167/2.5 soft factors Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hurley81

New

167/2.5 soft factors

Post by hurley81 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:43 am

I'm a 28 year old Canadian Caucasian male who scored 167 on the December LSAT and have a 2.5 LSDAS GPA (3.0 UGPA). I've got a pretty good idea of what US schools I have a chance at based on these numbers, but I feel like I'm somewhat of a unique candidate, and was wondering where I should apply based on the following soft factors:

I've spent 4.5 years living and working in Seoul, South Korea. During that time I've traveled Asia, worked as a school teacher, and for the last 3 years I've been employed as a staff writer with a publishing company, where I've been involved in the publication of around 11 English language books (writer, co-writer, or editor). I also speak basic Korean (very basic).

A couple years ago, in an attempt to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, I moved to the US for 8 months and spent a year taking grad/undergrad courses in law and political science. I was also able to take 2 law school courses, getting an A and an A-. My cumulative GPA for the 2 semesters was 3.95, and one of the law school professors wrote my LOR, and said it would be "glowing" recommendation. Obviously, these grades aren't calculated as part of my LSDAS GPA; but will law schools take them into consideration? I feel like they're an accurate reflection of who I am now, as opposed to my LSDAS GPA, which reflects the drunken jack ass I was 5 years ago.

So, based on all that, where should I apply? Do I have a chance at the top 25?

rw2264

Bronze

Re: 167/2.5 soft factors

Post by rw2264 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:13 am

put a GPA addendum pointing to your most recent coursework and your work experience. you should apply to reaches, and lots of them. you'll probably get in somewhere with your story.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:31 am

your softs don't strike me as game-changing, but as a splitter you should indeed apply broadly.

hurley81

New

Post by hurley81 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:32 am

Should I mention my successful second attempt at university/work experience in an addendum, or in the personal statement? I was told to use the addendum only to explain mitigating factors...

Also, based on the numbers and/or soft factors, what chances would I have at these reach schools:

Washington St. Louis
William and Mary
Washington and Lee
American
Minnesota
Illinois
Indiana

Thanks again

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”