROCESSED by LSAC by 1/22...maybe a few days before even during this busy period. you submit all your other stuff and apps beforehand...they then snail mail the stuff to the schools...i think you can make it in before the end of the month if everything goes according to plan.

tristanlxboyd

New

Post by tristanlxboyd » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:47 am

So if I've got this right, here's where I stand:

Apps will likely get in on time, maybe with a few days to spare.

Yale and Stanford I might get into but won't suffer (appreciably) from having it in later.

Harvard I might suffer some from, but my numbers still put me in the likely admit category.

The rest, I will have less of a chance of acceptance, and considerably less chance for $$$ in some cases, but my numbers should cover me if I don't get into HYS.

Accurate?

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:59 am

tristanlxboyd wrote:So if I've got this right, here's where I stand:

Apps will likely get in on time, maybe with a few days to spare.

Yale and Stanford I might get into but won't suffer (appreciably) from having it in later.

Harvard I might suffer some from, but my numbers still put me in the likely admit category.

The rest, I will have less of a chance of acceptance, and considerably less chance for $$$ in some cases, but my numbers should cover me if I don't get into HYS.

Accurate?
close enough -- now quick and go do it and tell us your results so us prophets of TLS can either bask in our glory or cry out in anger about how you're an exception! :P

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:31 am

Another application piece you might not have considered is the Stanford Statement of the Dean. You need to contact the dean of students at your UG school immediately and get that filled out. It's on LSAC's site under the supplementary materials for the Stanford app or on Stanford's Application page, #3. I don't think it means much if anything for people applying after finishing undergrad, but it's still required. Fortunately, you can have the dean fax it straight to Stanford rather than having to have it go through LSAC.

I'm not applying to Stanford because my dean of students won't even be on campus until Jan. 19, when my UG reopens, which is cutting it too close to the Feb. 1 deadline for my comfort. I also just don't see the point, but I think some of these things schools ask for with the express purpose of attempting to trip up people who aren't really diligent.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”