3.61/175, applying just before deadlines Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
omohecce

New

3.61/175, applying just before deadlines

Post by omohecce » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:58 pm

3.61 (no worse than 3.7 any semester after a 2.6 1st semester of freshman year) in Philosophy
175 LSAT in September

Both recommenders will be faxing their letters in mid-January. Odds are I will be unable to get my applications in until just before February 1 deadlines.

Applying to:

- Columbia
- Chicago
- NYU
- Penn
- Virginia
- Duke
- Cornell
- GULC

I'm from Philadelphia and strongly targeting Penn. I may not even apply to CCN, but included them just to get a feel for the consensus on my chances...

Thoughts?
Last edited by omohecce on Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Re: 3.61/175, applying just before deadlines

Post by Sauer Grapes » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:00 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:01 pm

omohecce wrote:3.61 (obvious upward trend since 2.6 1st semester of freshman year) in Philosophy
175 LSAT in September

Both recommenders will be faxing their letters in mid-January. Odds are I will be unable to get my applications in until just before February 1 deadlines.

Applying to:

- Columbia
- NYU
- Penn
- Virginia
- Duke
- Cornell
- GULC

Thoughts?
Christ, why the hell have you been waiting so long with that 175?

You'd normally easily be in at all of those (possibly waitlisted at Penn but that's YP), and possibly even score some money from Columbia. This late, I just don't know.

omohecce

New

Post by omohecce » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:01 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:I'll guess you are in at all of them, unless a couple YP or WL you because of GPA. I don't think a WL will happen.
This seems optimistic. Even with the super-late app? Common wisdom here seems to be that a deadline app = death.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:03 pm

omohecce wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:I'll guess you are in at all of them, unless a couple YP or WL you because of GPA. I don't think a WL will happen.
This seems optimistic. Even with the super-late app? Common wisdom here seems to be that a deadline app = death.
You very well could end up becoming an LSN anomaly where you get nearly completely locked out of the T10. It's happened to people with your numbers, and it happens because they apply so late. Just make sure that if that ends up happening to you that you reapply next year and reap the potential HYS acceptance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

omohecce

New

Post by omohecce » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:04 pm

Tanicius wrote: You'd normally easily be in at all of those (possibly waitlisted at Penn but that's YP), and possibly even score some money from Columbia. This late, I just don't know.
Yeah, that's why I'm posting this thread. Trying to get a feel for just how bad a deadline app is.

For a few months I thought circumstances would prevent me from attending LS until '11, so I was gearing up for an application next cycle. Now things have changed and I'd REALLY like to go next year but have to wait for recommendations.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:05 pm

omohecce wrote:
Tanicius wrote: You'd normally easily be in at all of those (possibly waitlisted at Penn but that's YP), and possibly even score some money from Columbia. This late, I just don't know.
Yeah, that's why I'm posting this thread. Trying to get a feel for just how bad a deadline app is.

For a few months I thought circumstances would prevent me from attending LS until '11, so I was gearing up for an application next cycle. Now things have changed and I'd REALLY like to go next year but have to wait for recommendations.
Make sure and have the recommendations faxed, maybe that will make it so you can apply sooner.

futuristic rama

New

Post by futuristic rama » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:10 pm

I am not much of an expert but schools should give you a consideration considering that the deadline is still February 1. I imagine that they specifically look for people like you to apply last minute, that is why they have waitlists and that's why they do not respond to many of the early applicants until late in March/April.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:11 pm

futuristic rama wrote:I am not much of an expert but schools should give you a consideration considering that the deadline is still February 1. I imagine that they specifically look for people like you to apply last minute, that is why they have waitlists and that's why they do not respond to many of the early applicants until late in March/April.
This is true. The concern is moreso that you are definitely forgoing some scholarship money by applying this late, and possibly even an admission to HYS. And as we all know, it's also a real possibility that one of your top choices just doesn't need your numbers anymore and waitlists you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Tanicius wrote:
futuristic rama wrote:I am not much of an expert but schools should give you a consideration considering that the deadline is still February 1. I imagine that they specifically look for people like you to apply last minute, that is why they have waitlists and that's why they do not respond to many of the early applicants until late in March/April.
This is true. The concern is moreso that you are definitely forgoing some scholarship money by applying this late, and possibly even an admission to HYS. And as we all know, it's also a real possibility that one of your top choices just doesn't need your numbers anymore and waitlists you.
I dunno much about your softs and your personal statement, but I have a feeling the lateness wouldn't matter tooooo much for Yale, since decision aren't made on a rolling basis.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:31 pm

OP isn't getting HYS even if he applied Sept 1.

