Full ride? 171/4.11 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Scrutinizer

New

Full ride? 171/4.11

Post by Scrutinizer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:21 am

171/4.11/MA/Interesting softs/International work experience

I've applied to some T-10 schools, but I reckon I'm only willing to pay sticker for HYS. I'm Canadian so I can always go back to Canada and get a good legal education for a fraction of what it costs to go to the states. But I'd consider a full-ride at a T1 school.

Are there particular schools known for buying students with stats like mine?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Full ride? 171/4.11

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:41 am

With stats like yours, you might get $$ from lower T14 schools. I hope you applied to Georgetown, Northwestern, and Duke.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:28 am

If i had your stats I'd just go to U of T and have great chances for a great job in Canada. Why go to a lower US law school with the uncertainty of being able to work after school? I didnt think it was so easy to continue working in the states after going to school here.

Mal

New

Post by Mal » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:35 am

tjeffery wrote:If i had your stats I'd just go to U of T and have great chances for a great job in Canada. Why go to a lower US law school with the uncertainty of being able to work after school? I didnt think it was so easy to continue working in the states after going to school here.
U of T has almost no merit aid, its mostly needs based. Just saying, it might not be a terrible idea depending on the school.

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:38 am

Ya I guess less competition in Canada means less need for schools to give out merit aid, I still think the citizenship and working status is the chief question though, have to be sure that you can get working visa to US after you graduate. I say this as a dual US/ Canadian citizen sure that picking a school in whichever country ties me to the country for my career, its hard to switch with bar passages and all that.

Scrutinizer

New

Post by Scrutinizer » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:39 am

vanwinkle wrote:With stats like yours, you might get $$ from lower T14 schools. I hope you applied to Georgetown, Northwestern, and Duke.
I applied to NU. Not GT or Duke.
Mal wrote:
tjeffery wrote:If i had your stats I'd just go to U of T and have great chances for a great job in Canada. Why go to a lower US law school with the uncertainty of being able to work after school? I didnt think it was so easy to continue working in the states after going to school here.
U of T has almost no merit aid, its mostly needs based. Just saying, it might not be a terrible idea depending on the school.
Yeah my thought process is that if I can get a full ride and maybe stipend I can save myself anywhere from $80 000-$150 000 in debt. As to post-grad employment, I'm not sure how straight forward it is, but it looks like getting a visa provided one has a job offer from a firm isn't that hard. There's certainly no shortage of Canadian lawyers working in the states.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”