William and Mary?? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
scgirl

New

William and Mary??

Post by scgirl » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:32 pm

Hi. Just recieved a fee waiver from William and Mary. I have a 3.51 with a 162. What are my chances? Does recieving a fee waiver offer a good indication if you will be admitted? Also, what other decent schools may be a possibility. I'm planning on retaking the LSAT since I was making an averaging about 171 on preptests. Should I just retake?

deadpanic

Silver

Re: William and Mary??

Post by deadpanic » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:56 pm

scgirl wrote:Hi. Just recieved a fee waiver from William and Mary. I have a 3.51 with a 162. What are my chances?
You have a chance, but unless you are an Under Represented Minority, I'd say the chances aren't great.
Does recieving a fee waiver offer a good indication if you will be admitted?
No.

I would throw apps at Illinois, Alabama, Wake Forest, Georgia, Washington & Lee, and Tulane.

lawoftheland

New

Post by lawoftheland » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:58 pm

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:44 pm

deadpanic wrote:
scgirl wrote:Hi. Just recieved a fee waiver from William and Mary. I have a 3.51 with a 162. What are my chances?
You have a chance, but unless you are an Under Represented Minority, I'd say the chances aren't great.
No.

I would throw apps at Illinois, Alabama, Wake Forest, Georgia, Washington & Lee, and Tulane.
Wait, so schools send out waivers to people who aren't probable admits? I'm only receiving unsolicited fee waivers from schools that I would seem to have a decent shot at. In fact, I would seem to be a nearly auto admit at a few of them. I've received unsolicited waivers from Tulsa, Cardozo, Richmond, Denver, Ohio Northern and Seton Hall. The only two I wouldn't be a sure thing at would seem to be Cardozo and Denver, based on my 3.31 and a 163. Or am I wrong?

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:48 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
No.

Wait, so schools send out waivers to people who aren't probable admits? I'm only receiving unsolicited fee waivers from schools that I would seem to have a decent shot at. In fact, I would seem to be a nearly auto admit at a few of them. I've received unsolicited waivers from Tulsa, Cardozo, Richmond, Denver, Ohio Northern and Seton Hall. The only two I wouldn't be a sure thing at would seem to be Cardozo and Denver, based on my 3.31 and a 163. Or am I wrong?
schools have different policies for sending fee waivers. i got one from UCLA based on my LSAT though my GPA is several points below their median. its possible that schools are looking at a combination of GPA and LSAT, or maybe either independently. or they could simply be casting a wide net.

you're probable at cardozo, i know nothing about denver. and lots of T2/T3 no name schools send waivers to most everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:32 pm

rw2264 wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
No.

schools have different policies for sending fee waivers. i got one from UCLA based on my LSAT though my GPA is several points below their median. its possible that schools are looking at a combination of GPA and LSAT, or maybe either independently. or they could simply be casting a wide net.

you're probable at cardozo, i know nothing about denver. and lots of T2/T3 no name schools send waivers to most everyone.
Would I be in or out at cardozo if you had to guess? I think you omitted the in or out part of that statement. Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 pm

monkeyboy wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
No.

You haven't gotten a fee waiver from UVA? Well, now we know they aren't giving them to literally everyone.

You're not wrong. Some bad schools just spam fee waivers to get way overqualified applicants to bump up their stats. But fee waivers often also come from schools where you stand little chance that want to deny you to lower their admit %. (Well, it's less evil than that, the motivation is probably to fish for people with incredible soft factors but weak scores, but lowering admit % and increasing the applicant pool size is part of it.)

monkeyboy

Bronze

Post by monkeyboy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:58 am

BenJ wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:
deadpanic wrote:
No.

You haven't gotten a fee waiver from UVA? Well, now we know they aren't giving them to literally everyone.

You're not wrong. Some bad schools just spam fee waivers to get way overqualified applicants to bump up their stats. But fee waivers often also come from schools where you stand little chance that want to deny you to lower their admit %. (Well, it's less evil than that, the motivation is probably to fish for people with incredible soft factors but weak scores, but lowering admit % and increasing the applicant pool size is part of it.)
But I haven't really received fee waivers from schools that would be a reach for me, or even an outside shot. My numbers, according to LSP, make me a strong consider or admit at all of the schools, except for Cardozo, that have contacted me. I'm still a consider at Cardozo. So should I feel confident that I'd gain admission to a strong consider or would I need to have great softs? I'm pretty sure I'd be a near sure thing at a lot of the strong considers, regardless of my softs.

So maybe I'm just not receiving fee waivers from the schools that would use me to juice their applicant numbers?

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:43 pm

monkeyboy wrote:But I haven't really received fee waivers from schools that would be a reach for me, or even an outside shot. My numbers, according to LSP, make me a strong consider or admit at all of the schools, except for Cardozo, that have contacted me. I'm still a consider at Cardozo. So should I feel confident that I'd gain admission to a strong consider or would I need to have great softs? I'm pretty sure I'd be a near sure thing at a lot of the strong considers, regardless of my softs.

So maybe I'm just not receiving fee waivers from the schools that would use me to juice their applicant numbers?
It's really impossible to predict where you would get in based solely on fee waivers. Perhaps you are a strong consider for the schools. That just means you have a good chance getting in no matter what, with or without receiving a fee waiver.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”