OP should apply to Penn only, if that is what they want. Ride the waitlist. Then apply to HYS, CCN, P next year the first day apps are up (With a new PS).

omohecce

New

Post by omohecce » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:OP isn't getting HYS even if he applied Sept 1.

OP should apply to Penn only, if that is what they want. Ride the waitlist. Then apply to HYS, CCN, P next year the first day apps are up (With a new PS).
This, on the other hand, seems pretty pessimistic. Now that I look at it, LSN seems to show plenty of admits with similar numbers to CCN&P who sent after Feb-1 last year.

Anyone have experience applying this late?

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:24 am

In at most if not all. Let Penn know you're really interested (to avoid YP). Don't feel too bad about the late apps--it's not like HYS would happen even if you applied earlier, and you're just about auto-admit everywhere else. CCN should be interesting.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

omohecce

New

Post by omohecce » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:55 pm

I'm pretty sure I have enough connections to Philly/UPenn to convince them that I'm seriously interested. Hope so at least. Thanks for the input everyone!

omohecce

New

Post by omohecce » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:06 pm

1 recommendation in (praise allah for fax machines), one to go......

I've decided to apply to H, Y, CLS, N, and P. If I can't get P or better, I'll just sulk and wait until next cycle.

Predicting rejections at HY and an acceptance at P. CN will likely be a tossup...I'm happy to be a case study for semi-splitters applying late in the future!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:08 pm

omohecce wrote:1 recommendation in (praise allah for fax machines), one to go......

I've decided to apply to H, Y, CLS, N, and P. If I can't get P or better, I'll just sulk and wait until next cycle.

Predicting rejections at HY and an acceptance at P. CN will likely be a tossup...I'm happy to be a case study for semi-splitters applying late in the future!
As long as you explain to Penn how badly you want them, they will give it to you and probably some good money as well. Good luck.

omohecce

New

Post by omohecce » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Tanicius wrote: Good luck.
thank you sir!

...and some money at Penn would definitely be pretty mouthwatering.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

omohecce

New

Post by omohecce » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:43 am

OKAY, Just submitted apps to

Harvard, Columbia, Chicago, Penn, Virginia, Duke, and Cornell.

Hopefully it isn't too late for me. We'll find out soon....let this be a test run for procrastinators of future generations. Anyone want to humor me and make predictions??

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:03 am

Last year, I applied to the usual suspects three days before the Feb 1 deadline (3.7/177). I heard back from NYU and Duke rather quickly (like within 10 business days). Berkeley and Columbia got back to me in March. UVA and Harvard WL'd me in April, but the latter eventually took me. Stanford rejected me in April. Chicago never got back to me.

Edit: I bet you'll get into NYU very quickly. Your numbers are good, and if you are applying this late, you cannot apply for any of their big scholarships (which would have slowed down the admissions process).

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:06 am

Applying this late might be harsh. I hope you wrote a strong "Why Penn?" because they might YP you if they don't know they're your first choice.

Regardless, good luck.

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:37 am

omohecce wrote:1 recommendation in (praise allah for fax machines), one to go......

If it helps - I'm 3.5/173 and got into N. I'm Philadelphia local too and am now waiting (anxiously) to hear from P. Definitely write the Why Penn if you haven't already.

omohecce

New

Post by omohecce » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Good luck! I actually didn't apply to N, since they didn't send me a fee waiver and I'd go to Penn over them anyway. I definitely did write the Why Penn essay.......hope it works for both of us!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”