Yale... its ok to laugh at this one Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
lawschoolftw

Bronze

Yale... its ok to laugh at this one

Post by lawschoolftw » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Okay, so I recently got a packet from Yale encouraging me to apply based solely on my URM status (being PR). my numbers are nothing stellar at all 3.81/160. With the packet they sent an app to apply for a fee waiver as well. I also received an email from a student who was a member of one of the latino associations at Yale. I did not attend a prestigious university, I do not have any incredible softs, I feel like applying would be an utter and complete waste of time. I guess my question is I know I know I know that my odds are about one in one billion of even getting put on a wait list, but is there even that one in a billion shot that would make it worth the time to put in the app? Feel free to make jokes on my behalf, I feel a bit rediculous even posting this.

lawoftheland

New

Re: Yale... its ok to laugh at this one

Post by lawoftheland » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:47 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:Okay, so I recently got a packet from Yale encouraging me to apply based solely on my URM status (being PR). my numbers are nothing stellar at all 3.81/160. With the packet they sent an app to apply for a fee waiver as well. I also received an email from a student who was a member of one of the latino associations at Yale. I did not attend a prestigious university, I do not have any incredible softs, I feel like applying would be an utter and complete waste of time. I guess my question is I know I know I know that my odds are about one in one billion of even getting put on a wait list, but is there even that one in a billion shot that would make it worth the time to put in the app? Feel free to make jokes on my behalf, I feel a bit rediculous even posting this.

In before the slew of other RETAKE replies. With that said.... why not retake? You should shoot for a 170.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:48 pm

My odds are about as "good" as yours and I'm not applying. If you feel that the time and the money spent on the app is worth it, do it.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Yale soliciting you is only a good thing. A couple of hours (not including the 250 here, hehe.) of application work and $12 to LSAC to know. :).

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:51 pm

unfortunately this is a large problem with the legal profession right now. Essentially you *are getting a boost based solely on your race which is highly unfair. However, I read in a journal article though that the number of URM applicants with LSAT/GPA combo which qualify for Yale are almost non-existent, so I can kind of see why Yale would have too give a URM boost otherwise it would just be all white kids in the class.
Last edited by thegor1987 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:52 pm

thegor1987 wrote:unfortunately this is a large problem with the legal profession right now. Essentially you would be getting a boost based solely on your race which is highly unfair. However, I read in a journal article though that the number of URM applicants with LSAT/GPA combo which qualify for Yale are almost non-existent, so I can kind of see why Yale would have too give a URM boost otherwise it would just be all white kids in the class.

Dude, what the fuck?

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:52 pm

Yes, since all it will cost is your time, what do you have to loose? Remember, Yale doesn't really have much competition for applicants, so they can easily keep there medians where they want while reserving spots for applicants with lower numbers that they want for other reasons. So still a long shot, but especially if you have good softs, your chances might be better than you think.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:53 pm

Well, you can get a fee waiver. If you don't mind spending the time to do the 250-word statement, and you get a fee waiver, it might be worth a try. Very unlikely, though, maybe a 5% chance at most from off the wait list.

Retaking the LSAT in February could help (a 165-170 in February would be much better than a 160 now, up to maybe a 25% chance with URM), but only take it if you think you actually have room to improve (doing much better than 160 on PTs).

You should have a very strong chance just outside the T14, though (maybe even outside the T5; URMs are hard to predict). Where do you plan to apply?
Last edited by BenJ on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:53 pm

Ragged wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:unfortunately this is a large problem with the legal profession right now. Essentially you would be getting a boost based solely on your race which is highly unfair. However, I read in a journal article though that the number of URM applicants with LSAT/GPA combo which qualify for Yale are almost non-existent, so I can kind of see why Yale would have too give a URM boost otherwise it would just be all white kids in the class.

Dude, what the fuck?
I am highly against affirmative action.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hank44

New

Post by hank44 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:54 pm

thegor1987 wrote:
Ragged wrote:

Dude, what the fuck?
NO WAY!!!! Couldn't tell! :mrgreen:

thegor1987

Bronze

Post by thegor1987 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm

sorry guys, disregard my above post, there was absolutely no need to turn this into an anti-affirmative action debate.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:58 pm

May as well toss the app up. I will, and I don't have a shot in hell.

FuturehoyaLawya

New

Post by FuturehoyaLawya » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:13 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:Okay, so I recently got a packet from Yale encouraging me to apply based solely on my URM status (being PR). my numbers are nothing stellar at all 3.81/160. With the packet they sent an app to apply for a fee waiver as well. I also received an email from a student who was a member of one of the latino associations at Yale. I did not attend a prestigious university, I do not have any incredible softs, I feel like applying would be an utter and complete waste of time. I guess my question is I know I know I know that my odds are about one in one billion of even getting put on a wait list, but is there even that one in a billion shot that would make it worth the time to put in the app? Feel free to make jokes on my behalf, I feel a bit rediculous even posting this.
if you don't even believe your qualified or good enough to get in, why create a thread to talk about it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:18 pm

FuturehoyaLawya wrote:
if you don't even believe your qualified or good enough to get in, why create a thread to talk about it?
To be convinced of one way or the other through the (smart and stupid) dialogue (s)he can get through TLS.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks for all the responses guys. I figure I'll fill out the app, apply for the fee waiver. If they reject the fee waiver app i prob won't even pay for it because its such a long shot. I was looking at some of the sample personal statements they sent me and all there stories are so compelling. I feel like I don't have any kind of compelling story to even come close to overcoming the shortfall of my LSAT. Anyway thanks again!

jmaan

Bronze

Post by jmaan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:56 pm

hank44 wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:
Ragged wrote:

Dude, what the fuck?
NO WAY!!!! Couldn't tell! :mrgreen:
studies show that URMs get a boost...Asians get a negative boost and whites get nothing....so if u wanna be prejudice..Asians are smarter than whites

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:57 pm

Write the best 250 words of your life and you may have a chance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:00 pm

FuturehoyaLawya

New

Post by FuturehoyaLawya » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:01 pm

thegor1987 wrote:
Ragged wrote:

Dude, what the fuck?
why?? because the 160/3.8 PR kid is going to take your spot at Yale???

bogwai

New

Post by bogwai » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:03 pm

FuturehoyaLawya wrote:
thegor1987 wrote:
Ragged wrote:

Dude, what the fuck?
why?? because the 160/3.8 PR kid is going to take your spot at Yale???
The person can't spell "ridiculous" correctly. How the hell do you expect them to succeed at Yale?

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:03 pm

lawhawk wrote:Write the best 250 words of your life and you may have a chance.
even the yale admissions blog admits that the 250 does not have a significant impact on decisions.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:07 pm

bogwai wrote:
The person can't spell "ridiculous" correctly. How the hell do you expect them to succeed at Yale?
Yes, I agree with the above statement.

We all know that one's writing on an anonymous forum on the internet is representative of that person's intelligence.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”